Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
03-05-2019, 11:49 AM - 1 Like   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Lots of good advice above, but I'll add a wrinkle to your thoughts. Because you are comparing options for a new DSLR, wondering about the value of a better sensor that you want to keep for a long time, but wanting to get value....I would recommend spending first on a new (or used) modern lens.

The benefits that you will get from a 20-24MP sensor will be limited mostly by the use of older lenses, more than sensor pixel count. You can immediately benefit with your existing camera with modern optics and then when you eventually replace that camera, you will have a camera sensor that will benefit from the better optics designed for a modern DSLR.

Yes, there are advantages to the cameras that have been released after the K-S2, but the entry level Pentax cameras are equivalent to the mid-level Canikon models and coming from a K-m, you'll love the K-S2. But if it is the images in your photography that you're truly caring to upgrade, the lens is a bigger factor than a 10MP vs. 20-24MP sensor (in most cases). The exception might be low light, high ISO situations, wanting to shoot video, having a swivel or tilt screen for shooting with LiveView, etc.
Listening to this I picked up a slightly used DA 55-300 and you are right, I am much happier with the detail in the shots.
Being it has been about -30c daily here since the end of January I haven't had much chance to try it out other than the feeders in my backyard but I am happy with it for now. Birthday is in a few months and it looks like there is a good supply of used K-70 bodies out there.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-m  Photo