Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 03:15 PM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
If the subject is separated from the background, a sharp telephoto lens allows for pop. Even if the bokeh is nothing special, the effect can be good.
DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR

FA*300 f4.5

And even if there isn't a huge degree of separation. FA*300 f4.5
As I can see, 3d pop it's especially at higher aperture... But it happens at wide open or close with lenses "suffering" from field curvature and soft corners but having good micro contrast: Sigma 30mm f1.4 first version, the three amigos - fa limited, etc...

02-09-2019, 03:16 PM - 1 Like   #17
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If the subject is separated from the background, a sharp telephoto lens allows for pop. Even if the bokeh is nothing special, the effect can be good.
Agreed, Des... My comment regarding wide angle use in Mark's shot related to the further separation created by stretching out the repeating posts into the background. But yes, absolutely - if there is subject-to-background separation due to depth of field alone, then a tele lens works very well
02-09-2019, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #18
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
As I can see, 3d pop it's especially at higher aperture... But it happens at wide open or close with lenses "suffering" from field curvature and soft corners but having good micro contrast: Sigma 30mm f1.4 first version, the three amigos - fa limited, etc...
Frankly, I wouldn't over-think the field curvature. Composition is far more important, IMHO. If you compose your photo to give priority to the necessary elements, and use the aperture setting creatively, individual lens characteristics shouldn't matter too much.

I think there are many occasions where folks feel "3D pop" is the result of a specific lens, when in fact it's the way that lens was used, and the way the scene was composed, that created the effect. This is, by the way, a common area of confusion for folks trying to achieve (for example) "swirly bokeh" with certain known lenses. There's a significant element of correct application involved, not just the properties of the lens. So it is with "3D pop"
02-09-2019, 06:26 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I think there are many occasions where folks feel "3D pop" is the result of a specific lens, when in fact it's the way that lens was used, and the way the scene was composed, that created the effect. This is, by the way, a common area of confusion for folks trying to achieve (for example) "swirly bokeh" with certain known lenses. There's a significant element of correct application involved, not just the properties of the lens. So it is with "3D pop"
Agreed Mike. I remained mute on the lens I used for my photo. Truly, the only features of the lens I used that aided the pop was its close focusing ability and the absence of lens abberations. Most modern lenses can do these two things well at f11. And so, it is incumbent on the photographer to frame the image in a way that delivers the desired effect.

---------- Post added 10-02-19 at 12:39 PM ----------

DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR
Des, in this photo, I feel composition is also evident. You have used negative space as one of four distinct layers (1. sharp in focus object; 2. slightly less sharp and slighty out of focus leaf; 3. less sharp and out of focus leaf; 4. Negative space). Also, the change in leaf size between 2 and 3 gives a sense of scale.

Good one!

02-09-2019, 08:11 PM - 4 Likes   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Hows this?
02-09-2019, 09:06 PM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hows this?
Dazzling image. Is it focus stacked?
02-09-2019, 11:01 PM   #22

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Hows this?
This image works too! Sharpness, colors, contrast combination...

02-10-2019, 12:01 AM - 3 Likes   #23
Pentaxian

Good contrast and the illusion of depth using perspective seems to work great.

02-10-2019, 02:51 AM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
Good contrast and the illusion of depth using perspective seems to work great.

Very good examples! Other faces of 3d... I have the Tamron, too, very good lens optically but mechanically it's not that good. The 40mm it's tempting but I have the 15 limited, 31 limited so I don't think I should nead that lens...
02-10-2019, 04:20 AM - 1 Like   #25
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
Des, in this photo, I feel composition is also evident. You have used negative space as one of four distinct layers (1. sharp in focus object; 2. slightly less sharp and slighty out of focus leaf; 3. less sharp and out of focus leaf; 4. Negative space). Also, the change in leaf size between 2 and 3 gives a sense of scale.Good one!
Thanks Mark. I wish I could say that I planned it all that way. :-) I think that a lot of composition is instinctive, based on experience.

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Composition is far more important, IMHO. If you compose your photo to give priority to the necessary elements, and use the aperture setting creatively, individual lens characteristics shouldn't matter too much.
That's an astute observation, if I may say so. If a lens is capable of good resolution and microcontrast (and you can avoid nisen bokeh), it's capable of producing images that pop in the right circumstances when used well.
02-10-2019, 04:29 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanks Mark. I wish I could say that I planned it all that way. :-) I think that a lot of composition is instinctive, based on experience.

That's an astute observation, if I may say so. If a lens is capable of good resolution and microcontrast (and you can avoid nisen bokeh), it's capable of producing images that pop in the right circumstances when used well.
Question: How much does it really matter the format, apsc vs full frame vs medium?
02-10-2019, 05:32 AM - 2 Likes   #27

Original Poster
Question: How much does it really matter the format, apsc vs full frame vs medium?
Some 3d with my Sigma 105 macro
Drops of life | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
02-10-2019, 06:29 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I would expect a foreground and a background for something to pop in the middle. Most images lack one of these.
02-10-2019, 06:59 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I would expect a foreground and a background for something to pop in the middle. Most images lack one of these.
Something like this?
Johanna and the sea | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
Or like this?
Run Foresta, run! | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
02-10-2019, 10:21 AM - 2 Likes   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Dazzling image. Is it focus stacked?
Yeah. I don't recall how many exposures, probably 18 or so.

---------- Post added 02-10-19 at 11:22 AM ----------

This image works too! Sharpness, colors, contrast combination...
Thank you. I blame the lens. It's a really good one.

Last edited by Wheatfield; 02-10-2019 at 07:28 PM. Reason: Bad echo