Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 40 Likes Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 09:09 AM - 3 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New Pentax Cameras Make Us All Richer!

Some of my livelihood is from buying/repairing/selling camera lenses. For each of the last 7 years I've bought and sold 5 figures worth of camera lenses.

Lately, I've found it difficult to sell K mount lenses (and most other Pentax gear too) either on Ebay or here in the Pentax Forums marketplace.

If you follow the marketplace here, I'm sure that you've noticed many ads that read "REDUCED" OR "REDUCED AGAIN". That's because Pentax gear is just not selling (unless a seller is willing to take an unsolicited low ball offer). For example, of the last 10 items I listed here I withdrew 8 of them because they would not sell.

A few years ago, after the release of the Pentax K3ii and then the Pentax K-1, Pentax gear that I was selling almost always sold (and for a fair price). But now that other camera brands are coming out with ever new cameras (and Pentax is not) Pentax gear is not selling as well and when it does sell, it's selling price is very low (e.g. K-1 sold for $800, 31 ltd lens in $400s, no offers at all on Zeiss ZK lenses).

I couldn't switch systems now without taking a huge financial loss. These days I'd take a huge hit on selling my used Pentax gear (if I could even sell it at all).

So, let's all cheer for Pentax to release some new revolutionary "super" camera bodies (e.g. K3ii and K1 - don't put K70/KP/K1ii in the "revolutionary" category) in the near future. When/if that happens, our Pentax lenses/batteries/misc-accessories will go up in value which will enable those of us with lots of Pentax gear more "options" (sell current Pentax gear and upgrade; sell current Pentax gear and switch brands).

Like it or not, until Pentax releases their next generation of cameras, many of us will be stuck with the gear we have right now (because we can't/won't invest more into lour photography hobby). Maybe that's OK with some of you, but I prefer to have options...

Last edited by Fenwoodian; 03-03-2019 at 09:56 AM.
03-03-2019, 09:55 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Amen brother.
03-03-2019, 09:56 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I think that I would pretty much agree with you. I actually think your issue is more no new users. But you can definitely put that on lack of new bodies or product to attract new customers. This s what I don’t understand about Ricoh. Pentax used to be known for innovation instead of stagnation.

I’ve been shooting the K-3II And K-5 for a few years now and have acquired around 15 lenses. I have almost covered the focal range for both crop and full frame. In case I decide to finally pull the trigger and purchase a full frame. Which I very nearly did yesterday when one popped up for $800. Would of done it but I could see next weeks headline about a man whose wife killed him with a camera. The only thing that I am missing is an ultra wide full frame below 24mm. Would like the 15-30 but think I would probably go for a Sigma 12-24 first due to cost. So if you have or come across the Sigma please feel free to reach out and we’ll see if we can make a deal.
03-03-2019, 10:05 AM - 1 Like   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I've switched systems twice.

And I'm not looking to do it again. I was in Oly in the aughts, then Sony FF and an NEX7 into 2015/6, overlapping with my purchase of a Z in 2014, just a couple of months after it came out.

Each time was somewhat painful, although I used my gear for trade-ins. Even if Pentax goes under (unlikely, I think), I won't be swapping out again. Way too satisfied with what I now have in Pentax across FF and medium format. So, no worries about prices dropping, or slow sales for me.

03-03-2019, 10:07 AM - 2 Likes   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by steve_k Quote
I think that I would pretty much agree with you. I actually think your issue is more no new users. But you can definitely put that on lack of new bodies or product to attract new customers. This s what I don’t understand about Ricoh. Pentax used to be known for innovation instead of stagnation.

I’ve been shooting the K-3II And K-5 for a few years now and have acquired around 15 lenses. I have almost covered the focal range for both crop and full frame. In case I decide to finally pull the trigger and purchase a full frame. Which I very nearly did yesterday when one popped up for $800. Would of done it but I could see next weeks headline about a man whose wife killed him with a camera. The only thing that I am missing is an ultra wide full frame below 24mm. Would like the 15-30 but think I would probably go for a Sigma 12-24 first due to cost. So if you have or come across the Sigma please feel free to reach out and we’ll see if we can make a deal.
I'm with you. I'm still shooting the K-5iis and K-3 and have thought about a K-1 but have held off. I own a huge array of glass with many extras I need to sell but have been taking a bath on the ones I have because the market has all but dried up. I've picked up a few bargains to fill in like the Sigma 8-16 and 18-35 Art but mostly I've held off and haven't bought any new Pentax glass. I'm skeptical of the staggeringly uniform praise for new glass being so amazingly superior. Nonetheless, I'd like to have AF that is on par with our competitors. That is really my only gripe with our system. Our cameras are generally smaller, cost less, are weather sealed, and take better photos than I am capable of capturing - but when I miss more photos than far less skilled photographers because the AF lags it does wear thin.
03-03-2019, 10:36 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fenwoodian Quote
Lately, I've found it difficult to sell K mount lenses (and most other Pentax gear too) either on Ebay or here in the Pentax Forums marketplace.
It's also more difficult to sell new cameras regardless the brand. Regarding the used Pentax gear for sale, If you aren't able to sell Pentax used, it is because the price is too high. I sold a lot of Pentax gear but my prices were lower than here in the market place. For me , most of the second hand gear sold in Pentax forum market place is overpriced, I never bought anything from the market place because I can either find cheaper or because there isn't enough difference between the price of the used equipment sold in the market place or the price of buying new. I mean, if the price of the gear sold here is 80%-90% of the price new, I don't even bother buying used equipment with scratches and expired warranted. For me, if I buy used gear (that has been used a few year and sometime was already purchased used...) I I buy at 50% of the price new: example FA31ltd I buy this kind of stuff for $500 not more, otherwise I buy it new in Japan for $750. .... I mean, it's a bit too easy to buy some lenses used , use them for a couple of years and resell them the same price in the market place... obviously , you buy the lens , you use it, it is normal that you sell it for as low as how long you used it.
03-03-2019, 10:40 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
It's also more difficult to sell new cameras regardless the brand. Regarding the used Pentax gear for sale, If you aren't able to sell Pentax used, it is because the price is too high. I sold a lot of Pentax gear but my prices were lower than here in the market place. For me , most of the second hand gear sold in Pentax forum market place is overpriced, I never bought anything from the market place because I can either find cheaper or because there isn't enough difference between the price of the used equipment sold in the market place or the price of buying new. I mean, if the price of the gear sold here is 80%-90% of the price new, I don't even bother buying used equipment with scratches and expired warranted. For me, if I buy used gear (that has been used a few year and sometime was already purchased used...) I I buy at 50% of the price new: example FA31ltd I buy this kind of stuff for $500 not more, otherwise I buy it new in Japan for $750. .... I mean, it's a bit too easy to buy some lenses used , use them for a couple of years and resell them the same price in the market place...
I'm already listing much of my used gear at 50% of new price on Ebay, and it's listed with an invitation to make "offers". What I'm saying is that these days on Ebay, I can not even get offers (not even low ball offers) of much of my Pentax gear.

03-03-2019, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

I'm already listing much of my used gear at 50% of new price on Ebay, and it's listed with an invitation to make "offers". What I'm saying is that these days on Ebay, I can not even get offers (not even low ball offers) of much of my Pentax gear.
For that you have to thank the folks who created as much FUD as possible on PF and DPR forum, when Ricoh does not promote stong, all those troll do a good job at marking Pentax less attractive.
03-03-2019, 10:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

For me, the elephant in the corner of the room is the Canon EOS 200D. Here in South Africa I can get a dual lens EOS 200D kit for half the price of a new KP. I haven't crossed shopped them but the value proposition is on Canon's side. Just saying...

There isn't a lot of Pentax gear on the local market. To make it worse, sellers in the local classifieds have an inflated sense of the value of their gear. There is a K5 II (body only) on offer for about the same price as a brand new EOS 200D. Don't even get me started on the EOS 2000D and 4000D. All plastic, yes, but when you compare the price to used Pentax gear there is lot of thinking to be done.
03-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been seeing some low prices for lenses on Adorama and B&H and have wondered why. I bought the silver 20-40 limited at Adorama for $450.00, the sale lasted only a day or two. Then the price jumped back up. The black version stayed at regular price, seems odd. Now I see Pentax USA has the 55-300 PLM for $400.00, $50.00 under dealer price. Whats up with Pentax under pricing their dealers?
03-03-2019, 10:52 AM   #11
Pentaxian

As I wrote, Canon also have problems to sell their brand new cameras , and even more problems to sell their DSLR. In 2019, nobody buy DSLR stuff anymore, because the marketing / promotion of mirrorless in 2018 was never so high in the entire history of the camera industry. Even the never ended articles about new product that DPR puts out, people can even remember what was released two month ago.

Just to give you an example: in the previous years, when I stopped by the Canon shop, they did not care about selling me anything, too busy etc... This year, I stopped by, the same guys asked me if he can offer me a coffee, he opened the Canon shelf and proposed me to try. I asked him if I could borrow the EOS R for a couple of days and he accepted. Two years ago I asked him if I could borrow or rent a camera he said "No way". So, yeah, the situation has changed. If you see so much ads done by DPR now it is because everyone is spending more in advertising to try to sell whatever they can sell.
03-03-2019, 10:59 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have some excess of Pentax lens which I would happy to sell, but indeed it has a small economical sense now. But the main problem for me lays in the fact I cannot buy a new APS-C camera. What I want is the camera with the quality of KP and its articulated screen + integrated GPS of Pentax K3II. Pentax for sure can produce it, but for some (probably economical) reason does not want. Especially frustrating is the fact there is no expected future APS-C announced. KP customization is just ridiculous. Let us wait what all this 100 years celebration brings in the next ten months. If nothing, there will be not much sense to wait any longer.
03-03-2019, 11:14 AM   #13
Pentaxian

Over and over again I have complained about use of the word "invest" for the purchase of camera equipment. It is partially true, but it is also partially misleading.

True: the word "invest" implies long-term use - not a consumable which will be gone and need to replaced in a given period of time.

Misleading - the word "invest" implies a vehicle for making money as it appreciates in value; maybe that has been true at certain times, but it is a very risky vehicle. In one motion, Canon destroyed the value of FD-mount lenses when they introduced the EF-mount. Similarly, they damaged value of old lenses when they introduced new lenses with Image Stabilization in the lens, and I assume their introduction of MILC cameras has done nothing good to the value of the existing stock of lenses. I assume, but don't know, that advances in K-mount, such as KAF3 and KAF4 mount have also not been kind to the value of the existing stock of lenses.
03-03-2019, 11:16 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Camera gear, especially everything for sensors smaller than medium format, the rate of obsolescence is faster and faster. The European dealer of used camera equipment , by end of 2018/2019, after so much noise about mirrorless, they ran out of storage space for used DSLR gear, I've seen en truck full of DSLR camera and lenses, they don't know where to put it. Stuff like Canon 5DIII are selling for a few hundred Euros and if they don't sell them , they go to demolition (perfectly working cameras or lenses) in order to free up storage space... With mirrorless, the trend accelerates: You see the Nikon Z6 and Z7, and the EOS R.... in 3 years from now nobody will want such cameras because the newer models will do Eye AF and AF tracking so much better...
03-03-2019, 11:17 AM - 1 Like   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I get the impression that some e-bay users don't understand the concept of "offers", they either don't make an offer or make a silly half price offer.