Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2019, 08:06 PM - 2 Likes   #196
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
There is a story behind the photo below:

One day in early March 2018, I was glancing out the window when I noticed one squirrel chasing another, so I grabbed my K-30 {which had the DA 55-300 already mounted}; I expected this combination to have trouble focusing on the quickly-moving squirrels, so I focused on an area instead, and was very pleased when their chase carried them into that area. The next morning, the doctor's office from the nursing facility where my mother was staying called asking me to meet with him later that day, so I loaded this photo into my tablet and showed it to her while we waited - she weakly said "cute". When the doctor arrived a few minutes later, he quietly told me that she had two or three days of life left in her. I never heard another word from her, as she did die 68 hours later.

So, there is nothing inherently special about this photo, but it will always be special to me - and it was possible only because I knew how to work around characteristics of my K-30. One thing that excites me about the KP is that more often than not it does what I want, instead of my having to plan based of what I know about its capabilities. This type of experience is why I keep saying that Pentax AF is improving, and someone should not criticize it if s/he doesn't have experience with equipment currently sold by Pentax.

06-12-2019, 01:58 AM   #197
Pentaxian

That’s very touching, thanks for sharing.

I noticed a substantial AF improvement moving from K-5 to K-3II, so have no issue with the current implementation. I use AF.C exclusively with back-button focussing, which means that it can be used as an AF.S replacement on the hoof by focusing and then taking your thumb off the button.
06-12-2019, 09:34 AM   #198
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dan Rentea Quote
If it's not user error, he has to check his lenses for front/back focus.
Looking at the seams in the walkway, it appears focused about 2 seams in front (closer to camera).

I noticed that sharpness was set to soft, which probably doesn't help.

Last edited by rogerstg; 06-12-2019 at 09:43 AM.
06-18-2019, 01:40 PM   #199
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by E-man Quote
Autofocus works great when you're at least ten feet away from your subject, but for macro/close focus work, I just switch the camera to manual focus and save myself some headaches. That way, the camera's focus mechanism is linked directly to my brain via my fingertips and I more consistently get the shots I want. That's how I learned to shoot almost 40 years ago and you know what? No matter how complicated the technology gets it still just plain works.
I also manual focus for some low light shots. Can't wait to test manual focus on my new K-70. I've been shooting since my teens, and I'm now in my early 40s. I'm just glad my vision's in good shape still.