Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2019, 11:05 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Just for fun, build a camera within USD 1300 budget

With Canon's new FF MILC camera and that pricing, how would you like to see Pentax's take for a USD1300 camera?

Last edited by BigMackCam; 02-17-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: Corrected unfortunate spelling ;)
02-17-2019, 11:39 AM - 2 Likes   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would envision something like the K-70, but with a full frame sensor. Leave out the magnesium alloy body, high-durability shutter, and extra control dials, but keep just about everything else from the K-1. The body would probably grow a bit as well, but hopefully not by much.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-17-2019, 12:13 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by wed7 Quote
Just for fun, build a camera within USD 1300 budget
You can find cheaper than that, 5 years old camera with 5000 shutter count, second hand market.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 02-17-2019 at 12:44 PM.
02-17-2019, 12:46 PM - 1 Like   #4
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

With Canon's new FF MILC camera and that pricing, how would you like to see Pentax's take for a USD1300 camera?
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can find cheaper that than, 5 years old camera with 5000 shutter count, second hand market.
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I would envision something like the K-70, but with a full frame sensor. Leave out the magnesium alloy body, high-durability shutter, and extra control dials, but keep just about everything else from the K-1. The body would probably grow a bit as well, but hopefully not by much.
If, as the OP suggested, Ricoh was building a brand-new MILC camera within this price bracket, I think it would have to utilise the existing K-1 / K-1II sensor. In-body image stabilisation is a must - partly because it's available in older (but still current) Sony models at considerably less than the stated price, but primarily because this is a staple selling point of Pentax bodies. And it should include a KAF4 adapter, especially since it would be some time before any native lenses could be developed. Beyond that, just "basic" functionality - the usual shooting modes, but no fancy facilities. A no-frills stills camera with excellent image quality from a trusted previous-generation sensor that is better, in terms of resolution, than Canon's RP...

02-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
That looks nice, a FF, SR and full articulating screen. With SR being differentiator.

---------- Post added 02-18-2019 at 04:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
You can find cheaper than that, 5 years old camera with 5000 shutter count, second hand market.
You are right, but five years is five years, there lots on innovations in the camera world addeds after that. In five years, MILC cameras has become more available in all brands that even Canon and Nikon are now following suit. Price point of 2K USD cameras has been set. And now Canon is trying to even lower that price point.

---------- Post added 02-18-2019 at 04:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If, as the OP suggested, Ricoh was building a brand-new MILC camera within this price bracket, I think it would have to utilise the existing K-1 / K-1II sensor. In-body image stabilisation is a must - partly because it's available in older (but still current) Sony models at considerably less than the stated price, but primarily because this is a staple selling point of Pentax bodies. And it should include a KAF4 adapter, especially since it would be some time before any native lenses could be developed. Beyond that, just "basic" functionality - the usual shooting modes, but no fancy facilities. A no-frills stills camera with excellent image quality from a trusted previous-generation sensor that is better, in terms of resolution, than Canon's RP...
We have known Pentax that they can give us good value cameras, I just want to know what do you think can Pentax give with a 1300 USD camera now that some other brands are now offering FF at that price pint. Of course Pentax can only give DSLR at the moment. Unless people are willing to buy a Theta cameras at that price.
02-17-2019, 01:39 PM   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

We have known Pentax that they can give us good value cameras, I just want to know what do you think can Pentax give with a 1300 USD camera now that some other brands are now offering FF at that price pint. Of course Pentax can only give DSLR at the moment. Unless people are willing to buy a Theta cameras at that price.
Then my suggestion stands:

- existing K-1 / K-1II sensor
- in-body image stabilisation (a big Pentax selling point)
- KAF4 adapter included (due to lead time on native lenses, and ability to support old lenses - another big Pentax selling point)
- Basic functionality - the usual shooting modes with no fancy features

02-17-2019, 02:25 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
- FF PDAF on sensor (24-36 MP)

- IBIS
- Mirrorless K-mount
- Dual card slot

- WR Polycarb body
- Flippy touch screen
- 550g - 650g

02-17-2019, 02:37 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes x10

---------- Post added 02-17-19 at 02:39 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Belnan Quote
Yes x10
Sorry, with a 24mp FF sensor.
02-17-2019, 02:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I imagine the next Pentax APS-C flagship would fall in that MSRP. All the strengths of the K-3, with improvements as introduced
in the KP, K-1 and K-70. That would satisfy me just fine.
02-17-2019, 02:49 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

- IBIS
- Mirrorless K-mount
- Dual card slot

- WR Polycarb body
- Flippy touch screen
- 550g - 650g
First they'd need to solve the banding issues with on-sensor PDAF AF.
02-17-2019, 03:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
First they'd need to solve the banding issues with on-sensor PDAF AF.
I forgot about that. I guess that rules out using the existing K-1 / K-1II sensor if PDAF is a requirement...
02-17-2019, 03:05 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote

- IBIS
- Mirrorless K-mount
- Dual card slot

- WR Polycarb body
- Flippy touch screen
- 550g - 650g
Wow, that size and dimension would really pair nice with the FA Lims.
02-17-2019, 03:06 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I forgot about that. I guess that rules out using the existing K-1 / K-1II sensor if PDAF is a requirement...
Not really. It just means they’d need to use a traditional AF sensor and semi-transparent mirror.
02-17-2019, 03:21 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by monochrome Quote
Not really. It just means they’d need to use a traditional AF sensor and semi-transparent mirror.
But that rules out short registration distance... one of the "benefits" (depending on how you look at it) of mirrorless cameras. Unless the PDAF sensor was implemented as an independent overlay to the image sensor...
02-17-2019, 03:53 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

But that rules out short registration distance... one of the "benefits" (depending on how you look at it) of mirrorless cameras. Unless the PDAF sensor was implemented as an independent overlay to the image sensor...
But there aren’t (and won’t be) any Pentax short-register lenses. And that doesn’t address EVF, and Image Processor Video shortcomings.

Frankly, a Pentax mirrorless camera is not going to happen any time even remotely soon.