Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
02-25-2019, 09:05 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My best lens for monochrome photography!

Hello! I've did a little test to see which of my selected lenses gives the best tonality, contrast on monochrome. I don't know nothing about microcontrast but they say that in monochrome you can read it... Same shutter speed, almost same aperture, f4, but f4.5 on 18-55mm.
So, first - Smc Pentax fa 31mm limited, second- Smc Pentax da 15mm limited, third - Smc Pentax f 50mm f1.7, fourth - Smc Pentax da 18-55mm wr, Fifth - Tamron 17-50mm.
In my view, winner by K.O. it's unsurprinsigly da 15mm limited a beautiful designed lens.
Second place, surprise, surprise it's the kit lens, 18-55mm!!!
Third place, very similar to fourth it's my 31mm limited...
Fourth place it's my Tamron 17-50mm...
And for me, a big surprise, fifth my smc f 50mm f 1.7...
My thoughts are that all da limiteds will give the same performance... Another three shots from 15mm limited. Excellent! Thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-500  Photo 
02-25-2019, 09:17 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

No matter the lens I use, B&W in digital invariably makes me do a good amount of post to get results I want. I actually prefer a flatter lens because of that.
02-25-2019, 09:24 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
No matter the lens I use, B&W in digital invariably makes me do a good amount of post to get results I want. I actually prefer a flatter lens because of that.
But which is the winner in your view? I think you're winner will be 40mm xs! I can bet on it!
02-25-2019, 09:28 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zburatoru Quote
Hello! I've did a little test to see which of my selected lenses gives the best tonality, contrast on monochrome. I don't know nothing about microcontrast but they say that in monochrome you can read it... Same shutter speed, almost same aperture, f4, but f4.5 on 18-55mm.
So, first - Smc Pentax fa 31mm limited, second- Smc Pentax da 15mm limited, third - Smc Pentax f 50mm f1.7, fourth - Smc Pentax da 18-55mm wr, Fifth - Tamron 17-50mm.
In my view, winner by K.O. it's unsurprinsigly da 15mm limited a beautiful designed lens.
Second place, surprise, surprise it's the kit lens, 18-55mm!!!
Third place, very similar to fourth it's my 31mm limited...
Fourth place it's my Tamron 17-50mm...
And for me, a big surprise, fifth my smc f 50mm f 1.7...
My thoughts are that all da limiteds will give the same performance... Another three shots from 15mm limited. Excellent! Thoughts?
I don't do much B&W but I have found the manual 50mm f1.7 extremely sharp while it renders nicely myself when I do B&W.

02-25-2019, 09:30 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jgnfld Quote
I don't do much B&W but I have found the manual 50mm f1.7 extremely sharp while it renders nicely myself when I do B&W.
Interesting... My f 50mm f1.7 didn't quite delivered...
02-25-2019, 09:35 AM - 3 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

But which is the winner in your view? I think you're winner will be 40mm xs! I can bet on it!
I do rather like the 40mm xs for B&W

02-25-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

You make a good point here.

The issue with monochrome conversion is paucity of data. Even best case with RAW capture on most dSLRs, we are talking a 14 bits of data, meaning 16,000 (214) gray tones in the palette. That sounds like a lot until one starts working with an image in PP. A lower contrast original may provide an advantage, though I will confess to not having done any comparisons. In general, I try and start with a color original that has characteristics of what I want to display in the monochrome conversion.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-25-2019 at 11:00 AM.
02-25-2019, 10:15 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Interesting... My f 50mm f1.7 didn't quite delivered...
Well...I find my Sigma 17-50 f. 2.8 terrible for landscapes (though not closeups where it works well for me). Many others disagree so it's probably just me, it, and how it and I interact.
02-25-2019, 10:19 AM - 1 Like   #9
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I do rather like the 40mm xs for B&W
. . .
well it is, without a doubt, " the best lens in its class "
02-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting experiment, and one which does test modern sensors, since you're eliminating channels. I know my DA21 and DA40 do provide great contrast, and everyone seems to like informal portraits done with them. (of course i usually desaturate the reds a bit so people don't look so flushed indoors) I'll have to see how those images look in B&W sometime.
02-25-2019, 10:45 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Interesting experiment, and one which does test modern sensors, since you're eliminating channels. I know my DA21 and DA40 do provide great contrast, and everyone seems to like informal portraits done with them. (of course i usually desaturate the reds a bit so people don't look so flushed indoors) I'll have to see how those images look in B&W sometime.
Well, pancake design and few elements contribute to more contrast and colors, better monochrome, too...
But what's with the 18-55mm?
02-25-2019, 10:49 AM   #12

Photos: Albums
I see what you did there. Well played....well played
02-25-2019, 10:58 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

My best lens for monochrome photography!
I have gotten good results with a wide range of lenses both for monochrome conversion of digital capture and when shooting B&W film. To be honest, I am not sure that lens makes that big of a difference, unless the glass has a definite color cast. I have been doing monochrome photography since the late 1960s and have found that light, subject, and technique of "seeing" are the important parts, followed by technical expertise and medium for the capture and subsequent processing to the final image. Of course the same list applies equally to color work.

Good lenses are good lenses and even those with mediocre reputation may be better than one thinks.

For a sampling...
Fotostevia on Flickr | Monochrome

Steve

(...thinking that a before/after thread for monochrome conversions might be fun...)
02-25-2019, 11:08 AM   #14

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I have gotten good results with a wide range of lenses both for monochrome conversion of digital capture and when shooting B&W film. To be honest, I am not sure that lens makes that big of a difference, unless the glass has a definite color cast. I have been doing monochrome photography since the late 1960s and have found that light, subject, and technique of "seeing" are the important parts, followed by technical expertise and medium for the capture and subsequent processing to the final image. Of course the same list applies equally to color work.

Good lenses are good lenses and even those with mediocre reputation may be better than one thinks.

For a sampling...
Fotostevia on Flickr | Monochrome

Steve

(...thinking that a before/after thread for monochrome conversions might be fun...)
Very good stuff here! Great monochrome work!
02-25-2019, 12:02 PM   #15
Forum Member

Another three shots from 15mm limited. Excellent! Thoughts?
I love that middle DA 15 shot of the blinds!