Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 01:16 PM   #16
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I do rather like the 40mm xs for B&W

To begin with, really like the photograph for a variety of reasons...composition, detail, B+W, etc. Interesting to me that you used your 40 XS for this. As it happens I have found that some of my favourite B+W photos I've taken with my 40 Limited.

02-25-2019, 01:41 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tbelf Quote
I love that middle DA 15 shot of the blinds!
Thank you! No pp on any of the shots!

---------- Post added 02-25-2019 at 01:44 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by lesmore49 Quote
To begin with, really like the photograph for a variety of reasons...composition, detail, B+W, etc. Interesting to me that you used your 40 XS for this. As it happens I have found that some of my favourite B+W photos I've taken with my 40 Limited.
Somebody said that the pictures from 40mm limited are very Leica like! And I agree with that statement and I say that the da limiteds have this great contrast and punchy colors that are very leica rendering...
02-28-2019, 07:18 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
When researching a Voigtländer 40/1.4 rangefinder lens I was surprised to find it came in two versions 'SC' (single-coated) and a multi-coated version (blank or marked 'MC'). Supposedly, the reason is that single-coated lenses are preferred by some mono shooters (I assume film?). I have a couple pre-S-M-C Super-Taks and quite like the look they produce on mono film.
02-28-2019, 10:01 PM   #19

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnha Quote
When researching a Voigtländer 40/1.4 rangefinder lens I was surprised to find it came in two versions 'SC' (single-coated) and a multi-coated version (blank or marked 'MC'). Supposedly, the reason is that single-coated lenses are preferred by some mono shooters (I assume film?). I have a couple pre-S-M-C Super-Taks and quite like the look they produce on mono film.
Interesting!

02-05-2024, 08:07 PM   #20

Lens Microcontrast for B&W

Excellent micro contrast in a lens is critical for black-and-white work. The definition of micro contrast is the ability separate two tones in black-and-white that are very close to each In luminance. Lens that is flat with little micro contrast will not be able to separate these tones. You cannot get this back in post because it is not recorded by the sensor to begin with. When people refer to increasing contrast in post that refers to overall or global contrast.
02-05-2024, 10:34 PM   #21

QuoteOriginally posted by ron6771 Quote
The definition of micro contrast is the ability separate two tones in black-and-white that are very close to each In luminance.
There's an opportunity missed – if you had waited just three more weeks to post this then we could have bought this thread a cake to celebrate its fifth birthday.
02-06-2024, 01:30 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by greyscale Quote
There's an opportunity missed – if you had waited just three more weeks to post this then we could have bought this thread a cake to celebrate its fifth birthday.
Haha ... I had to re-read this a couple of times ... it was worth the effort

FWIW, back in the day when I was "totally film", I was often of the opinion that the fixed 45mm f/2.8 Tessar on my early Contaflex loaded with FP4 gave me "more shades of grey" than any other combination I had available!

02-07-2024, 10:37 AM   #23

Not really. People still read these threads, even though they are several years old. I do.