Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 223 Likes Search this Thread
06-03-2019, 05:17 AM - 1 Like   #121
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MetalUndivided Quote
Uhh, no. His quote went something like "... I think... the mounts that aren't going to receive any new tech in the next 5 years are...Pentax SLR mount. Last time I looked they seem to have already dropped it." The part in italics is I'm fairly certain accurate word for word (currently at work and can't link the video for the precise quote).

So yeah, he did some research and somehow came to the conclusion that the K mount "isn't going to recieve any new tech in the next 5 years" and that Pentax has already dropped their SLR mount based on... ?????.

Also, if you watch his recent video on him selling lots of his unused gear, he has a couple of Pentax lenses (the 50mm with the plastic mount and something else) and he says something among the lines of "Pentax is done, sorry Pentax fans". I think his stance on Pentax is quite obvious.

EDIT

Right, I took a look at those videos during the lunch break.
Here's the first video I'm referring to, 25:40:
Video

"There are couple of mounts that I feel confident will not be receiving new tech in 5 years, and that's the Pentax SLR mount. Pentax already seems to have dropped it."

Subjective? Yes. Claims that Pentax has dropped the K mount? Clearly, yes.

Here's the second video I'm referring to, 8:46:

"We have a couple of Pentax lenses, but I now believe Pentax is done. Sorry Pentax fans."
Thank you so much for pointing out the minutes and seconds in his videos at which to find his pithy remarks about Pentax. Life's simply to short to sit through 28+ minutes of his drivel.

06-03-2019, 05:24 AM   #122
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I guess I understand a little better where you are coming from if you are still using a KS-1 with screw driven lenses. Pentax has improved quite a bit since the KS-1 and while it is good in good light, it doesn't really compare to current generation Pentax cameras when it comes to auto focus.Newer generation lenses -- those with DC motors, PLM, or ring motors -- will outperform earlier lenses in this respect as well.
I've just posted what I could from my (limited) experience. And yes, Ive searched the web for some tests and seems Pentax increased its focusing capabilities in less then ideal lighting situations.
My findings are pretty well explained right here on Pentaxforum reviews:
Pentax K-S1 Review - Autofocus | PentaxForums.com Reviews

In comparison K-S2 autofocus module seems greatly improved over K-S1:
Pentax K-S2 Review - Focusing | PentaxForums.com Reviews
06-03-2019, 05:37 AM - 1 Like   #123
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Uhh, no. His quote went something like "... I think... the mounts that aren't going to receive any new tech in the next 5 years are...Pentax SLR mount. Last time I looked they seem to have already dropped it." The part in italics is I'm fairly certain accurate word for word (currently at work and can't link the video for the precise quote).

So yeah, he did some research and somehow came to the conclusion that the K mount "isn't going to recieve any new tech in the next 5 years" and that Pentax has already dropped their SLR mount based on... ?????.

Also, if you watch his recent video on him selling lots of his unused gear, he has a couple of Pentax lenses (the 50mm with the plastic mount and something else) and he says something among the lines of "Pentax is done, sorry Pentax fans". I think his stance on Pentax is quite obvious.

EDIT

Video

"There are couple of mounts that I feel confident will not be receiving new tech in 5 years, and that's the Pentax SLR mount. Pentax already seems to have dropped it."

"We have a couple of Pentax lenses, but I now believe Pentax is done. Sorry Pentax fans."
Clearly Pentax have a lens road map and in the last year released the DA *11-18 and DFA *50 for the K mount.

That said, it is a bit like when Thom Hogan would speculate on Pentax's future when his specialty was all things Nikon. Very small information has never stopped people from writing things and saying things, but clearly they aren't doing it from a place of knowledge.
06-03-2019, 05:48 AM   #124

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
Clearly Pentax have a lens road map and in the last year released the DA *11-18 and DFA *50 for the K mount.
Moreover, people have been talking about Pentax shutting down for the last decade or so and so far there hasn't been a single year without Ricoh/Pentax releasing at least 1 new lens and at least 1 new body.

06-03-2019, 06:03 AM - 2 Likes   #125
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
There are couple of mounts that I feel confident will not be receiving new tech in 5 years, and that's the Pentax SLR mount. Pentax already seems to have dropped it."
Speaks volumes to the level of Tony's expertise. But what it speaks more to, is the level "Certainty" it takes for him to put something out there in public. For many people out there they would have to have good sources before they said something like that. Tony believes he can comment on topics about which he knows no more than the rest of us, and that his opinion should be in videos influencing the public.

He's simply not a credible resource. Were he on the forum he would be one of the least credible posters.

To me his biggest shortcoming is his inability to differentiate between fact and convenient (to his worldview) fictions.
06-03-2019, 06:06 AM   #126

Not really related, but I watched their Wanderlust series of videos over the weekend and was surprised to see them using a Pentax K1 24-70 / 70-200. Though they didn't comment on them I don't think.
06-03-2019, 06:15 AM   #127
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by woodworm Quote
Not really related, but I watched their Wanderlust series of videos over the weekend and was surprised to see them using a Pentax K1 24-70 / 70-200. Though they didn't comment on them I don't think.
HIs attitude towards Pentax changed quite bit when the K-1 came out.

06-03-2019, 06:22 AM - 1 Like   #128

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Speaks volumes to the level of Tony's expertise. But what it speaks more to, is the level "Certainty" it takes for him to put something out there in public. For many people out there they would have to have good sources before they said something like that. Tony believes he can comment on topics about which he knows no more than the rest of us, and that his opinion should be in videos influencing the public.

He's simply not a credible resource. Were he on the forum he would be one of the least credible posters.

To me his biggest shortcoming is his inability to differentiate between fact and convenient (to his worldview) fictions.
True. I've noticed in at least one of Northrups recent videos that he didn't even know the name of the Pentax mount (K-mount), no prepared notes to read from and yet you can see him looking at notes form time to time in the video for every other subject. He struggled for several seconds to remember or look for the Pentax mount name/designation and still didn't get it and jumped immediately to condemning Pentax in order to cover his ineptitude.
He does the same for Sigma Foveon cameras.

As for Northrups view of the K-1 he's bounced back and forth so many times that not even he knows where he's going. My main problem with so called sources like him is when people quote him and then ask me about it and i have to waste my time having to research it when i know it's not true. For a long time now i just ask where they got their info and if it's a social media celeb i just tell them to stop bothering me.

Northrup is more about social media content creation and profit rather than photography. Also his so called skills about being a Microsoft windows software tech is insulting.

Last edited by solitudebound; 06-03-2019 at 06:39 AM.
06-03-2019, 06:36 AM - 2 Likes   #129
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by solitudebound Quote
True. I've noticed in at least one of Northrups recent videos that he didn't even know the name of the Pentax mount (K-mount), no prepared notes to read from and yet you can see him looking at notes form time to time in the video for every other subject. He struggled for several seconds to remember or look for the Pentax mount name/designation and still didn't get it and jumped immediately to condemning Pentax in order to cover his ineptitude.
He does the same for Sigma Foveon cameras.

As for Northrups view of the K-1 he's bounced back and forth so many times that not even he knows where he's going.

Northrup is more about social media content creation and profit rather than photography. Also his so called skills about being a Microsoft windows software tech is insulting.
He's just another egotistical self centred person putting his life journey out there for all to see.
06-03-2019, 02:48 PM   #130
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

EDIT

Video

You're interpretation of what he's saying is not what my interpretation is.
What I take from what is being said is this:
Pentax seems to have dropped the mount, solely based on lack of new tech and lack of really evolving the mount. There have been small incremental changes but the focus due to backward compatibility is the screw mount which is very old.
Based on that, yes I see Tony's point. However, he said "Seems" that they've dropped it. Not that they have 100% verified dropped it.
His statement that he believes Pentax is done is most likely just due to the fact that there has been zero announcements or hints or anything regarding a new body, or upgrade of bodies, or even firmware that enables new features for existing bodies. On the surface, yes it would seem that Pentax is done. No new mount tech, no new body, no new upgrades, no new firmware.
Again, the interpretation is up to the viewer/reader. I look at the whole picture (no pun intended) and read between the lines before jumping to a conclusion of interpreting what was said.
I'm an odd ball though. so, I guess I just look at things in a weird way lol.
06-03-2019, 04:30 PM   #131
Forum Member

Compared to other brands, Pentax is doing almost nothing in the dslr space and there's no marketing = dead.
I think Pentax will remain for a long time and only release new bodies every ~5 years or whenever they see the need.
Let's not forget the waterproof line of cameras, the 360 cameras and the GR line. There's actually plenty going on, just not that much in the dslr space.

And as far as AF goes, for me, it has been quite inconsistent with all my gear(K3, tam 17-50, da*50-135) and rented ( K1 + 50/1.8, DFA15-30, DA*16-50).
I really want a fast body/lens combo that focuses reliably and Pentax doesn't offer atm anything, so for me Pentax is dead too. And it's a shame. I love the ergonomics and design of both the K1 and K3.
06-03-2019, 04:41 PM - 1 Like   #132
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
Compared to other brands, Pentax is doing almost nothing in the dslr space and there's no marketing = dead.
I really want a fast body/lens combo that focuses reliably and Pentax doesn't offer atm anything, so for me Pentax is dead too. And it's a shame. I love the ergonomics and design of both the K1 and K3.
If you've got to the point where that's what you truly feel - that "Pentax is dead" (for you, at least) - then, seriously, you should switch to an alternative brand and supporting user forums that offer what you want right now and for the foreseeable future.

You say "Pentax is dead", on a forum website dedicated to the brand. Respectfully, I wonder what value you expect to add with that claim, and what you expect the responses to be

Last edited by BigMackCam; 06-03-2019 at 05:06 PM.
06-03-2019, 05:38 PM - 2 Likes   #133
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobie Quote
On the surface, yes it would seem that Pentax is done. No new mount tech, no new body, no new upgrades, no new firmware.
Do we need new mount tech?

New body appears to be under development, according to Ricoh execs.

Upgrades?

Firmware was last updated for recent cameras in February 2019. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
06-03-2019, 06:17 PM - 1 Like   #134
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Trickortreat Quote
I dont, never claimed i did. Thats why i specifically wrote what camera and lens combos i've used and under what conditions.
Since you haven't used a KP at all, let alone with a modern lens {such as the 18-135 and 55-300 PLM} then your statements have nothing to do with what Pentax is actually selling today, so why do you keep discussing here??? History gets boring to many at some point.
06-03-2019, 06:24 PM - 2 Likes   #135
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by labidas Quote
I think Pentax will remain for a long time and only release new bodies every ~5 years or whenever they see the need.
Let's not forget the waterproof line of cameras, the 360 cameras and the GR line. There's actually plenty going on, just not that much in the dslr space.

And as far as AF goes, for me, it has been quite inconsistent with all my gear(K3, tam 17-50, da*50-135) and rented ( K1 + 50/1.8, DFA15-30, DA*16-50).
I purchased a KP and 55-300 PLM lens in November. The high ISO performance is superb, and the practical limit to AF has been my ability to get the subject in the viewfinder. My experience is that Pentax is very much alive.

Last edited by reh321; 06-03-2019 at 06:47 PM.