Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 44 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
No, never. I believe the primary purpose of a (D)SLR, in its design and practical use has been still images. I use my Leica Typ 109 point and shoot for video if necessary, or a dedicated Samsung mini-cam (about the size and dimension of a hot dog).

Dedicated video cams can be used one-handed, the heft and shape of the camera bodies I use make it less conducive. But, in a pinch, I'm glad that all of my Pentax bodies have at least 1080i which is more than enough for the "Academy Award" videos I produce.

---------- Post added 03-03-19 at 05:30 AM ----------

That is an excellent analogy. I used to smoke one to two cigars a day at a cost of $400 to $500 a month. Quit smoking, gained weight, refocused on Photography so my walks/bike rides for exercise would have a purpose (and a reason to keep moving about), and the $6,000 I saved in the first year went right into my Kits. Joined this Forum (and the Leica Forum, which pales in comparison to the Pentax version) and haven't looked back.

I really enjoy the enthusiasm here, and the $$$ I spend are enjoyable when editing, cropping and just viewing my photos. Even my family (who thinks I'm 'odd' walking around with a camera most days) enjoys the special photo I get once in a while. My daughter even uses many of my shots for her phone and website wallpaper.

Gentlemen: with photography, you can invest $50 or $50,000--just enjoy the pursuit. I hope for the rest of my life the only thing I have to be concerned about is which camera body and lens combo I shoot with on a given day...now talk about nirvana....
Hear, hear! Everything I own in camera gear is less than I would have spent in a year or so if I smoked.

03-03-2019, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SSGGeezer Quote
Hear, hear! Everything I own in camera gear is less than I would have spent in a year or so if I smoked.
I never smoked, are only ever drink a small amount, and that only rarely. (When I was young I never understood those around me who drank booze as an emetic, I suppose I never found that kind of emitting to be enjoyable.) Still find the money all goes on the ordinary, and I have a good job. I bought most of the old Takumar focal lengths, and in some cases the fast and the slow version, about 5 years ago, a felt I was being extravagant. But they are nice to use and I like them.
03-04-2019, 10:10 AM - 2 Likes   #63
Veteran Member

I've already decided what's next for me. I have had my epiphany!

My GR III is on preorder. When it arrives my DSLR kit, along with my GR II is all getting sold.

Since having a GR, my joy for photography has returned. I never want a DSLR with me any more...a GR in my pocket is all the camera I need or want. I don't even care about the images I would need a DSLR for, because there are millions of others the GR is perfect for. Plus, I can carry it in any pocket, or tucked under my arm on a small sling, so it is literally always with me. The images it produces are stunning. I don't need to worry about what lens I must save for next, what bag will pack everything in and still be comfortable, or whether or not there will be a replacement when it breaks.

It is literally and figuratively a weight off my shoulders. So is you're in the market for a used K-3II, watch the marketplace in a few weeks' time.
03-05-2019, 06:51 AM   #64
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote

My GR III is on preorder. When it arrives my DSLR kit, along with my GR II is all getting sold.

Since having a GR, my joy for photography has returned. I never want a DSLR with me any more...a GR in my pocket is all the camera I need or want. I don't even care about the images I would need a DSLR for, because there are millions of others the GR is perfect for. Plus, I can carry it in any pocket, or tucked under my arm on a small sling, so it is literally always with me. The images it produces are stunning. I don't need to worry about what lens I must save for next, what bag will pack everything in and still be comfortable, or whether or not there will be a replacement when it breaks.

It is literally and figuratively a weight off my shoulders. So is you're in the market for a used K-3II, watch the marketplace in a few weeks' time.
This man gets it....fast focus, slow focus, heavy, light, big small....its the joy of photography. The problem is I like my DSLRs--maybe I'm compensating for something else? (wink wink

03-05-2019, 12:50 PM   #65
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah these are strong points. There's something to be said for becoming a master of one cameras as well. As I shoot professionally I can't give up on my proper gear but I would love a GRII/III to compliment my set up (even using in paid events as well), and if I owned one I would never leave the house without one either!

Look forward to hearing your feedback on it.
03-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #66
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BruceBanner Quote
Look forward to hearing your feedback on it.
Me too!

These next few weeks are going to be slow going...and that's if Ricoh breaks with tradition and comes good on a predicted release date. Not at all guaranteed...
03-06-2019, 11:43 AM   #67
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gray Quote
Yes, I don't understand why Ricoh discontinued the K-3II without a having a replacement. The KP is a downgrade in many respects, and clearly a successor in the KS line, rather than the K-7/5/3 line.
Because the K-3ii was no longer selling in sufficient quantities and at sufficient margin to justify manufacturing any further batches.

The APS-C DSLR market is rapidly shrinking. It will become a very tiny percentage of the overall ILC market in 2 to 3 years.
The days of selling 100's of thousands of K-5 and K-3 models are gone. I doubt a K-3 successor type camera would shift even 50,000 units.

I think Ricoh already saw this coming and decided to focus on full-frame where the action is and that's why we didn't get a K-3iii first time around.
They probably should have beefed up the specs on KP and stuck with that as the APS-C flagship. A lot of people won't like that but it is hard to argue with the market.

03-06-2019, 12:50 PM - 1 Like   #68
Pentaxian

I have had my epiphany!

I had my epiphany 13 years ago - in 2006.

My first digital camera was a Canon compact camera; it was more flexible than a GR - because it had a zoom lens - but it still lacked the flexibility I need, so I decided that every camera I get from now on must be an ILC.

It's not heavy - it's my camera.
03-06-2019, 12:58 PM   #69
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
Because the K-3ii was no longer selling in sufficient quantities and at sufficient margin to justify manufacturing any further batches.

The APS-C DSLR market is rapidly shrinking. It will become a very tiny percentage of the overall ILC market in 2 to 3 years.
The days of selling 100's of thousands of K-5 and K-3 models are gone. I doubt a K-3 successor type camera would shift even 50,000 units.

I think Ricoh already saw this coming and decided to focus on full-frame
where the action is and that's why we didn't get a K-3iii first time around.
They probably should have beefed up the specs on KP and stuck with that as the APS-C flagship. A lot of people won't like that but it is hard to argue with the market.
That's what I thought, but at CP+, Ricoh said the next camera to be released will be the K-3ii replacement
QuoteOriginally posted by kwb Quote
in another thread I talked a bit about youtube video of one of CP+ Tanaka-Iwasaki sessions (probably the first day), and though I didn't have time to write any detailed comments at the time, and though many things were vague anyway, Iwasak-san said that APS will come before the next full frame.

From about 33:00 they talked about APS flagship (yes Iwasaki-san said 'APS flagship') but there's nothing that wasn't already reported by JPT.

Full frame talk starts at about 35:49, Iwasaki-san says it's "something in the future", Tanaka-san pressed him to say if it's next year or not and Iwasaki-san mumbled (sounded like "a bit further down" to me but I'm not 100% certain). He also said he cannot say at this point if that will be a successor of K-1 II or lower end.

Then, from 36:37, still talking about new full frame,

Iwasaki: Yes we have some work to do.

Tanaka: But before that, you have some work to do on the successor of K-3II.

Iwasaki: Yes, that one first.
Unless Iwasaki-san made an error, that's that, that was in no uncertain terms.
03-26-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #70
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dbs Quote
Oh Dear I'm still using my 100D Super , I don't know what I really need or is it what I want. It works just fine for me

Dave
Late to this discussion. I shoot with my K100D & K20D and happy with both.
03-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #71
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Since having a GR, my joy for photography has returned. I never want a DSLR with me any more...a GR in my pocket is all the camera I need or want. I don't even care about the images I would need a DSLR for, because there are millions of others the GR is perfect for. Plus, I can carry it in any pocket, or tucked under my arm on a sma
That is an excellent example as to why these threads full of complaints about staying with Pentax/leaving Pentax/Unsure of the future of Pentax, etc. are inane. A true photographer uses the equipment he/she has or likes and makes images that are satisfying to themselves, ultimately (professionals excluded, of course)--filling their lives by traveling to locations, noticing the mundane or things people miss because they are not behind a lens--macro-micro-telephoto...If your new GR III gives you satisfaction, snap away enjoy and share a pic once in awhile for others to appreciate.