Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2019, 05:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Wanting opinions on sensors

So I just bought a cheap but almost new K-m with a 10 mp sensor. I am really enjoying playing with it as I haven't shot many photos since I was shooting film with my Super Program.
I am thinking that I want a "keep for a long time" camera and am looking for your more skilled opinions on what to get. I have a line on a K s2 with a 256 shutter count and absolute mint condition. I am wondering how well the 20mp sensor is compared to the newer 24mp sensors.
Could I get this Ks2 and be happy with it for a long time or should I hold out for a K70 or K3ii? I'm not really thinking that more money makes a better camera but are the newer cameras sensor and features worth the increased cost.
I have a few old manual and KA mount lenses and like to take wildlife and landscape type photos.

03-03-2019, 06:04 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Bob.

Have a look at this comparison.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-S2&...=Pentax+K-3+II

There's really not much between the three, but the K-3ii is the better camera, in my view. Of course, the K-3ii does not have a built in flash, so, if you need that feature, the K-70 would be your better choice.
03-03-2019, 06:54 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

There's a jump in image quality going from the K-3 to the KP and K-70. The K-S2 is not far behind the K-3, but you do lose the 14 bit raw. If you're interested in durability, though, then either the K-3 or KP would be the way to go. They both have long-life shutters and magnesium alloy bodies.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-03-2019, 07:48 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
The K3 and the KP are both very good . The KP is compact and lack a few features of the K3 but more than makes up for it in other areas.

03-03-2019, 08:27 PM   #5
PJ1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome to the Forums. You have got the definitive answer to your question already so I won't go there except to add that the K-m has a CCD sensor where the newer cameras have a CMOS sensor. It is all a bit technical but some people think the CCD sensor renders reds a bit better. Anyway, click away with what you have for the time being. Nothing wrong with the K-m.
03-03-2019, 08:32 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
There's a jump in image quality going from the K-3 to the KP and K-70. The K-S2 is not far behind the K-3, but you do lose the 14 bit raw. If you're interested in durability, though, then either the K-3 or KP would be the way to go. They both have long-life shutters and magnesium alloy bodies.
So the K70 is better than the K3? Don't they have the sensor? Humor me I'm still learning.
03-03-2019, 08:33 PM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bob Roberts Quote
So I just bought a cheap but almost new K-m with a 10 mp sensor. I am really enjoying playing with it as I haven't shot many photos since I was shooting film with my Super Program.
I am thinking that I want a "keep for a long time" camera and am looking for your more skilled opinions on what to get. I have a line on a K s2 with a 256 shutter count and absolute mint condition. I am wondering how well the 20mp sensor is compared to the newer 24mp sensors.
Could I get this Ks2 and be happy with it for a long time or should I hold out for a K70 or K3ii? I'm not really thinking that more money makes a better camera but are the newer cameras sensor and features worth the increased cost.
I have a few old manual and KA mount lenses and like to take wildlife and landscape type photos.
I have a K-S2 and think it's a wonderful little camera. The OVF is larger than on the K-m (which I once had and liked) which makes using manual focus lenses more enjoyable. The body itself feels more sturdy than its low price would imply.

I prefer my K-3 II w/battery grip for wildlife shooting, mainly because of the better handling with larger lenses, quieter shutter, and deeper buffer (more continuous photos when the shutter button is held down). The K-70 and KP seem to have better high-ISO performance, though.

In terms of the ability to resolve fine detail, I find very little difference between the 20MP sensor in the K-S2 and the 24MP sensor in the K-3 II. I have never made a photo with my K-S2 and thought, "gee, I wish I had used my K-3 II instead so I could get 4 more megapickles".

The "problem" with digital is that every year or two or three there's a shiny new camera that has a feature(s) that catches your eye, so it's hard to recommend a camera that fits the criteria of "keep for a long time". That said, if I were looking to replace my K-S2 right now, I would 90% buy another K-S2.

03-03-2019, 10:57 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So the K70 is better than the K3? Don't they have the sensor? Humor me I'm still learning.
The K-70 and KP have a newer sensor than the K-3. The difference is most noticeable at higher ISO settings (see our K-70 review).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-04-2019, 01:37 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by PJ1 Quote
Welcome to the Forums. You have got the definitive answer to your question already so I won't go there except to add that the K-m has a CCD sensor where the newer cameras have a CMOS sensor. It is all a bit technical but some people think the CCD sensor renders reds a bit better. Anyway, click away with what you have for the time being. Nothing wrong with the K-m.
This may be a point to consider if thinking about trading up rather than expanding to two (or more) cameras.

I have a couple of the 6Megapixel CCD-sensor *ist DSLR's, unmodified, and they are noticeably better at producing an image when an infra-red filter is fitted to the lens than my later cameras, which may well also be reflected in the "better" reds others have commented on.

I realise one can produce very convincing "faux" infra-red images in Photoshop or whatever, but if you want something near to the "real thing", without going to the expense of having a camera modified, one of the earlier cameras may be desirable.

YMMV - Enjoy
03-04-2019, 02:19 AM - 1 Like   #10
Pentaxian

As many people have commented (including myself) on this and other forums and web sites, at this moment in time the K-70 will give the best 'bang for your buck' of any DSLR. But it is up to you to read the reviews and comparisons here and elsewhere and decide. It would seem reasonable to assume that you would get many years of good work from it. However, many enthusiasts follow the evolution in technology, such that they tend to upgrade to a more recent model with improved photographic capability every few years.

Philip
03-04-2019, 02:37 AM - 3 Likes   #11
Banned

I think the K-S2 is a nice camera. If you got a good price offer then you maybe have money left to spend on a nice lens like one of the da35mm or da50mm.
03-04-2019, 08:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even though the K-70 and K-3 both have 24MP sensors, the K-70's is a newer design, plus the K-70 also debuted Pentax's "accelerator" unit, which reduces image noise and also seems to improve color fidelity at high ISO. The KP and K-1 Mk II also use an accelerator.
03-04-2019, 10:32 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
So I just bought a cheap but almost new K-m with a 10 mp sensor.
I am thinking that I want a "keep for a long time" camera and am looking for your more skilled opinions on what to get.
Lots of good advice above, but I'll add a wrinkle to your thoughts. Because you are comparing options for a new DSLR, wondering about the value of a better sensor that you want to keep for a long time, but wanting to get value....I would recommend spending first on a new (or used) modern lens.

The benefits that you will get from a 20-24MP sensor will be limited mostly by the use of older lenses, more than sensor pixel count. You can immediately benefit with your existing camera with modern optics and then when you eventually replace that camera, you will have a camera sensor that will benefit from the better optics designed for a modern DSLR.

Yes, there are advantages to the cameras that have been released after the K-S2, but the entry level Pentax cameras are equivalent to the mid-level Canikon models and coming from a K-m, you'll love the K-S2. But if it is the images in your photography that you're truly caring to upgrade, the lens is a bigger factor than a 10MP vs. 20-24MP sensor (in most cases). The exception might be low light, high ISO situations, wanting to shoot video, having a swivel or tilt screen for shooting with LiveView, etc.
03-04-2019, 11:11 AM - 1 Like   #14

I have the K-2000 (a version of the K-m), K200D, K5, K3, and K1, along with some film SLR cameras. I have pictures that I love from each camera. When using Auto-ISO, I keep the high value at 800-1200. Most of the time I use 100-400 ISO if possible. I don't think I have shot over 3200 ISO so I can't speak to "high" ISO. Each sensor and camera has positives and negatives. I am a "still" photographer and have not made video with any of the video capable cameras. I have not interfaced with the K70 or KS2 so I can't comment. I still use my K200D and K5 to back up the K3 and K1 because the K200D 10MP CCD has great rendering of colors and depth. Part of the issue depends on how large you want to print and the image expansion algorithms package you use. With all the knowledge on this site, I would consider what the folks have said about the K70 and K2S as it sounds like they will step you up in the APS-C sensor game.

JB
03-04-2019, 11:49 AM   #15
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As regards sensors, if you have no need for huge prints/lots of cropping, and high iso (above 1600) my experience using K-20d, k-x, K-5 and K-S2, is there is fairly significant improvement moving from K-20d to K-x, and marginal improvement from K-x to K-5. I don't have enough usage of the K-S2 to say how it compares to the K-5. But it does not seem significantly better or worse. (BTW I use them for theatre photography and use the K-20d at iso 1600 and the others at iso 400).

Price wise the K-S2 and K-5 are similar, but ergonomics are quite different. None of this addresses AF, etc. But the K-S2 may have issues with aperture block failure, and the K-5 (and apparently the K-3) is a proven work-horse w/o any (more common) mechanical issues.