Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-20-2019, 12:55 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
3rd party battery grip

Hi
I am looking at a neewer, it is £40 brand new. Does anyone have any experience of these? Or would I be better getting a used Pentax one

Thanks guys

02-20-2019, 01:33 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Hi
I am looking at a neewer, it is £40 brand new. Does anyone have any experience of these? Or would I be better getting a used Pentax one

Thanks guys
I bought Pentax ones for my K-5 and for my K-1. The nice thing about the Pentax made ones is that the quality and button and dial 'feel' is exactly like that of the camera. I don't think the aftermarket ones are quite so nice.
The Pentax ones are worth the higher price in my view.
02-20-2019, 02:29 AM - 2 Likes   #3
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I bought a third party grip for my K-5 some years ago. It was OK, but the construction didn't feel as solid as the official grips I subsequently bought for my K-3 and K-3II. Plus, one of the control wheels on the third party grip had a tendency to skip setting changes. Not the end of the world, but irritating. Lastly, but quite importantly, none of the third party grips are weather-resistant, so far as I'm aware.

IMHO, you're better off getting the official grip.
02-20-2019, 04:18 AM   #4
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

find a good used Pentax grip - you'd be surprised at the difference in manufacturing between the third party grips and the OEM...

02-20-2019, 11:06 AM   #5

I bought a third-party grip for my K-5. For my needs it is adequate "value for money" and allows me to use cheaper AA cells (the prime reason I bought it) instead of a more expensive DLI90 in the grip. I can set everything up on a tripod for an extended time without having to fiddle to change the in-camera battery mid-session.

The build-quality and general "feel" does seem a little "down-market", but at a fraction of the cost of a new Pentax grip, I could afford to buy at least three before the Pentax unit would make more sense

I'm strictly a relatively low-usage amateur, if you have more demanding requirements an OEM item might be a better bet, especially if you can find a low-usage second-hand item.
02-20-2019, 01:44 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks guys. I think I am going to study the market with a view to getting the Pentax version. I think the neewer one would do a job and I like the idea of AA eneloops but I do like the feel of the genuine kit.
02-20-2019, 02:02 PM - 1 Like   #7
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
Thanks guys. I think I am going to study the market with a view to getting the Pentax version. I think the neewer one would do a job and I like the idea of AA eneloops but I do like the feel of the genuine kit.
Good choice

As I recall, the Pentax grips I bought came with two battery trays - one for the D-Li90 and another for AAs. So you could still use Eneloops if required
02-20-2019, 02:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian

FWIW, the biggest issue that I have had with 3rd party grips is the poor quality and location of the AA battery contacts - they deformed &/or fell easily and were difficult to reform and relocate reliabily. OTOH, didn't seem as poor as that when using a D-Li90 (or decent 3rd party version thereof - I now use DSTE-branded ones) which seems to fit & work pretty well.

02-20-2019, 02:09 PM - 2 Likes   #9
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good choice

As I recall, the Pentax grips I bought came with two battery trays - one for the D-Li90 and another for AAs. So you could still use Eneloops if required
Yes, both of mine came this way. I have now sold the K-5 grip as my daughter now has my K-5 and she did not want the grip. The new owner says it's "like new"!
02-20-2019, 02:19 PM - 1 Like   #10
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I think, from his profile, the OP has a K 3 and K 30

Pentax grip for K 3/K 3 II has two trays - one for AA

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG5 for K-3 / K-3 II reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database

same for K 5 series and K 7

Pentax Battery Grip D-BG4 for K-5 and K-7 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
02-20-2019, 02:55 PM - 2 Likes   #11
amateur dirt farmer...
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Good choice

just to verify, as I have purchased the grip for a K-3 recently, it does come with both battery trays...
02-20-2019, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

have the newer for the K-3ii and functions just fine...has all the same features the oem grip I have for the K-1 (got it in a bundle otherwise would have bought the newer for it as well).....minus a 'bracket' for a strap and the sealing...…maybe not as 'solid' but it ain't 'flimsy' either
very satisfied with the savings and functionality I got/get with the neewer grip...….both have trays for 'aa' & Li-90 with SD card holder
02-21-2019, 11:44 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I have a Neewer grip for my K5. Haven't had it long, but it seems to function perfectly. The build quality seems pretty good.

The only thing I don't like is that unlike the DBG2 clone I had for my K10d, there is no slot to hold the Pentax Remote F. But that is Pentax's fault, not Neewer's. Pentax left that feature off the real DBG4.

Mine came with battery trays for both the D-Li90 and AA's. I haven't had a chance to use the latter, however.
02-22-2019, 08:42 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have had the Newer grip for my K3 II for over a year, I use it almost 95% of the time I use my camera. I also have access to the Pentax grip and I have found them to be equal in function and fit. I have used AA batteries 2 times when out in West Texas for a week and the AA's worked as needed. Having said all this, 3rd party grips tend to be of lesser quality than OEM, as others have mentioned. I needed a grip on short notice and the Newer grip was the only one that I could get in time for my trip so I purchased it. So far it works as intended. The Newer grip is not weather sealed, but. I never use any of my camera gear in the rain...