Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2019, 06:24 PM   #16
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So, you didn't have your Pentax there as a control on your experiment?
Apparently not, yet if we have a good feel for our equipment, initial perceptions of alternatives can still be useful...

03-04-2019, 07:34 PM   #17

Original Poster
That hasn't been announced or released!
Meant to type XF23mm f2.

But yeah, I didn't have my K-x with me to compare. However, I know how K-x behaves in similar situations.
03-04-2019, 08:02 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by brofessor Quote
Meant to type XF23mm f2.
Yes,I thought so...what I suggest you do is.Go back to said store,put the 27mm on the XT3 then tell us about Fuji AF.While you are there put Fujis worst lens(18mm) on the XT3 or XT30(if the have it)...and see what that result is.

OK, don't bother...I'll tell you now. FUJIFILM AF eats Pentax AF for breakfast lunch and dinner.

How do I know?Well I just put the 27mm(I own 2) on Xe3(same as XT20) and did a low contrast test in my dimmest room(needs a skylight).

@ 12 inches it didn't focus,but did at around 2 feet.The 18mm focused(immediately no hunt) up close (18mm is 2nd smallest Fuji lens)

As a control I put the 40mm ltd on the K-1 in crop mode..@12 inches wouldn't focus at 2ft it is slow.Same result in FF mode.Then tried the kit lens in FF mode same again.

Then I put both Fuji lenses on the XT3 @ 12 inches INSTANT focus from both.The XT3 is straight out of the box,i haven't even opened the manual.

But no body has to believe me,i just own both systems.Go and test the latest Fuji,it sets the standard until $$$ony better it.

---------- Post added 03-05-19 at 02:04 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
initial perceptions of alternatives can still be useful...
As useful as testing obsolete technology?
03-04-2019, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But no body has to believe me,i just own both systems.Go and test the latest Fuji,it sets the standard until $$$ony better it.

Uh Oh the embedded quick reaction Fuji Defense team springs into action. Recant and repent Ye Transgressor or Ye will be smitten!!

Last edited by Larrymc; 03-04-2019 at 08:45 PM.
03-04-2019, 08:37 PM - 2 Likes   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FUJIFILM AF eats Pentax AF for breakfast lunch and dinner.
@surfar, I'm not sure this statement is easily understood. What does it mean?

did a low contrast test in my dimmest room
Could you please give some details about your test set-up, lighting conditions and target characteristics?

@ 12 inches it didn't focus,but did at around 2 feet.
What conclusions did you draw about the lack of focus at a subject distance of 12 inches?

The 18mm focused(immediately no hunt)
"Immediately" could mean instantaneously, which is difficult to believe. Did you measure the time the camera took to lock focus?

As a control I put the 40mm ltd on the K-1 in crop mode.
If I understand your test objectives and testing approach, you were comparing two camera systems - the Fuji and the Pentax. In such a case, the Pentax would not have been a "control" because it was one of the systems that you were assessing. Would be useful to our understanding if your meaning of "control" was further explained.

the K-1 in crop mode..@12 inches wouldn't focus at 2ft it is slow.
Any conclusions about lack of focus at 12 inches? What is meant by "slow?" Quantitative measurements (i.e., timings) would be useful to back up the statement.

Fuji lenses on the XT3 @ 12 inches INSTANT focus from both

I think many readers would wonder about the use of the term "INSTANT" here. Do you mean "faster?"

The description omits any discussion of focus accuracy. It would certainly be useful for readers to hear about your conclusions on this crucial aspect of focus performance.

Finally, could you comment on the practical implications of your findings? Did you find differences that would be significant in real-world usage?

Thanks.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 03-06-2019 at 02:15 PM.
03-04-2019, 11:36 PM - 4 Likes   #21
Veteran Member

Yes,I thought so...what I suggest you do is.Go back to said store,put the 27mm on the XT3 then tell us about Fuji AF.While you are there put Fujis worst lens(18mm) on the XT3 or XT30(if the have it)...and see what that result is.

OK, don't bother...I'll tell you now. FUJIFILM AF eats Pentax AF for breakfast lunch and dinner.

How do I know?Well I just put the 27mm(I own 2) on Xe3(same as XT20) and did a low contrast test in my dimmest room(needs a skylight).

@ 12 inches it didn't focus,but did at around 2 feet.The 18mm focused(immediately no hunt) up close (18mm is 2nd smallest Fuji lens)

As a control I put the 40mm ltd on the K-1 in crop mode..@12 inches wouldn't focus at 2ft it is slow.Same result in FF mode.Then tried the kit lens in FF mode same again.

Then I put both Fuji lenses on the XT3 @ 12 inches INSTANT focus from both.The XT3 is straight out of the box,i haven't even opened the manual.

It is really important to mention that the lens you have chosen has a minimal focus distance of 40cm (15.8 inches), so it cannot focus at 12 inches no matter how good the af system in.

Also, lenses wide angle lenses have a greater DOF as normal/tele lenses, so it is not really a fair comparison.
(i do not own any of the cameras you compared, so cannot comment which is faster/preciser, just about your somewhat questionable choices)
03-04-2019, 11:39 PM   #22
Pentaxian

With Pentax is depends a lot on the lens AF motors speed. For example, the DFA28-105 is significantly faster to focus than the DFA24-70, and the DFA24-70 is also the Tamron 24-70 SP VC or VR for Canon and Nikon, which means.. if you use that same lens on any Canon or Nikon camera, it will be significantly slower to focus than a DFA28-105 on a Pentax K1, K1 II or KP. Other example is the Sony 28-75 f5.6, that lens on a Sony A7III is slower to focus then a DFA28-105 on a K1. So, for me it is clear that if you want fast autofocus on any brand you have to buy the glass that is equipped with AF drive motor. Another example of the lens effect is if you mount a DA40, XS40 or DA35 (screw drive) or DFA*50 on a K1 or KP, it is very very fast to focus, it is faster than any zoom.

The problem is, a number of Pentaxians are on a budget, they will compare Pentax AF using an old camera+lens to the newer generation system of the competing brand and come up with a bold statement "Pentax AF sucks". It just doesn't quite work this way, and we've seen this kind of apple to oranges comparisions from users over and over again.

---------- Post added 05-03-19 at 07:48 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by KiloHotelphoto Quote
No never tried mirrorless, looked at the A9 when I switched but sony long lens selection was worse than Pentax at the time. Held one about a year ago, felt like a toy and didn’t fit my hand at all just way to small don’t think I could ever get used to shooting something like that.
You've chosen a 5DSr, and I was looking at that camera: despite what people say about the dynamic range, the images I see from the 5DSr say otherwise. The the 5DSr you have the lens selection + you can get outstanding resolution if you mount a sharp lens on it. And currently, it is cheaper to mount a second hand 5DSr and glass than it is to built a milc system, but.. there aren't many 5DSr, people seen to keep them :-)

03-04-2019, 11:55 PM - 8 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Modern camera, modern lens makes a hell of a difference.

KP and DFA150-450

The DFA28-105 can even make flightless birds fly

03-05-2019, 12:44 AM   #24
Veteran Member

I noticed a big difference between Nikon and Pentax AF.
Nikon was significantly better. Then again it was just a quick comparison and most of the time i dont need top notch af... or any af for that matter
03-05-2019, 01:08 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

If you don't find it useful, that's fine. Personally, I thought it was nice to read a positive comment about Pentax on PentaxForums, when I see so much negativity about the brand. Kudos to the OP on that basis.

I've no doubt Fuji is doing great things, but... you know... this is PentaxForums
03-05-2019, 03:30 AM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Most modern cameras focus pretty well. Pentax is no exception. Tracking auto focus is the one place where they probably lag a bit, but even there, it is overstated. If you want to have quick auto focus with Pentax you do need one of the faster focusing lenses -- a DFA zoom or lens with DC motor or PLM motor in it. Many of the older screw driven and SDM driven lenses won't be able to keep up.

Honestly, I shoot 98 percent of the time in AF-S and it does quite well for my purposes, but I'm not shooting wildlife or sports either.
03-05-2019, 04:05 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

All the camera and lenses listed in this threat are slow like hell compared to the Canon EOS R with the RF 24-105. Basically, with the EOS R (AFS) , it is not possible to realize how much time it takes to lock single focus, but the continuous tracking isn't that good. I've tried the XT2 and again it was faster than the K1, but I've tried the A7III the same day and it was slower to focus than the K1. So... two things: 1) what people say (fanboyism, reputation etc) and 2) what the gear does do, which leaves the door to a lot of arguing. In fact, for all still shots, Pentax is not the slowest, and anyway it doesn't matter much for stills. Now for AF tracking, Pentax isn't the best, but it can work, and only a few camera models make it with AF tracking such that it is reliably usable.
03-05-2019, 06:39 AM - 1 Like   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Modern camera, modern lens makes a hell of a difference.
@Sandy Hancock; Great examples. I think that you're quite correct -- modern gear performs better. Would you say these shots are typical of your experience with that camera/lens combo?

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DFA28-105 can even make flightless birds fly
Sure, it's an amazing piece of kit, but how does it perform against a penguin riding on a wobbly bicycle? Eh?

- Craig
03-05-2019, 06:49 AM - 2 Likes   #29
Pentaxian

I once tested my K-3 and Tamron 90 against D810 and 85 1.4 in my nearest camera store. Low light (inside the store focusing on images on afar wall. The Nikon did not impress. I couldn't tell the difference. When I have done my own tests and I read these anti-Pentax reports, my first response is, what's wrong with this test? And I always go with my own tests as opposed to someone else's, because my tests are done the way I shoot using my own personal shooting style. That someone who shoots differently gets different results makes no difference whatsoever.

Take these tests worth a grain of salt, unless you did them yourself.. otherwise prepare to be disappointed. ( And don't try to get a lens to focus at less than it's minimum focusing distance, that will make your test absolutely meaningless. Hard to believe I'm posting that.)

So I am interested in these kinds of comparison tests, but, camera, circumstances, lenses used, lighting etc. are all necessary information.

Last edited by normhead; 03-05-2019 at 06:56 AM.
03-05-2019, 09:20 AM - 1 Like   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you don't find it useful, that's fine. Personally, I thought it was nice to read a positive comment about Pentax on PentaxForums, when I see so much negativity about the brand. Kudos to the OP on that basis.

I've no doubt Fuji is doing great things, but... you know... this is PentaxForums
Well said, Mike. Some folks seem to hang around PF just to get an opportunity to get their shots at running Pentax gear down and nothing else.