Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 10:03 AM   #46
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Those lenses are both slower and wider than the 85 f1.4 Samyang. This will make them easier to find focus with due to depth of field being deeper than the Sy lens at f1.4.

02-21-2019, 01:22 AM   #47

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
Those lenses are both slower and wider than the 85 f1.4 Samyang. This will make them easier to find focus with due to depth of field being deeper than the Sy lens at f1.4.
I don't want to mock this lens so some shots. The bokeh it's fantastic:
Waiting fot Godot | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
A little beauty | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
Colorful | Baubec Izzet | Flickr
03-01-2019, 12:12 PM   #48
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Taken with a Samyang 85mm on a Samsung NX1 mirrorless at f/2. I don't think that I would be able to pull this off with an OVF. It also helped that my subject sat perfectly still.

Last edited by Wasp; 03-01-2019 at 12:19 PM.
03-01-2019, 01:20 PM - 1 Like   #49

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
Taken with a Samyang 85mm on a Samsung NX1 mirrorless at f/2. I don't think that I would be able to pull this off with an OVF. It also helped that my subject sat perfectly still.
Yes, at f2 don't have many problems to focus. I've sent the lens for repair because It's still in guarantee. I have wrote on a note about sticky level aperture problem and in camera focus correction. Let's see what it's coming back!

03-01-2019, 04:30 PM   #50
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
Yes, at f2 don't have many problems to focus. I've sent the lens for repair because It's still in guarantee. I have wrote on a note about sticky level aperture problem and in camera focus correction. Let's see what it's coming back!
Good move. I know for sure that a well-adjusted example of this lens is capable of really good photos at all apertures, even wide open, so long as accurate focus is nailed. Hopefully, when yours comes back, you'll be able to enjoy it. If you still have problems, you might reasonably consider that you're having problems with accurate focusing at f/1.4.

Let us know how you get on?
03-01-2019, 10:06 PM   #51

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good move. I know for sure that a well-adjusted example of this lens is capable of really good photos at all apertures, even wide open, so long as accurate focus is nailed. Hopefully, when yours comes back, you'll be able to enjoy it. If you still have problems, you might reasonably consider that you're having problems with accurate focusing at f/1.4.

Let us know how you get on?
I will come back with news...
03-28-2019, 12:01 AM   #52

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
I will come back with news...
Hello again! My lens came back! Guess what: they did nothing! They say that it was tested with two cameras and no problem! Let's say I was wrong with the focusing problems but still got blank images from time to time because of that sticky aperture lever... The lens came back in m position on the aperture ring: maybe they not even tested on av mode... The good news are that I have a 5 years guarantee card so I can given them a headache, again! For now I will wait until the sticky aperture lever problem to get worse or to cure itself! If it's gonna be worse I will send it back and this time I'm gonna make a video with the issue... I think that guarantee card it's just for dummies! This is the message that I've sent them, too! Surely, they don't love me!) Thank you all for support! Happy shooting for you all!

03-28-2019, 04:09 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pres589 Quote
raise the camera to your eye and shoot using your own visual abilities
So basically is it just a matter of using your own eyes over all else?
Aside from the focus confirmation (beep) is there anything else that aids in focusing with this thing?
03-28-2019, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #54
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
So basically is it just a matter of using your own eyes over all else?
Aside from the focus confirmation (beep) is there anything else that aids in focusing with this thing?
"Live View", as with any other manual focusing lens on any modern DSLR. Phase-detect focusing sensors on a DSLR body can only do so much. For critical focus, especially where very shallow depth-of-field is concerned, you really need to use Live View for accurate focusing. In film SLR days, a split-prism focusing screen was used to enable quite accurate results, but in these days of 100%+ reproduction in post-processing, even that approach has limitations.

This is one reason why mirrorless cameras are so popular for manual focus lens use... the EVF is a live view electronic display. Personally, I prefer using an optical viewfinder most of the time, but if I'm shooting with manual focusing lenses, I'll pick an EVF any day of the week...
03-28-2019, 05:22 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

EVF
Off topic but Imagine if the K1 had EVF
03-28-2019, 05:32 PM - 1 Like   #56
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by brightseal Quote
Off topic but Imagine if the K1 had EVF
One day, I hope (and I don't believe I'm alone) that manufacturers will develop hybrid-viewfinder DSLRs... where there's an option for optical or electronic display in the viewfinder - and, better still, selectable combinations so that information and focus-peaking can be super-imposed on the optical view. For now, though, we'll have to choose one or the other, and each has advantages and disadvantages based on individual use cases...
03-28-2019, 07:40 PM   #57

Original Poster
One day, I hope (and I don't believe I'm alone) that manufacturers will develop hybrid-viewfinder DSLRs... where there's an option for optical or electronic display in the viewfinder - and, better still, selectable combinations so that information and focus-peaking can be super-imposed on the optical view. For now, though, we'll have to choose one or the other, and each has advantages and disadvantages based on individual use cases...
My technique it's burst shots and moving the focusing ring when I hear the beep and at least one of the shots will be sharp...
03-28-2019, 09:29 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Kind of like how cars have had heads-up displays that would show information on the windshield, I've hoped that there would be a camera that would show focus peaking on the focusing screen in an otherwise traditional viewfinder. I imagine that would lead to a very large camera that no one would want to use...

My hope would be a camera the size of a traditional 35mm film body (think LX or Spotmatic or whatever) that is mirrorless and has an EVF displaying focus information like you get on today's mirrorless bodies from Fuji or Sony or whoever. Full-frame sensor and take the focusing motor out of the body to save space.
03-28-2019, 11:32 PM   #59
Veteran Member

Samyang 85mm f1.4 is a relatively sharp lens can it is good at f1.4 and getting worse when you stopped down after f2.8
03-28-2019, 11:35 PM   #60

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MegaPower Quote
Samyang 85mm f1.4 is a relatively sharp lens can it is good at f1.4 and getting worse when you stopped down after f2.8
Not my experience! Very, I said very sharp from f2.8! It can be a very good landscape lens! But, strangely or not you have to refocus if you focused first on f1.4 if you want to shoot at f4, 5.6 etc