Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 09:50 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Nope. I owned GPS-1 unit. For Astro-tracer it should be OK, but my goal is to have geo-tagging and for that purpose, GPS-1 is not that good. It occupies hot shoe. Each time you need a flash you have to detach it. It needs a battery and you never know when it depleted. Camera you can leave turned on all time: it will switch itself, but not that unit. And it quite a big and cumbersome.
I understand...I was trying to give you a bit of positivity....Or use your K-3ii as a back up for GPS and astrophotography...honestly, the KP is a venerable little camera, especially at the current price point.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 09:55 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
I put primary blame on Ricoh. The are feeding uncertainty and doubt due to long gaps between products.


For example, the top of their APS-C line (K-3 series) has been discontinued for a long time yet no firm commitment on a replacement. Discontinuing a product with no replacement for months or years leads people to think that the replacement is never coming.

Another example, wide angle primes. Full frame excels at wide angle. Pentax has the 31mm Limited, nothing wider even though the K-1 came out nearly 3 years ago. Something's on the roadmap, but lack of reliable information and Ricoh's recent history (roadmapped products come out at the high end of estimates or later) means there's lots of uncertainty.
The aftermarket is serving us well on FF wide angle: Both IRIX lenses 11mm and 15mm are outstanding (there are reviews here at the forum). The lensbaby series is also a good fill-in. These are quality lenses and as good as many Pentax OEM glass. Even SIGMA has a few "Art" lenses that more than fill in these gaps. Example: right now I cover my primes as follows:

-IRIX 15mm
-SIGMA (a-series) manual 28mm
-Pentax 35mm f/2
-Pentax 50mm SMC FA 1.4

Two Pentaxes and 2 after-market lenses--all do their jobs well, especially on the K-1.

03-05-2019, 02:16 PM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jumbleview's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 347
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
I understand...I was trying to give you a bit of positivity....Or use your K-3ii as a back up for GPS and astrophotography...honestly, the KP is a venerable little camera, especially at the current price point.
Alas, I do not have Pentax K3II. I have Pentax K5ii which I bought in 2014. I usually do not allow myself to upgrade till five years period expired. And this is the year (as you can guess). Whatever I buy this year I should use for next five years.

Last edited by jumbleview; 03-05-2019 at 03:31 PM.
03-06-2019, 06:21 AM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Alas, I do not have Pentax K3II. I have Pentax K5ii which I bought in 2014. I usually do not allow myself to upgrade till five years period expired. And this is the year (as you can guess). Whatever I buy this year I should use for next five years.

You can still get new K-3ii body for about 800 (same price as the KP)--there are some left, very few now after CP+.

I had sold mine to move up to the K-1 series, but bought a gently used one for about $500 with 6900 shutter clicks. I took it out the other day with the 70mm f2.4 DA Limited lens and it was as sharp as knife.
Here's an example of the used K-3ii with he 70mm ltd. attached...good luck in your quest.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-06-2019, 07:19 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
jumbleview's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Concord, CA
Posts: 347
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
You can still get new K-3ii body for about 800 (same price as the KP)--there are some left, very few now after CP+.
Tempting. But that means for me five more years without articulating screen. Or KP: five more years without embedded GPS. No, I stay with K-01 and K-5II till the end of the year. Then we will see.

03-06-2019, 10:08 AM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Tempting. But that means for me five more years without articulating screen. Or KP: five more years without embedded GPS. No, I stay with K-01 and K-5II till the end of the year. Then we will see.
JV: the K-5ii is still one hell of a camera, especially with its 16.3MP APS-c sweet spot. I just bought a new in box K-5ii myself and like the weight, the balance and the overall results. It's all about the image regardless. Good luck to you and let's hope RICOH in their 100 year salute to Pentax comes up with a new, 'true' APS-c flagship.
03-06-2019, 10:27 AM - 2 Likes   #51
New Member
ErikRuss's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
Just read this thread with interest, especially since I just purchased a used K-5. I've been an Olympus and Nikon user for years, and recently developed an interest in trying out the Pentax. I am also looking at the K-3 or K-3ii. If I transition from the other brands, then I will need to purchase lenses, after getting rid of the other gear. I use eBay and have made offers that are reasonable (usually within 85%-90% of asking price). I buy a camera for how it feels in my hand, the quality of build, and how well the pics turn out (which is based on techniques, shooting style, and then the ability of the camera combined with lens). I shot film when there was no such thing as auto focus, and video was done with movie cameras that used film (that you had to edit and splice). So I look for a DSLR that feels like a camera, handles like one, and doesn't contain a bunch of unneeded or unwanted "tricks & features." The K-5 appears to give me that, and if the K-3 is better, bring it on.
03-06-2019, 11:35 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,224
QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
Just read this thread with interest, especially since I just purchased a used K-5. I've been an Olympus and Nikon user for years, and recently developed an interest in trying out the Pentax. I am also looking at the K-3 or K-3ii. If I transition from the other brands, then I will need to purchase lenses, after getting rid of the other gear. I use eBay and have made offers that are reasonable (usually within 85%-90% of asking price). I buy a camera for how it feels in my hand, the quality of build, and how well the pics turn out (which is based on techniques, shooting style, and then the ability of the camera combined with lens). I shot film when there was no such thing as auto focus, and video was done with movie cameras that used film (that you had to edit and splice). So I look for a DSLR that feels like a camera, handles like one, and doesn't contain a bunch of unneeded or unwanted "tricks & features." The K-5 appears to give me that, and if the K-3 is better, bring it on.
Welcome aboard. I could not agree with your summary more. Good luck with your Pentax GAS
03-08-2019, 08:02 AM   #53
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 611
QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
So I look for a DSLR that feels like a camera, handles like one, and doesn't contain a bunch of unneeded or unwanted "tricks & features.
Welcome Erik,
I completely agree with you. That is why I use a Pentax K-1 (II) with my Leica-R Lenses most of the time... Still very glad with this perfect combo.

03-08-2019, 08:32 AM   #54
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
Just read this thread with interest, especially since I just purchased a used K-5. I've been an Olympus and Nikon user for years, and recently developed an interest in trying out the Pentax. I am also looking at the K-3 or K-3ii. If I transition from the other brands, then I will need to purchase lenses, after getting rid of the other gear. I use eBay and have made offers that are reasonable (usually within 85%-90% of asking price). I buy a camera for how it feels in my hand, the quality of build, and how well the pics turn out (which is based on techniques, shooting style, and then the ability of the camera combined with lens). I shot film when there was no such thing as auto focus, and video was done with movie cameras that used film (that you had to edit and splice). So I look for a DSLR that feels like a camera, handles like one, and doesn't contain a bunch of unneeded or unwanted "tricks & features." The K-5 appears to give me that, and if the K-3 is better, bring it on.
The K-3 has a pop-up flash, the K-3 ii has GPS-astrotracer functions and from what I see, slightly improved IQ (it was released about a year later than the K-3). I think they're both outstanding. If you like the way the K-5 feels in your hand, then the ergonomics of the K-3 series will be well received. The K-3/ii is a bit heavier than the K-5 series and there is one key element you should know about the K-3/ii v. K-5: There is no Anti-ALias (AA) filter on the K-3 series and therefore, the image quality may appear to be sharper (it also has a 24 mp sensor), but you may have a moire' issue on repeating patterns because of the unfiltered image. The Pentax Forum here has a great comparative review that was done when the K-3 series came out several years ago and is very informative, including sample test photos of the non-AA sensor.

I began using Pentax in the early 2000's (10D to a K-50 to K-3 to the current stable of 5 I have pictured in my signature line).

eBay is a great place to get gently used lenses; the marketplace here is as well. I would pick up a couple of inexpensive primes that are well received and at least the Pentax APS-c super kit lens 18-135mm. I bought mine on my K-50 several years ago. Sold the K-50-kept the lens and I've used it on every APS-c body I have had since, with great results. Also, look at some of the more expensive "Limited" Pentax series, those are outstanding.

I think once you've tried Pentax you will see the difference in the quality and the ruggedness of these cameras. And, with a more recent DC motor lens, the focus doesn't lag behind other camera marques despite what is spewed occasionally about Pentax AF. Good luck and enjoy the ride....
03-09-2019, 04:36 AM   #55
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,275
The times are over where FA glass sells for prices like new. Even older glass is becoming obsolete and Pentax first developed an APS-C System before seitching to FF.
For me only one or two lenses on K1 are missing to reach happiness. It took Pentax years to get to this point and it will take even longer to release these lenses. Both are on the roadmap for almost two years.
At the same time others are flying by. Large aperture suite from Sigma is complete from 14 to 135 mm. Canon and Nikon offer 2nd generation AF lenses in this field as well.

I am not lacking a new camera, but lenses. Sometimes it feels that Pentax presented more cameras than lenses over the last years. All these mk I models...

I have been waiting so long. So I can wait 6 more months for some happiness. Without real innovation and more lenses it becomes harder and harder to justify investing in Pentax.

Still K1-ii performs well, some new lenses are in sight and there must be a secret plan in tele land. I am ready to invest, but also ready to sell if nothing happens and before prices really drop. Old k-mount gear was overpriced until recently for no reason other than non existence in modern lineup or because pricing still looked OK. Anything below 100 bucks has no real retail value.
Most shops stopped selling used gear or stopped accepting trade ins years ago. Most of them even stopped selling Pentax.
03-09-2019, 10:10 AM - 1 Like   #56
New Member
ErikRuss's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 8
QuoteOriginally posted by Merv-O Quote
The K-3 has a pop-up flash, the K-3 ii has GPS-astrotracer functions and from what I see, slightly improved IQ (it was released about a year later than the K-3). I think they're both outstanding. If you like the way the K-5 feels in your hand, then the ergonomics of the K-3 series will be well received. The K-3/ii is a bit heavier than the K-5 series and there is one key element you should know about the K-3/ii v. K-5: There is no Anti-ALias (AA) filter on the K-3 series and therefore, the image quality may appear to be sharper (it also has a 24 mp sensor), but you may have a moire' issue on repeating patterns because of the unfiltered image. The Pentax Forum here has a great comparative review that was done when the K-3 series came out several years ago and is very informative, including sample test photos of the non-AA sensor.

I began using Pentax in the early 2000's (10D to a K-50 to K-3 to the current stable of 5 I have pictured in my signature line).

eBay is a great place to get gently used lenses; the marketplace here is as well. I would pick up a couple of inexpensive primes that are well received and at least the Pentax APS-c super kit lens 18-135mm. I bought mine on my K-50 several years ago. Sold the K-50-kept the lens and I've used it on every APS-c body I have had since, with great results. Also, look at some of the more expensive "Limited" Pentax series, those are outstanding.

I think once you've tried Pentax you will see the difference in the quality and the ruggedness of these cameras. And, with a more recent DC motor lens, the focus doesn't lag behind other camera marques despite what is spewed occasionally about Pentax AF. Good luck and enjoy the ride....
I'm currently looking at the following lenses: DA* 55 mm F 1.4, DA* 50-135 mm F 2.8, and the DA 55-300 mm F 4-5.8. I believe these will give me the ability to shoot as I like to without compromising the quality of glass. As far as the K-3 vs the K-3ii, I wouldn't use the GPS whereas the pop up flash would come in handy. I got rid of the Nikon D7100 and still have the D7000, but that will be going as well. With the availability of some of the older Pentax glass out there, I can "experiment" without spending major dollars. I have definitely decided to move to Pentax, simply because after a few days with the K-5, it feels good in my hands and I like the results I'm seeing (even with the inexpensive 18-200 mm Tamron that came with it). Personally, I think the Pentax does a better job with the RAW files than does Nikon (K-5 vs D7000).
03-09-2019, 01:40 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
I'm currently looking at the following lenses: DA* 55 mm F 1.4, DA* 50-135 mm F 2.8, and the DA 55-300 mm F 4-5.8. I believe these will give me the ability to shoot as I like to without compromising the quality of glass. As far as the K-3 vs the K-3ii, I wouldn't use the GPS whereas the pop up flash would come in handy. I got rid of the Nikon D7100 and still have the D7000, but that will be going as well. With the availability of some of the older Pentax glass out there, I can "experiment" without spending major dollars. I have definitely decided to move to Pentax, simply because after a few days with the K-5, it feels good in my hands and I like the results I'm seeing (even with the inexpensive 18-200 mm Tamron that came with it). Personally, I think the Pentax does a better job with the RAW files than does Nikon (K-5 vs D7000).
I would also eventually look into the 70mm f/2.4 Limited prime and the 20-40mm Limited mini telephoto. They really make the K-3 series pop. (sample of the 70mm Ltd.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3 II  Photo 
03-10-2019, 11:41 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Berlin
Posts: 257
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
The times are over where FA glass sells for prices like new. Even older glass is becoming obsolete and Pentax first developed an APS-C System before seitching to FF.
For me only one or two lenses on K1 are missing to reach happiness. It took Pentax years to get to this point and it will take even longer to release these lenses. Both are on the roadmap for almost two years.
At the same time others are flying by. Large aperture suite from Sigma is complete from 14 to 135 mm. Canon and Nikon offer 2nd generation AF lenses in this field as well.

I am not lacking a new camera, but lenses. Sometimes it feels that Pentax presented more cameras than lenses over the last years. All these mk I models...

I have been waiting so long. So I can wait 6 more months for some happiness. Without real innovation and more lenses it becomes harder and harder to justify investing in Pentax.

Still K1-ii performs well, some new lenses are in sight and there must be a secret plan in tele land. I am ready to invest, but also ready to sell if nothing happens and before prices really drop. Old k-mount gear was overpriced until recently for no reason other than non existence in modern lineup or because pricing still looked OK. Anything below 100 bucks has no real retail value.
Most shops stopped selling used gear or stopped accepting trade ins years ago. Most of them even stopped selling Pentax.
Have you bought the new DFA* 50mm?
03-11-2019, 02:43 AM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
Merv-O's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2018
Location: Philadelphia
Photos: Albums
Posts: 1,153
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
At the same time others are flying by. Large aperture suite from Sigma is complete from 14 to 135 mm. Canon and Nikon offer 2nd generation AF lenses in this field as well.
The fact that non-OEM manufacturers like SIGMA, Tamron, Samyang, IRIX, et al. build amazing lenses that are FA models means that my K-1 hums like a jet when I'm shooting for large prints. Particularly, the SIGMA 24-70mm or 12-24mm zooms.I like it better than the Pentax 28-105 kit lens. The older but still venerable Pentax 35mm f/2 and the 50mm f1.4 are sharp as well more than fast enough for street photography or low-light subjects. The DC motors in the Tamron and SIGMA are quiet, fast and with the IQ of the K-1, beautiful photos result....The investment in Pentax is secure.

Sorry, I just don't see your line of reasoning--The quality of my images doesn't require a Pentax lens on a Pentax body. I have several Voigtlander lenses for my Leica kit and they perform beautifully, and often at a savings over Leica glass. I live on the East Coast and two of the largest Pentax distributors (B&H and Adorama) are within 75 miles of my house and sell the entire line of OEM and aftermarket Pentax equipment.

The days of the local camera shop are waning. The one thing I do agree with you however, is the lack of marketing by RICOH of the Pentax brand. They make great equipment that few low about. Event B&H when they tout their brands,Pentax is not on their marketing page--you have to search. It's frustrating, but despite the extreme apathy of the bean counters at RICOH, the market share,, though small is stable.

In the final analysis, it's your images that make the difference, not the equipment.
03-11-2019, 12:56 PM   #60
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2016
Posts: 611
QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
Even older glass is becoming obsolete ../..
Obsolete compared to what? Compared to the new criteria of enormous glasses? I must disagree with that analysis of the validity of this assertion. Actually, Pentax lenses are good enough to make excellent photos, their weakness (if real) is not a criteria for a bad shoot, far from it. If you choose new lenses for pixel peeping, ok you are right. But that's not photography, or perhaps I am completely wrong.

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
For me only one or two lenses on K1 are missing to reach happiness.
What are these two lenses? Perhaps, I could help you finding them...

QuoteOriginally posted by zapp Quote
I am ready to invest, but also ready to sell if nothing happens and before prices really drop.
Sold your gear for what? New Canon EOS R/RP? These cameras can't compete with Pentax K-1 for its quality price ratio!
Sony A7xIII? Their EVF is awful and a retina killer... Leica SL is a gorgeous EVF FF camera, but too expensive and Panasonic S1/S1R have been released...
I have been keeping my Leica-R lenses when Leica abandoned DSLR FF camera. I was so pleased with my lenses and as I din't want to invest in new lenses for financial reasons also, I decided to pair them with a third party brand camera. I chose Canon EOS 5D, 5DMKII, 5DMKIII, 6D for convenience without changing mount. One of my friend tried with Nikon but they were mirror slam issues with Nikon D800/810. With Canon DSLR camera, I was 50% satisfied because of digital noise in shadows even at 100 Iso. While Canon EOS cameras' price were bargain on second hands, I could accept it. When they released EOS 5D MKIV at obscene price, I began to look for a reasonable DSLR camera. The issue was to change the mount of my beloved lenses. I tried the Pentax K-1 with Pentax (/Tamron) 24-70/2.8 and was convinced by the quality of that camera. I took the risk of changing the Leica mount for Leitax thanks to David Lladó's valuable tips. I do not regret a second of having done it!
I still follow the efforts made by other brands to make superb cameras such as Panasonic for their new EVF FF cameras. I could go for them but the Pentax K-1 (II) still is the best value for my needs. And if I need another camera, I could get a second-hand Pentax K-1 for less than 1.000 €. My loss for selling it should be less than 500€ if I change my mind later on.
I hope I do not bother you for my long speech, but I had to argue my deeper thoughts...
Best regards.

A counterexample about Pentax K-1 II with SMC Pentax-D FA Macro 50/2.8. This lens is very cheap and gorgeous...


Last edited by teiki arii; 03-14-2019 at 12:25 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
15mm, angle, camera, cameras, dslr, gear, k-1, lenses, marketplace, pentax, pentax cameras, photography, price, primes, release, replacement, switch, time
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
We don't make photos, they make us Mattox General Photography 10 07-31-2015 01:21 PM
Cameras cameras cameras Lurch Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 04-14-2013 02:54 AM
The rich get richer but the poor.. well.. jeffkrol General Talk 1 11-17-2011 04:27 PM
The rich are much richer than you and me jeffkrol General Talk 5 12-27-2010 11:28 AM
I'm richer than I thought. I own this lens. Tak 55mm f1.8 Peter Zack Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 25 10-11-2009 10:49 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:21 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top