Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2019, 06:24 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: mid nth coast,nsw
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 4,056
So what's the XT2 top value price?

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 12:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I have noticed your tendency to post links to reviews that agree with your preconceived notions about camera gear.
What would you know about my "preconceived notions"of anything?

---------- Post added 03-07-19 at 12:38 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
The best value for money is the XT2 because its AF is vastly improved over the XT1, and the XT3 doesn't bring any significant benefit over the XT2
You just dont know.

03-06-2019, 07:10 AM - 1 Like   #17
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New York
Posts: 4,261
"Pentax AF is bad" comes partially from the K-5 and earlier cameras. The K-3 was a substantial improvement in accuracy and speed.
03-06-2019, 07:26 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tper75296's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
"Pentax AF is bad" comes partially from the K-5 and earlier cameras. The K-3 was a substantial improvement in accuracy and speed.
I can see that with the k-5. I think the k-5ii/iis are great improvements. And maybe the K3 would be. But I am not about to plunk down substantially for a camera now discontinued for a substantial plague of issues with their mirror and one the manufacturer won't stand behind to the point they discontinue the line. Maybe the mirror flapping issue is no big deal to some. But to me, behind the focus system, the shutter and its mirror are the heart of the system. Next the sensor, which in the K3 line is stunning. But if other parts of the system are so unreliable ... well I feel for those who have already purchased and have to deal with it. I will stay with the K-5ii for awhile yet, K-3III and vast improvements notwithstanding.
03-06-2019, 07:42 AM - 2 Likes   #19
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,440
QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
I can see that with the k-5. I think the k-5ii/iis are great improvements. And maybe the K3 would be. But I am not about to plunk down substantially for a camera now discontinued for a substantial plague of issues with their mirror and one the manufacturer won't stand behind to the point they discontinue the line. Maybe the mirror flapping issue is no big deal to some. But to me, behind the focus system, the shutter and its mirror are the heart of the system. Next the sensor, which in the K3 line is stunning. But if other parts of the system are so unreliable ... well I feel for those who have already purchased and have to deal with it. I will stay with the K-5ii for awhile yet, K-3III and vast improvements notwithstanding.
The K-30 and K-50 have had significant problems with the aperture block mechanism, and Ricoh should have done a lot more to support customers. There's no excuse.

But... the K-3 and K-3II have shown themselves to be supremely reliable. The mirror flop issue only occurred in very few cases, and was successfully dealt with in firmware updates. Neither model has been plagued by anything. They're rock solid

03-06-2019, 08:17 AM   #20
Pentaxian
tvdtvdtvd's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 1,173
QuoteOriginally posted by surfar Quote
So this 2017 analysis...is relevant now?..in 2019???
I'd say it is. Six month obsolescence is sooooo, 2005. Heck, even 3 year obsolescence is so 2014.
I think we're pushing 5+ years at this point.
03-06-2019, 08:18 AM - 2 Likes   #21
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,683
QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
But I am not about to plunk down substantially for a camera now discontinued for a substantial plague of issues with their mirror and one the manufacturer won't stand behind to the point they discontinue the line. Maybe the mirror flapping issue is no big deal to some. But to me, behind the focus system, the shutter and its mirror are the heart of the system.
@tper75296, although we should keep this thread on topic (Pentax continuous autofocus), I think it's worthwhile to address your comment.

It's surprising to hear of the "substantial plague of issues" concerning the K-3 mirror. You may have developed an overestimation of the extent of the K-3 mirror issue. From what has been reported (or not reported) here at Pentax Forums, the K-3 has proven to be a robust camera in general. Of course, your K-5 II is also good, and I'd bet that it serves you well.

- Craig
03-06-2019, 08:23 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian
Site Supporter
normhead's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Near Algonquin Park
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 32,648
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
It's surprising to hear of the "substantial plague of issues" concerning the K-3 mirror.
As one who pre-ordered my K-3 6 years ago, this is the first I've heard of it. I would hope this kind of negative nonsense would be deleted until substantiated. People are presenting rumours as fact.
03-06-2019, 08:34 AM   #23
Pentaxian
c.a.m's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Ottawa, Canada
Posts: 1,683
Several related comments may be found here: 2017 Paper: Autofocus Performance - what can we expect from today's cameras? - PentaxForums.com

I think it's important to continuously renew these positive discussions on Pentax autofocus. The AF capability is often maligned without justification. Showing examples and pointing to credible test results should help current users to better use the AF capability while revealing to potential users that Pentax AF is not woeful.

03-06-2019, 09:50 AM   #24
pxt
Senior Member




Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 287
QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
The K-3 was a substantial improvement in accuracy and speed
With duo K3 II and Sigma 18-50 AF only troubles I had with few mounth old child indoor. It was not dark room, but with curtains a lot of times with 2.8 I have to use ISO 1600 and up to 3200. I have missing shot of kids, but it was before I start using on slower screwdriver 77 len AF back button focusing. Technique is one of the issue. From other hand I see how easy photograph get photos group of people with Canon 6D mark II in church where light condition was similar demending as my in room. Outside with this Sigma AF was not issue. Only problem I have with back/front focusing on this lens.

I really do not know how commented lack in AF on Pentax. On K1 II in extreme light condition with 77 I have hunting (extreme = f 1.7, iso 256000 from auto body choose). From other hand with prefocusing on 100 WR new macro I can get precise infocus in part of the second. It is amazing how K3 II and K1 II can be responsive in good light condition. My little experience is that in low light conditions AF is changing. In real life on day light with dynamic shots it maybe 1 on 10 or 1 on 20 missing shot if AF was prepared with prefocusing. In low light without AF button using only auto and combo shutter button with AF together it is missing a lot of more photos. Pentax is not for switch on body and takes dynamic shots in part of the second unfortunetelly. With preperation distance is narrowed.

I do not shot with a lot lens, so after kit, WR 100 (new type), 77 limited and mentioned Sigma is a lot limited impression.

Eye focus and similar stuff are fancy and interesting but are for burts and trash mode of shooting. With good eyes (not for me, because as asthigmathism I have sometimes problems with MF) at the same you can use MF and take 20-30 shots. For me will be very impressive when you can will be switch on body and take sharp photo below second in low light with fast prime in edge of frame.
03-06-2019, 10:05 AM   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tper75296's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The K-30 and K-50 have had significant problems with the aperture block mechanism, and Ricoh should have done a lot more to support customers. There's no excuse.

But... the K-3 and K-3II have shown themselves to be supremely reliable. The mirror flop issue only occurred in very few cases, and was successfully dealt with in firmware updates. Neither model has been plagued by anything. They're rock solid
Well, thanks for the update. But that appears to be just one man's opinion. One in a confusing array of discussion on this Forum around this issue has left me these impressions about the K-3 line:
  • That the "few" were actually a large number and the issue pervasive.
  • That the K-3ii was now developing the same issues as the K-3.
  • That the fixing was being farmed out to a third party (another tale there), unsatisfactorily, who seems to have suffered tragic consequences, and could no longer continue.
  • That any fix would be in the hundreds of dollars as Ricoh would not fix the issue unless still under "new warranty".
  • That the major number of said issues, as Ricoh well knew, occurred well after such a warranty had expired.
  • That said "fixed now by firmware" did little more than make the camera "three-finger-salute" to allow one not to have to switch off, remove the battery to stop the mirror from thrashing itself to death like a 1990's PC hard drive.

If there was anything else that countered all that I could not find it. Although, even retired I did not have the time to make a comprehensive, detailed and methodical search. I just did my best to make sense of it and on that basis express my opinion that a dropped line with all these issues was not worth it.


Now, if there was an official announcement that crowned the K-3 line "fixed" and issues resolved, I missed it. I didn't see it in the "official news section" or other areas that I could find. Please point it out for me. Because I was about to buy a K-3 from a Forum member and I decided against it. The item is now sold. And, I gave serious thought of jumping products into another product line with a complete FF rig, for the price of K-3 body. But of course, now one cannot buy a new K-3.


Again, thx.
03-06-2019, 10:42 AM - 4 Likes   #26
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
BigMackCam's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North-East of England
Posts: 12,440
QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
Well, thanks for the update. But that appears to be just one man's opinion.
Maybe so, but I believe it's a qualified opinion.

I own a K-5, K-3 and K-3II. All three cameras have been equally reliable. My K-5 and K-3 have seen extensive use - I've been shooting them for years. My K-3II is less heavily used, but has presented no problems thus far.

Furthermore, I've been a member here since 2010, and an especially active one these last five years. For three years now, I've been a moderator too - so I tend to see most new discussion threads. In all this time, I've seen nothing out of the ordinary regarding specific problems or reliability issues with the K-3 and K-3II, with the exception of two well-known cases:

- mirror flop on a small proportion of K-3 bodies, mostly resolved through firmware which has proven reliable
- an early batch of K-3II bodies recalled officially by Pentax because some would not turn off without having the battery removed

You've developed a view that the K-3 / K-3II line is fundamentally flawed, but I respectfully suggest that's a total misconception. I'm not sure what you've read, from where and from whom, but - with respect - you've drawn an inaccurate conclusion. Consider the large number of active members we have on these forums, and the very small number of posts about problems with either camera. Sure, people occasionally got a defective unit, or one that failed in some way. But that happens with every brand.

The K-30 and K-50 aperture block problem is a different matter entirely, and here there certainly has been a proven problem related to a component in the aperture control mechanism. Ricoh's response to that has, in my view, been entirely lacking, and they certainly lost some of my confidence as a result. But on the K-5 series, K3 and K-3II, they have nothing but my complete respect.

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic, but I felt the above needed addressing
03-06-2019, 12:10 PM - 1 Like   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tper75296's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Maybe so, but I believe it's a qualified opinion.

I own a K-5, K-3 and K-3II. All three cameras have been equally reliable. My K-5 and K-3 have seen extensive use - I've been shooting them for years. My K-3II is less heavily used, but has presented no problems thus far.

Furthermore, I've been a member here since 2010, and an especially active one these last five years. For three years now, I've been a moderator too - so I tend to see most new discussion threads. In all this time, I've seen nothing out of the ordinary regarding specific problems or reliability issues with the K-3 and K-3II, with the exception of two well-known cases:

- mirror flop on a small proportion of K-3 bodies, mostly resolved through firmware which has proven reliable
- an early batch of K-3II bodies recalled officially by Pentax because some would not turn off without having the battery removed

You've developed a view that the K-3 / K-3II line is fundamentally flawed, but I respectfully suggest that's a total misconception. I'm not sure what you've read, from where and from whom, but - with respect - you've drawn an inaccurate conclusion. Consider the large number of active members we have on these forums, and the very small number of posts about problems with either camera. Sure, people occasionally got a defective unit, or one that failed in some way. But that happens with every brand.

The K-30 and K-50 aperture block problem is a different matter entirely, and here there certainly has been a proven problem related to a component in the aperture control mechanism. Ricoh's response to that has, in my view, been entirely lacking, and they certainly lost some of my confidence as a result. But on the K-5 series, K3 and K-3II, they have nothing but my complete respect.

Apologies to the OP for going off-topic, but I felt the above needed addressing
will take this up with you offline ...
03-06-2019, 07:28 PM - 2 Likes   #28
Pentaxian
Larrymc's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 1,438
QuoteOriginally posted by tper75296 Quote
will take this up with you offline ...
I'll second Mikes opinion of the K-3/K-3II. My K-3 has been bullet proof since I bought mine in early 2014, I shoot daily with it, its my only camera right now I gave my daughter my K-50. I shoot with a variety of lens an have never had any sort of issue with it except for the normal stuff like trash on the mirror or sensor or a bit of dust on the AF sensor and those are normal with any ILC. I have seen some of the posts you are referring to and in my opinion the quantity of complaints are far out weighed by the superb service this work horse has given most Pentax shooters.
03-06-2019, 11:29 PM   #29
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,290
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
In this controlled German study, not bad, actually, a dagger to enemies of the brand without proof.

Full paper with methodology and results at: https://www.image-engineering.de/content/library/conference_papers/2017_03/a...erformance.pdf

Note the performance of the much hyped Canon 7D MkII dual pixel and Fuji XT1 systems (wasn't Fuji calling it at launch time the fastest in the world or some such?).

Example test below they also do the same Z-axis test in low light (300lx).
Not the most recent cameras and no highend model.
03-07-2019, 01:03 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
tper75296's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Florida
Posts: 75
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
I'll second Mikes opinion of the K-3/K-3II. My K-3 has been bullet proof since I bought mine in early 2014, I shoot daily with it, its my only camera right now I gave my daughter my K-50. I shoot with a variety of lens an have never had any sort of issue with it except for the normal stuff like trash on the mirror or sensor or a bit of dust on the AF sensor and those are normal with any ILC. I have seen some of the posts you are referring to and in my opinion the quantity of complaints are far out weighed by the superb service this work horse has given most Pentax shooters.
thanks.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
af, aperture, article, camera, d7200, dog, dslr, f4, f8, focus, frame, fuji, hit, lens, matter, movements, pentax, pentax af-c, photography, post, rate, shutter, tc, value, yard
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pentax lenses on other brands bodies Kangaxx Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 02-27-2019 11:37 PM
Do Pentax Camera Bodies Hold Their Value Better Than Other Brands? Fenwoodian Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 09-23-2018 05:42 PM
NiSi V5 Pro compare Breakthrough compare... gatorguy Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 01-31-2018 12:19 PM
How does the Q compare to my other cameras hnikesch Pentax Q 4 11-11-2012 03:46 PM
How does the 5D Mk II AF compare to the K-7 heliphoto Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 11-05-2009 05:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:07 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top