Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 01:39 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Can anyone recommend an android geotracking app?

Looking for something easy to use.

03-03-2019, 02:33 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Chances are you already got one, always on always seeing what you do =). Try the (google) maps app, open the menu and select "Your Timeline"
03-03-2019, 02:54 PM   #3

I use this one GPX Logger (Ad Free) - Apps on Google Play
Best,
03-03-2019, 04:44 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by danielblues Quote
Will this app have a web site that will transfer the Geo info to my photos so they will show on the Lightroom map module?

03-03-2019, 06:35 PM   #5
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I use Ultra GPS Logger and highly recommend it; but, as I recall, it costs a few dollars. It can create several different file formats for your gps data, one of which is recognized by Lightroom.

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
Will this app have a web site that will transfer the Geo info to my photos so they will show on the Lightroom map module?
The Lightroom Map module will integrate the gps data from your .gpx file with your photos depending on the time stamps. This is done within Lightroom without going to an outside web site. In the Map module under the Map/Tracklog menu, Load Tracklog... and then select Auto-Tag Photos after selecting the photos you want auto-tagged.

Last edited by cpk; 03-05-2019 at 05:57 AM. Reason: small corrections
03-03-2019, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpk Quote
I use Ultra GPS Logger and highly recommend it; but, as I recall, it costs a few dollars. I can create several different file formats for your gps data, one of which is recognized by Lightroom.

The Lightroom Map module will integrate the gps data from your .gpx file with your photos depending on the time stamps. This is done within Lightroom without going to an outside web site. In the Map module under the Map/Tracklog menu, Load Tracklog... and then select Auto-Tag Photos after selecting the photos you want auto-tagged.
So how do I get the gpx file from my phone to the photos I've taken?
03-03-2019, 10:23 PM   #7
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

So how do I get the gpx file from my phone to the photos I've taken?
Move the .gpx file from your phone to your desktop or laptop, either by connecting one to the other with a usb cable or by emailing it to yourself. Once stored on your computer you open it within Lightroom as I indicated earlier (Load Tracklog...).

03-04-2019, 03:02 AM   #8

No, it will log your track to a gpx file and you have to sync it with some software to write the gps coordinates the the jpg/dng exif records.
I start every log with a photo of my phone clock (with seconds) to be able to easily sync it with the camera clock.
By "some software" I mean darktable, digikam or exiftool on linux. Hope some one will chip in if lightroom does the same.
03-04-2019, 03:09 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks, it's easy!

Thanks Charles, I've just followed your instructions and they worked perfectly.

Now to find an iOS GPS logging app that doesn't drain the battery as fast as I suspect OpenGPx Tracker is doing.

Still, it's better than draining the camera battery and infinitely better than post-trip guessing the points on Google Earth at which the photos have been taken (I keep forgetting to turn on the GPS, and the phone is always on!)
03-04-2019, 03:35 AM   #10

No, it will log your track to a gpx file and you have to sync it with some software to write the gps coordinates the the jpg/dng exif records.
I start every log with a photo of my phone clock (with seconds) to be able to easily sync it with the camera clock.
By "some software" I mean darktable, digikam or exiftool on linux. Hope some one will chip in if lightroom does the same.
Ups! Redundant statement... note to self: Read new messages before replying
03-04-2019, 05:31 AM   #11
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by vrphoto Quote
(I keep forgetting to turn on the GPS, and the phone is always on!)
But you do have to turn the Android app on to start it logging, something I have sometimes forgotten to do until I'm already well into my trip. Or, if you're taking a break and have turned the app off, remembering to turn it back on.
03-04-2019, 07:16 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I will second the recommendation for GPXlogger. It's very lightweight and straightforward.

I have also found that the phone's default location services (which google maps depends on when running in the background) are... I guess you could say they're lazy. They'll just jump to the nearest cell tower's location at random. I also have my phone set to geotag photos I take with the phone camera and the tags are WAY off at least half the time. Using a standalone logging app like GPXLogger I haven't had this problem so far.

It's also nice that the UI is so simple. No navigating vague menus to export the right file types, it just saves a gpx to the app's folder when you hit "stop" and it's right there when you plug your phone into your computer.

For those without lightroom I believe the freeware "easyGPS" also lets you sync geotags to your photo exif.
03-04-2019, 07:01 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm having a problem with gpx logger. I can load the tracklog and it shows up on lightroom maps but it won't let me autotag or select photos on track log. It says no photos available.
03-05-2019, 06:22 AM   #14
cpk
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm having a problem with gpx logger. I can load the tracklog and it shows up on lightroom maps but it won't let me autotag or select photos on track log. It says no photos available.
Before I wrote my preceding response about how to do the auto-tagging in Lightroom, I went into the software and did the auto-tagging of two photo shoots where I had traveled some distance in each case, one in the city and the other in the country. I did this because I had not done this procedure in a long time and wanted to make sure I described it correctly. I had a hell of a time figuring it out. Why? Mainly because I hadn't done it in so long, but in one case I had your problem because it was around the time daylight savings time came into effect and I hadn't adjusted my camera's time. The times in the cell phone and the camera were out of sync. There is an adjustment in the Map/Tracklog menu called Set Time Zone Offset...; I had to adjust this by one hour to fix the problem. I suspect this may be your problem too.
03-05-2019, 06:26 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yeah, make sure the timestamps are right. I had to adjust one batch of photos by 10 years because I hadn't realized that when I left the battery out for long enough the time/date defaulted back to the year of manufacture!