Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Well it is unlikely it is mirrorless or a rangefinder. Those might be easy to spot but are far fetched. New control wheel arrangement? A built in battery grip? Articulating screen? Death ray attachment?

GPS and no flash is the legacy k3ii feature set... Switching back to onboard flash?
Something useful.. Like a toaster

03-03-2019, 11:28 AM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wstruth Quote
Something useful.. Like a toaster
Shoulder or headset mounted camera with voice control. Be your own bipod!
03-03-2019, 12:28 PM   #18

My baseless prediction: The new camera will have no prism on top due to lack of onboard flash and/or gps. Anyone needing these features can buy a separate flash unit or o-gps1. The end result will be a slightly lighter and more compact camera.
03-03-2019, 12:31 PM   #19
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Dakobed Quote
My baseless prediction: The new camera will have no prism on top due to lack of onboard flash and/or gps. Anyone needing these features can buy a separate flash unit or o-gps1. The end result will be a slightly lighter and more compact camera.
It'll still need a prism for the optical viewfinder, though... no?

03-03-2019, 12:59 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
It'll still need a prism for the optical viewfinder, though... no?
Ok, maybe just a smaller prism, lol
03-03-2019, 01:24 PM - 1 Like   #21

In all likelihood, I think if the silhouette is seriously important, then it's probably a built-in battery grip, like the Nikon D5.

With the K1 being Pentax's flagship DSLR, and the KP being an excellent but affordable alternative, the next pro aps-c dslr needs to have a special focus to differentiate it from its predecessors.

I think the K3iii could probably have a much higher burst rate, maybe even a slightly lower resolution than the KP (20 mp?), several card slots and audio/video out ports, a significantly improved AF system, shake reduction, and possibly even a focus on video capabilities and live view features.

Those would all be features that would clearly separate the intended professional usage of the K3iii from the K1, rather than just making it a crop-sensor K1 clone, but it would require a larger camera body. However, Olympus's take on a giant crop sensor camera didn't go down so well, so maybe Pentax ought to try a different approach.

Last edited by StarTroop; 03-03-2019 at 04:51 PM.
03-03-2019, 01:31 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Wouldn't smaller prism reduce utility of OVF??
K-3 and K-3ii each had 100% coverage with 0.62 "magnification"; I would think that smaller prism would force one of those numbers down.

03-03-2019, 01:37 PM - 1 Like   #23
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Wouldn't smaller prism reduce utility of OVF??
K-3 and K-3ii each had 100% coverage with 0.62 "magnification"; I would think that smaller prism would force one of those numbers down.
I think the prism would need to remain the same size. The hump could be smaller, though, if flash and GPS were left out...
03-03-2019, 01:39 PM - 4 Likes   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
In all likelihood, I think if the silhouette is seriously important, then it's probably a built-in battery grip, like the Nikon D5.

With the K1 being Pentax's flagship DSLR, and the KP being an excellent but affordable alternative, the next pro aps-c dslr needs to have a special focus to differentiate it from its predecessors.

I think the K3iii could probably have a much higher burst rate, maybe even a slightly lower resolution than the KP (20 mp?), several card slots and audio/video out ports, a significantly improved AF system, shake reduction, and possibly even a focus on video capabilities and livescreen features.

Those would all be features that would clearly separate the intended professional usage of the K3iii from the K1, rather than just making it a crop-sensor K1 clone, but it would require a larger camera body. However, Olympus's take on a giant crop sensor camera didn't go down so well, so maybe Pentax ought to try a different approach.
Many of the most passionate APSc flagship users want the smaller format for telephoto use with a high frame rate and fast throughput - birders, action shooters and users who want great tracking AF.C. What you propose here would suit their needs quite well. In effect you propose a Pentax D500 killer. Would be very nice, but I don’t see why the silhouette would reveal anything.

That’s just Pentax being Pentax. They want to reserve the silhouette reveal for the very dim viral tease shots that will hit the web a few days before the camera is announced.
03-03-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
New control wheel arrangement? A built in battery grip? Articulating screen? Death ray attachment?
So long as it's user configurable and not constantly enabled, I'm all for it
03-03-2019, 01:47 PM - 5 Likes   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The camera designers have decided that the only way to handle complaints about auto-focus, buffer performance and still use every K-mount lens ever made is to launch a view camera instead.

Something like this, but designed for K-mount. Even the briefest glimpse of the sillouette of this camera would let everyone know that this new camera is absolutely nothing like a K-3.
03-03-2019, 01:52 PM - 2 Likes   #27
Veteran Member

I think the prism would need to remain the same size. The hump could be smaller, though, if flash and GPS were left out...
Darn physics.
03-03-2019, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #28
Veteran Member

I think if the silhouette is seriously important, then it's probably a built-in battery grip,
Please, heaven's no.

Olympus's take on a giant crop sensor camera didn't go down so well, so maybe Pentax ought to try a different approach.
Bingo! I know a built in grip would absolutely kill any interest in the next flagship for me.

I think the K3iii could probably have a much higher burst rate, maybe even a slightly lower resolution than the KP (20 mp?), several card slots and audio/video out ports, a significantly improved AF system, shake reduction, and possibly even a focus on video capabilities and livescreen features.
Burst rate - I'm indifferent, but I understand the want/demand. Is 8.3 fps really not enough?
Lower Resolution - I'm down for that, especially in an APS-C body. My K-3 has plenty of resolution. I want quality pixels, not more.
Several card slots - Given, (or did you want more than two?)
Improved AF - The perennial Pentax want. Does anything else come close? I honestly do believe Pentax would have delivered this a long
time ago if they could. Expect improvements but don't expect Pentax to suddenly become the AF king.
Video - No. Just no. Pentax has held firm that video is not their priority. There are plenty of great video options on the market. See my comments
on AF above, but more so.
03-03-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

So long as it's user configurable and not constantly enabled, I'm all for it
Could be a power hog. Are you OK with the shortened battery life?
03-03-2019, 02:27 PM - 2 Likes   #30
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
It's a Pentax video camera. They have advanced their tech to the hand crank which would give it away.