Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 55 Likes Search this Thread
02-09-2019, 10:29 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What's 3d pop for me...

Lemur | Madagaskar | Sergii Fugarov | Flickr
This monkey it's jumping out of the image!
And this monkey, too!
Lemur Propithecus coquereli | ?????? ????????, Madagaskar | Flickr
Pentax da 55mm f1.4 sdm... I hope this Flickr user wouldn't be upset about it. Great work! I have the lens but no real 3d, yet...

02-09-2019, 11:13 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Those are great. 3d in a photo is pretty difficult for me to achieve, but here's one where I got lucky:

*Also, those are Lemurs!
02-09-2019, 11:22 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Those are great. 3d in a photo is pretty difficult for me to achieve, but here's one where I got lucky:

*Also, those are Lemurs!
Yes, lemurs... I' m really obsessed lately about achieving that 3d pop and I surely have the gear: 55mm sdm, 31mm limited, Pentax f 50mm f1.7, Helios 44-k, even my Samyang 85mm has it, my Tamron 17-50mm and Pentax hd or smc 55-300mm, in the right condition...
02-09-2019, 01:12 PM - 2 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Spiratone Plura-Coat 24mm 2.8 is the most reliable for me. Looks even more intense at full resolution if you click and go to Flickr.

02-09-2019, 01:22 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
Spiratone Plura-Coat 24mm 2.8 is the most reliable for me. Looks even more intense at full resolution if you click and go to Flickr.

Very nice! It's clear for me that 3d occurs even if there's not quite a smooth bokeh... The 43mm limited it's a clear case...
02-09-2019, 01:30 PM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The Spiratone is a bubble bokeh machine. Under the right conditions, it does this while still delivering a 3D look.
02-09-2019, 01:44 PM - 4 Likes   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

So-called "3D" pop is an interesting thing. It would seem to mean different things to different people, and as such can involve a number of different aspects and properties.

In your case (and I believe it's a valid one), subject isolation through creative use of depth of field appears to be the key. I think this is most evident when the subject, and perhaps other foreground elements, are in focus, while the background is considerably out-of-focus. Better still, if there are few if any elements showing a transition between the two - as in the following test shot, taken with a Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset T-mount lens. Not a great photo, but it shows a central flower and some foreground floral details in the lower right, both in sharp focus, with a blurred background and very little transitional matter:

02-09-2019, 01:45 PM - 6 Likes   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the examples so far but I also think a smooth bokeh looks good for that 3D pop too:

Shot with a FA31 f1.8 Limited.
02-09-2019, 01:47 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kernos Quote
The Spiratone is a bubble bokeh machine. Under the right conditions, it does this while still delivering a 3D look.
I've had the Spiratone 20mm f2.8, surely very painterly bokeh, a very impressionistic type! Yours it's very similar... But optically, my version was a crap!
02-09-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #10
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I think a smooth bokeh looks good for that 3D pop too:

This perfectly demonstrates what I was saying about very little (if any) transitional matter between in focus subject and out-of-focus background...

Great shot, by the way
02-09-2019, 01:48 PM - 1 Like   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
So-called "3D" pop is an interesting thing. It would seem to mean different things to different people, and as such can involve a number of different aspects and properties.

In your case (and I believe it's a valid one), subject isolation through creative use of depth of field appears to be the key. I think this is most evident when the subject, and perhaps other foreground elements, are in focus, while the background is considerably out-of-focus. Better still, if there are few if any elements showing a transition between the two - as in the following test shot, taken with a Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset T-mount lens. Not a great photo, but it shows a central flower and some foreground floral details in the lower right, both in sharp focus, with a blurred background and very little transitional matter:
This could be one of many 3d pop faces...

---------- Post added 02-09-2019 at 01:50 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
I like the examples so far but I also think a smooth bokeh looks good for that 3D pop too:

Yes, the smooth bokeh does the job sometimes, I've noticed it especially on my Samyang 85mm...
02-09-2019, 02:12 PM - 4 Likes   #12
Veteran Member

This perfectly demonstrates what I was saying about very little (if any) transitional matter between in focus subject and out-of-focus background...

Great shot, by the way
You can even achieve the 3D pop with only minor out of focus blur. Compositional arrangement helps too.

This shot at f11

02-09-2019, 02:20 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wild Mark Quote
You can even achieve the 3D pop with only minor out of focus blur. Compositional arrangement helps too.

This shot at f11
Agreed, Mark Here, IMHO, it's due to a singular subject in the foreground taking priority and very few other elements showing transitional out-of-focus except for repetitions of the subject, and the ground. Had there been a busier foreground or background, I doubt the "pop" would have been as noticeable...
02-09-2019, 02:41 PM   #14

Original Poster

This shot at f11

Yes, another good example!
02-09-2019, 02:59 PM - 2 Likes   #15
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In your case (and I believe it's a valid one), subject isolation through creative use of depth of field appears to be the key
You can even achieve the 3D pop with only minor out of focus blur.
Here, IMHO, it's due to a singular subject in the foreground taking priority and very few other elements showing transitional out-of-focus except for repetitions of the subject, and the ground.
If the subject is separated from the background, a sharp telephoto lens allows for pop. Even if the bokeh is nothing special, the effect can be good.
DFA 100mm f2.8 macro WR

FA*300 f4.5

And even if there isn't a huge degree of separation. FA*300 f4.5