Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2019, 07:37 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
Link says it is rumoured to be announced in 2020.

I was hoping it would have been out by now, and discontinued when the K3iv replaced it mid 2020. Oh well, my k5iis is showing no signs of imploding on itself, if it croaks suddenly I'll probably pick up a used one to tide me over (or a used k3ii).
Exactly: that's why the K-3ii is good for 200k actuations--replace when obsoleted....Next year will be fine for a replacement. For now, the KP does fine--a100k stopgap per

03-02-2019, 07:52 AM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
After spending some months with K-1 & DFA 150-450, I took a walk with K-3 & DA560 today.And oh my God, that's a different world. Rat-a-tat-tat, the difference in speed is enormous.
Get your hands on the 55-300 PLM, and you'll have even more speed. I have the K3II and PLM and K-1 and 150-450. Bottom line is I really only use the long lenses on the K3II. About the longest I go on the K-1 is my 60-250. After that, I feel like I'm really after telephoto e.g. birding, and the crop factor/pixel density and speed combo wins for me.
03-02-2019, 09:34 AM - 2 Likes   #48
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
If video is what you are looking for, I think you really should think about jumping the ship.
For a replacement of your K200D, buy a used K-3 or K-5 or try to get one of the last new K-2S, if you do not like the KP to bridge the time until 2022.
My guess is, you will not buy the new Pentax in 2022 as you will be very content with the one you have. Second guess: Video mode will not be a stellar performer in the 2022 camera, too.
Where are you getting this 2022 time frame??? You need to either go back and reread the posts regarding the rumored time frame or read it. My thinking is that the new APS-C high spec DSLR will appear before the end of 2019 closer to the end of the year. But I could be wrong.
03-02-2019, 10:58 AM - 1 Like   #49
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by LoudYeti Quote
I've been patiently waiting for a new Pentax camera. I've been interested in the KP but really was hoping for the K3 replacement. I am not sure a K1 is a great fit for me. I obsessively searched for news around CP+ but now that it seems there is nothing coming for a K3 I find myself at a cross roads of do I continue to invest in the Pentax lineup? Should I jump ship and try out the mirrorless that all the "cool" kids seem to be into?

I'm sure this is a case of "grass looks greener" but I find my self looking over the fence more than I'd like to.

Have you had this? Do you ever think this way? Well now what?
The K-3 II replacement should be coming fairly soon now. Every time I've seen Pentax delay on an expected model, like was the case with their FF entry, it turned out to be worth the wait- like the K-1. Now we've had a delay in the DA*11-18mm f/2.8 release, indicating there was some need for modification, but I'll bet the lens will be a very fine one.

However, it appears you will have to make a decision, since you've expressed an interest in mirrorless. If this is your inclination, the KP is a DSLR's answer or alternative to mirrorless while still offering the advantages of a DSLR. We've had several threads with more detailed comparisons between the KP and various mirrorless offerings.

The forthcoming K-3 style replacement will be a bulkier camera and not designed to be compared to compact mirrorless APS-C models. But this has its own advantages. Depends on your usages, needs or what you are looking for as to handling, controls, a top LCD, etc.

03-02-2019, 11:28 AM   #50
Pentaxian
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
The K-3 II replacement should be coming fairly soon now. Every time I've seen Pentax delay on an expected model, like was the case with their FF entry, it turned out to be worth the wait- like the K-1. Now we've had a delay in the DA*11-18mm f/2.8 release, indicating there was some need for modification, but I'll bet the lens will be a very fine one.

However, it appears you will have to make a decision, since you've expressed an interest in mirrorless. If this is your inclination, the KP is a DSLR's answer or alternative to mirrorless while still offering the advantages of a DSLR. We've had several threads with more detailed comparisons between the KP and various mirrorless offerings.

The forthcoming K-3 style replacement will be a bulkier camera and not designed to be compared to compact mirrorless APS-C models. But this has its own advantages. Depends on your usages, needs or what you are looking for as to handling, controls, a top LCD, etc.
There are some great points there.^
I would have said it but i din't think of it.
03-02-2019, 02:03 PM   #51
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Saxtonine Quote
Let me add another voice in favor of the K-3 II. Had mine for a year and a half and "only" racked up a shutter count of 18K. At this rate it'll be 5-10 years before I want or need a new body.
I've had a K7 for 10 years and 50k shots and the more I look the more I see its still meeting my needs. I'd like a used K5ii or K3 but I'm happy with my lot for now.
03-02-2019, 07:29 PM - 1 Like   #52
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Assess what you want to do with your camera. Then decide on which system matches your needs. Don't be swayed by opinions. In the end, it's your opinion that will count. The most important thing is, you like and are comfortable using what you have.

It took me quite a while to understand the k-3II compared to my k-5II. Now, I like it a lot. Pentax offered what I need so I'm staying. People often would criticized why I chose Pentax. I guess some were silenced when I won my son's school photo contest, parent category. Our team color coordinator asked me what's my camera as he was surprised with the image quality it produced. I simply said Pentax.

I'm tired of shifting brands. Like I always whined about, I hope Pentax survives this.game.
03-02-2019, 09:22 PM   #53
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I am at a crossroads too. Ricoh simply does not offer a full system and seems to lack the motivation to do much about it. Lack of resources is not an excuse. If you want sales you invest in your brand. Living on dynamic range, small buffers, Astrotracker and "landscape photographers" is not going to get them much further. Like it or not the all in one camera is the future and having a niche product is no longer a strategy for long term survival.
Like it or not, the "all in one camera" has always been a myth, but even more today in the digital age. In the age of film, one could add a winder or change film type used, and the complete character of a camera was changed. Today, we no longer have those alternatives. Nikon lovers crowed about the "perfect complete camera" when the D850 came out - but even it had weaknesses {only 20mp in crop mode, for example} - and it costs serious money, putting it out of reach of many of us.

03-02-2019, 09:40 PM   #54
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Where are you getting this 2022 time frame??? You need to either go back and reread the posts regarding the rumored time frame or read it. My thinking is that the new APS-C high spec DSLR will appear before the end of 2019 closer to the end of the year. But I could be wrong.
QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I'm interested in what @Adam; learns there. The most precise information we've heard at CP+ specified next year {2020}
QuoteOriginally posted by Mistral75 Quote
Judging by the series of tweets he posted in the afternoon, Kimio Tanaka wasn't exactly pleased with the outcome of his on-stage interview and the answers he received today.
The successor to K-3 II is still said to be under development. It's expected to be released next year. It's said to be worth waiting for.

Last edited by reh321; 03-02-2019 at 09:45 PM.
03-02-2019, 10:20 PM   #55
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

If a lightly used KP or K-3ll can tide you over until late this year or very early next year i think you will be delighted with what was discussed at the CP+ interviews today.
03-02-2019, 11:04 PM - 1 Like   #56
Pentaxian

Something I find incredible in these forums is the number of people who have enough spare money, not committed to all the other things they need to pay for, to be able to contemplate changing platform to one not compatible with the lenses and other bits they have already bought, and disposing of the original system as second hand prices. Amazing they can finance that amount of depreciation.

So if Nikon or Canon would release a Camera with K mount compatibility, so I could use my K and M42 lenses with their basic capabilities, focus, aperture, without added glass, then it might be a competitor the next time I contemplate a new body. Until then I narrow my selection choice to one that fits the bits I already have. And BTW, I am still pleased with my K3.
03-02-2019, 11:16 PM - 1 Like   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Something I find incredible in these forums is the number of people who have enough spare money, not committed to all the other things they need to pay for, to be able to contemplate changing platform to one not compatible with the lenses and other bits they have already bought, and disposing of the original system as second hand prices. Amazing they can finance that amount of depreciation.

So if Nikon or Canon would release a Camera with K mount compatibility, so I could use my K and M42 lenses with their basic capabilities, focus, aperture, without added glass, then it might be a competitor the next time I contemplate a new body. Until then I narrow my selection choice to one that fits the bits I already have. And BTW, I am still pleased with my K3.
I think that’s why people are frustrated. They want / need a new camera or more accessories like TC’s. They feel trapped by their existing investment in K-mount, and by being so tight lipped Ricoh isn’t inspiring them to be patient (or inspiring confidence that the eventual date isn’t never). It must feel like being engaged to a woman for ten years who says she loves you but won’t set a date and won’t even talk about it. Eventually some people just move on.

I’m on the sell end of my cycle of Buy / Try / Sell (I’m happy to have owned and used x legendary Pentax item for a while and I don’t regret selling it to try something else). Whatever money I’ve spent selling for less than I’ve paid I consider ‘rent’ and I spent it eyes open. OTOH my permanent investment in K-mount is way too large to change to Sony or Nikon. I’ve tried just about everything now so mrs monochrome is happy that more boxes are going out than coming in.

Last edited by monochrome; 03-02-2019 at 11:29 PM.
03-03-2019, 01:43 AM   #58

Original Poster
Do any of the KP or K1 owners ever shoot video with it as well? If so what are your thoughts.

Last edited by LoudYeti; 03-03-2019 at 01:54 AM.
03-03-2019, 04:29 AM - 1 Like   #59
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tim60 Quote
Something I find incredible in these forums is the number of people who have enough spare money, not committed to all the other things they need to pay for

Well, there are guys investing 10 USD per day in cigarettes. That's about 3650 per year. Like always, a question of choice.
03-03-2019, 05:19 AM - 2 Likes   #60
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LoudYeti Quote
Do any of the KP or K1 owners ever shoot video with it as well? If so what are your thoughts.
No, never. I believe the primary purpose of a (D)SLR, in its design and practical use has been still images. I use my Leica Typ 109 point and shoot for video if necessary, or a dedicated Samsung mini-cam (about the size and dimension of a hot dog).

Dedicated video cams can be used one-handed, the heft and shape of the camera bodies I use make it less conducive. But, in a pinch, I'm glad that all of my Pentax bodies have at least 1080i which is more than enough for the "Academy Award" videos I produce.

---------- Post added 03-03-19 at 05:30 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by zzeitg Quote
Well, there are guys investing 10 USD per day in cigarettes. That's about 3650 per year. Like always, a question of choice.
That is an excellent analogy. I used to smoke one to two cigars a day at a cost of $400 to $500 a month. Quit smoking, gained weight, refocused on Photography so my walks/bike rides for exercise would have a purpose (and a reason to keep moving about), and the $6,000 I saved in the first year went right into my Kits. Joined this Forum (and the Leica Forum, which pales in comparison to the Pentax version) and haven't looked back.

I really enjoy the enthusiasm here, and the $$$ I spend are enjoyable when editing, cropping and just viewing my photos. Even my family (who thinks I'm 'odd' walking around with a camera most days) enjoys the special photo I get once in a while. My daughter even uses many of my shots for her phone and website wallpaper.

Gentlemen: with photography, you can invest $50 or $50,000--just enjoy the pursuit. I hope for the rest of my life the only thing I have to be concerned about is which camera body and lens combo I shoot with on a given day...now talk about nirvana....

Last edited by Merv-O; 03-03-2019 at 05:34 AM. Reason: typos