Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2019, 12:45 AM   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
And can you imagine trying to take photographs of dancers on stage with a 10 year old 50-135 and an oh so yesterday K3II?
Thanks for sharing some real experience and an excellent photo.

03-09-2019, 01:22 AM   #47
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Judging by your EXIF, someone did.
Lovely image Brooke.
03-09-2019, 08:19 AM   #48

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
He was really cashed up, Sutherland … under the camo neoprene I bet it was the latest and greatest.

I was prepared to be blown away by the combo's AF performance.

Unrealistic expectations on my part?

Perhaps.

But it was just a camera and lens, despite the pricetags.
True. It's hard to be impressed by 12K when it's proven you can achieve similar results for far less. I was lucky enough to pick up Mint AFS 500mm f/4 during a Black Friday Sale for around $4,500. It was still a large chunk of change and I didn't feel 'right' with the purchase until I sold off a few lenses and bodies.

I can see myself eventually letting go of the 500mm as I find myself enjoying the freedom and flexibility that a 300mm f/4 provides over the 500mm reach and weight (close to 12 pounds with body/grip). I've also found that wildlife is FAR less intimidated by the smaller 300mm lens.
03-09-2019, 08:31 AM - 2 Likes   #49
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sutherland Quote
True. It's hard to be impressed by 12K when it's proven you can achieve similar results for far less. I was lucky enough to pick up Mint AFS 500mm f/4 during a Black Friday Sale for around $4,500. It was still a large chunk of change and I didn't feel 'right' with the purchase until I sold off a few lenses and bodies.

I can see myself eventually letting go of the 500mm as I find myself enjoying the freedom and flexibility that a 300mm f/4 provides over the 500mm reach and weight (close to 12 pounds with body/grip). I've also found that wildlife is FAR less intimidated by the smaller 300mm lens.
The crows I see occasionally at my feeders leave as soon as I point the 300 2.8 out the window. I have no doubt a 300 ƒ4 with the 1.4 on it would be getting me some images. I think animals interpret the glass front element as an eye, and to some extent determine danger levels by how big the eye is. Many of the smaller birds don't seem to use the same criteria. That's probably a case by case type of observation.

Canada Jays (also from family Corvidae) don't care how big the lens is.

03-09-2019, 08:50 AM   #50

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
The crows I see occasionally at my feeders leave as soon as I point the 300 2.8 out the window. I have no doubt a 300 ƒ4 with the 1.4 on it would be getting me some images. I think animals interpret the glass front element as an eye, and to some extent determine danger levels by how big the eye is. Many of the smaller birds don't seem to use the same criteria. That's probably a case by case type of observation.

Canada Jays (also from family Corvidae) don't care how big the lens is.
We have Stellar Jays and Scrub Jays here in the Pacific Northwest. The Stellars are a tad more skiddish, but the Scrub Jays are quite brazen. Amazing birds. They have fooled me a time or two in their mimic of a Red Shoulder Hawk call.
03-09-2019, 09:09 AM - 2 Likes   #51
Pentaxian

We have Stellar Jays and Scrub Jays here in the Pacific Northwest. The Stellars are a tad more skiddish, but the Scrub Jays are quite brazen. Amazing birds. They have fooled me a time or two in their mimic of a Red Shoulder Hawk call.
I have one Blue Jay who mimics a hawk call. All the other birds scatter, he dives in and takes his pick of what food is available. Every bird behaviour has a purpose.

Last edited by normhead; 03-09-2019 at 09:21 AM.
03-09-2019, 10:54 AM   #52
Pentaxian

Indeed. I have searched a few times for red tail hawks and found Stellar Jays.

We have had a few Varied Thrushes show up in the last week, and the Stellar Jays were trying to imitate their call.

The Pentax AF was useless that day. It couldn't find any of them in the bushes and focus. I couldn't see them. You would think they would have sound directional focus by now.

03-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #53

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
And can you imagine trying to take photographs of dancers on stage with a 10 year old 50-135 and an oh so yesterday K3II?
The photo speaks more loudly than words. Too often people get stuck in the "my dog's bigger than yours" mentality. AF is not just about technology, it's a "tool" that should be used, just like a wood carver's chisel. I'm new to Pentax digital, having been in the Olympus and Nikon camp for years, I'm also "old school" by today's standards. I starting using my first camera in 1958 (a kodak ). I moved through Miranda, Minolta, Pentax, Nikon and Olympus during the film days. Now it's digital and I went through Olympus (E-3) and moved to Nikon (D300, D7000 and D7100). Now I've taken a step "backward" (24 MP to 16 MP) via the purchase of a Pentax K-5 (used, 12k shutter). Firmware update improved the AF. What I've learned from the different digitals is that the lens makes a very big difference in the AF acquisition. Besides the lens, shooting techniques or "style" also makes a big difference. Having "panned" with a non-AF film camera to capture moving objects or people, besides using shutter speed, f stop and iso, I've learned that it is important how the camera "feels" in one's hands. Pentax AF works, so do other brands. Why the debate? I always thought that photography is simply a medium, another form of creative expression.

---------- Post added 03-09-19 at 12:34 PM ----------

Last edited by ErikRuss; 03-09-2019 at 12:41 PM.
03-13-2019, 08:44 PM - 3 Likes   #54
Veteran Member

From someone who has come to Pentax from Nikon in the last two years and is appalled by what he's read on the Internet:

"There seems to be a lot of hype over how bad the autofocus is on the Pentax and I would like to share with what I have … some of these people … don't have a portfolio … don't even know how to use the camera. …. they're not diving into the menus to adjust the autofocus … "

See a German lab's testing of tracking in the difficult Z direction scientifically compared to other brands here: How does Pentax AF-C compare to other brands? - PentaxForums.com

Pentax K1 Autofocus Samples - Can it focus? - YouTube
All of these photos were taken with pentax DSLRs. Andrew Richardson | Flickr Some advice with a K-3..... don't use white autofocus boxes. Use red boxes only in the autofocus mode.

The K-3 next to the Nikon D4 or D5 and I'm blown away if the guy behind it is good.

One of my flickr buddies had this to say and I quote, "I have seen people with the best equipment money can buy and they couldn't photograph a stuffed bird in a nature center and on the other hand I have seen people with entry level equipment and photograph circles around other people that have better equipment. As the saying goes, it's the Indian not the arrow."
03-13-2019, 09:05 PM   #55
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
All of these photos were taken with pentax DSLRs. Andrew Richardson | Flickr Some advice with a K-3..... don't use white autofocus boxes. Use red boxes only in the autofocus mode.
Great pics, Drew … terrific stalking/positioning, background choices, stylish PP ... they've got the lot!
03-14-2019, 07:51 AM   #56
Veteran Member

Great pics, Drew … terrific stalking/positioning, background choices, stylish PP ... they've got the lot!
Thanks
03-14-2019, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #57
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by traderdrew Quote
Congratulations! Very nice images.
03-14-2019, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #58

Photos: Gallery
I shoot live events at drag bars (low light, fast moving subjects) and for the most part, my K1 keeps up just fine. That being said, I am using the 70-200 DA* and the DA* 50 1.4, both of which use the newer style AF motors. I also have my hold setting for the AF turned to off to get a quicker lock on the subject. I have about a 60% hit rate. But when shooting live performance, tack sharp images are great but a slightly out of focus image is also usable most of the time.
03-14-2019, 04:35 PM   #59
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boyette Quote
I shoot live events at drag bars (low light, fast moving subjects) and for the most part, my K1 keeps up just fine. That being said, I am using the 70-200 DA* and the DA* 50 1.4, both of which use the newer style AF motors. I also have my hold setting for the AF turned to off to get a quicker lock on the subject. I have about a 60% hit rate. But when shooting live performance, tack sharp images are great but a slightly out of focus image is also usable most of the time.
Good combo you've got there, Boyette!

I know shooting situations are bound to be different, but have a look at this set of data about hit rates:

(Un)popular Opinion: Pentax AF Doesn't Suck - Page 4 - PentaxForums.com
03-15-2019, 05:39 PM - 2 Likes   #60
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some of you have probably heard this before...but I will repeat it anyway. Based on real life, in the field experience. Subject Motox...that is motorbikes on dirt tracks/circuits, lots of jumps, speed, changes of direction, dust, mud, good light and bad light.
Cameras and lens combos used over a 2 year period:
K5.2 & Sigma 70-200 f2.8 and DA* 200mm. Later replaced by Pentax K3 with same lenses.
Nikon D800 & tamron 70-200 f2.8.

Differences? Yes .... the K3 is faster than the K5.2. The Sigma 70-200 is faster than the DA* 200 (in auto focus terms)....
and I will phrase the Nikon combo comparison this way:
The Nikon D800 & Tamron 70-200 combo is equal to the K3 & Sigma 70-200 in terms of "speed" but the Pentax / Sig combo is more accurate, when it locks on it is in focus, whereas with the Nikon that was not always necessarily so.

Image qualty from all combos was marketable and sold, people often bought images shot with both combos and no one came back saying one image was better than the other, and I would defy anyone to pick the difference....I certainly can not and would have to check exif to ascertain which was which.

My K1.2 and the Sigma 70-200 is a great combo, but I have not put it to the test of Motox, as I no longer do that....but have shot some surfing and am very happy with what it does.
I no longer have the Nikon.
Cheers.