Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-10-2019, 09:22 AM - 2 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Something big, but what is it

Looking at all the new EVF cameras as well as Pentax‘ development speed, the next big thing could really be an optical viewfinder overlay with EVF. No new system or mount needed, but you gain on sensor AF as well as eye AF in the finder.... Patent was filed last year by Pentax. This idea appears more realistic than other killer features often wanted.
OK, to become less realistic: I want to upgrade my K1ii to include whatever comes along.
Who needs more pixel, who assumes super fast AF from Pentax, who asks for EVF only camera with new mount...

02-10-2019, 10:57 AM - 3 Likes   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Something big? DFA 600mm f4....
02-10-2019, 02:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I'd take an EVF!!
I've said before that implementing some of the perks of a mirrorless system would be great. There's no need to create a new mount even if they went full mirrorless.
02-10-2019, 02:06 PM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Looking back: Canon's eye-controlled focus: Digital Photography Review

Something like the old Canon eye autofocus would be useful for selecting focus points.

Last edited by UncleVanya; 02-10-2019 at 04:51 PM.
02-10-2019, 04:03 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

I'd love a hybrid viewfinder. I like to compose with the camera off all the time so I don't want to give up that, but I also want easier to read data over what I'm seeing.
02-11-2019, 12:06 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Something big? DFA 600mm f4....
No chance. You do not stop development of large aperture tele lenses for 10 years to pump out a f/4 600mm out of nothing. Also, this is the DSLR forum, not the lens section. Pentax lens portfolio does the job. A couple more lenses from the roadmap are really needed, other additions would be nice, but the f/4 600 will be a silver giant on eBay for a long time. ON the other hand, I would buy redesigned 500/600 lens.

EVF only would be a lame duck. Too many smaller footprint mirrorless cameras around and you would need to prepare a full set of lenses to go with it. It would on the other hand be nice to join forces with some mirror less system to mount existing Pentax glass and grow on the side of others - sounds like L-mount alliance and I do not see it happen. Think about Canon glass on Sony. No official alliance, but Canon shooters bought Sony so far.

A smart combination of EVF/OVF should be possible without too much effort down the road, all the glass keeps fitting and all new optical developments are still good for a long time.
02-11-2019, 01:44 AM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Digital 6x7 with hybrid viewfinder at 10k. Design-wise like a K-1 on (some) steroids.

02-11-2019, 01:54 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by yucafrita Quote
Digital 6x7 with hybrid viewfinder at 10k. Design-wise like a K-1 on (some) steroids.

That would be pretty amazing
02-11-2019, 02:12 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
No chance. You do not stop development of large aperture tele lenses for 10 years to pump out a f/4 600mm out of nothing. Also, this is the DSLR forum, not the lens section. Pentax lens portfolio does the job. A couple more lenses from the roadmap are really needed, other additions would be nice, but the f/4 600 will be a silver giant on eBay for a long time. ON the other hand, I would buy redesigned 500/600 lens.

EVF only would be a lame duck. Too many smaller footprint mirrorless cameras around and you would need to prepare a full set of lenses to go with it. It would on the other hand be nice to join forces with some mirror less system to mount existing Pentax glass and grow on the side of others - sounds like L-mount alliance and I do not see it happen. Think about Canon glass on Sony. No official alliance, but Canon shooters bought Sony so far.

A smart combination of EVF/OVF should be possible without too much effort down the road, all the glass keeps fitting and all new optical developments are still good for a long time.

I guess you are right. And as long as my DA560 works well, I don't need another lens that much. Would I buy 500mm f/4 or f/4.5 with 1.7x TC? Yes, I would. But I don't believe there's one in the pipeline, either.

New APS-C flagship, replacement of K-3 II, that's what we really need. This one in combo with DA560 could be enough for my needs for next couple of years.
02-17-2019, 12:53 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I hate to mention the rest of the camera world is presenting some intersesting cameras at CP+. All mirrorless, lots of new glass, most with ibis... covering all the Pentax strong points while Pentax is ... slow ... to say the least.
02-17-2019, 02:18 AM   #11
Pentaxian

I hate to mention the rest of the camera world is presenting some intersesting cameras at CP+. All mirrorless, lots of new glass, most with ibis... covering all the Pentax strong points while Pentax is ... slow ... to say the least.

CP+ 2019
"Thursday, February 28 to Sunday, March 3, 2019"

Did I miss something?
02-25-2019, 06:07 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Eye AF is something I'd really like.
As is real tracking AF capabilities and increased video capabilities.

All could be incremental improvements, but I'd like to see a tangible / significant step forward in some of these areas, as frankly it's been a long time since that last happened now.
02-25-2019, 08:42 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Looking at all the new EVF cameras as well as Pentax‘ development speed, the next big thing could really be an optical viewfinder overlay with EVF. No new system or mount needed, but you gain on sensor AF as well as eye AF in the finder.... Patent was filed last year by Pentax. This idea appears more realistic than other killer features often wanted.
OK, to become less realistic: I want to upgrade my K1ii to include whatever comes along.
Who needs more pixel, who assumes super fast AF from Pentax, who asks for EVF only camera with new mount...
Member @OoKU has pointed us to a Pentax document that seems to announce, or pre-announce, a DFA* 85 lens and a "Custom" variant of the KP.

KP custom,DFA*85/1.4 CP+ Exhibit - PentaxForums.com
02-25-2019, 10:06 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
I guess you are right. And as long as my DA560 works well, I don't need another lens that much. Would I buy 500mm f/4 or f/4.5 with 1.7x TC? Yes, I would. But I don't believe there's one in the pipeline, either.

New APS-C flagship, replacement of K-3 II, that's what we really need. This one in combo with DA560 could be enough for my needs for next couple of years.
I agree a K-3 replacement is what is needed the most. I would be interested if a 560mm F/4 came out with a 1.4x teleconverter designed for that lens. That would make it a 800mm F/5.6.
02-26-2019, 01:39 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Sounds like the big reveal is a wooden handle?