Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-22-2019, 06:44 AM   #61
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
Iím here because this is a discussion forum for Pentax users to discuss Pentax cameras. Why are you here
Thanks for clearing that up. I hadn't seen you discuss any Pentax camera on this forum, ever. When you introduced yourself back in 2016 (and only 15 posts separate you from that introduction) you claimed hands-on experience with a K-1000, K100D, K10D, K-7 and K-5. I've tried to look up any of your posts "discussing" any of those cameras and came up empty-handed. I've also not noted any image posts, editing contributions/experience or meaningful lens tests/reports.

Yet you now choose to suddenly "contribute" a discussion about the K-70, basically spreading quite a bit of FUD. I'm here to do exactly what you claim you are doing, only I've got some 1700+ posts to back that statement up.

So my question remains: why are you here?

03-22-2019, 07:24 AM - 6 Likes   #62
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
I’m here because this is a discussion forum for Pentax users to discuss Pentax cameras. Why are you here?
It's actually more of a help forum, and image sharing forum for Pentax enthusiasts.
It's a forum to inspire people who shoot Pentax to get out and shoot, and help them when their results don't meet their expectations. And to give them encouragement when they do something good.

One of my favourite quotes, "Your first 10,000 images are you worst."
There should be a corollary about advice offered by those who are still taking their worst images.

Highlighting negative things about Pentax gear, is not really the purpose, especially without any context. 10 or 15 years from now all the DSLRs operating today will probably be inoperable, especially for those of us who put 20,000-25,000 clicks per year on our shutters. They are all going to fail. (My Spotmatic failed, my SV failed. it's only a matter of when. Reports of the demise of individual cameras are not really of concern. A DSLR has more moving parts than an automobile. And once a camera is out of the box, we don't know what it's been through. We have no way to evaluate the claims of those who say they own a camera that "should" still be working.

But with this particular issue, the aperture block issue, no one has ever known how that issue affected overall reliability. We have never seen stats showing that because of the aperture block failures. Pentax had a lower reliability rating than anyone else. Others may have other issues, but in the end the outcomes are about the same. So maybe a Canon Rebel has some other issue, like the reliability of the main processes board as noted above. But in the end, that kind of issue is only relevant in the context of overall reliability, for which most don't seem to have clue. It's sad seeing someone with a failed camera, but if the failure rates meets industry standards it's not really an issue. In fact, the aperture block issue is so easy to repair, I'd suggest it's actually a plus. Way easier than a circuit board or processor problem.

So even the aperture block issue can be seen either positively or negatively. Many of us really don't appreciate viewpoints that don't reflect that. Some guy comes on with the negatives, someone points out it's not as simple as just dwelling on the negative. They get called a fanboy, or a blind Pentax loyalist. It's happened way too often. People who just had a camera fail are angry people. People are leery of participating in discussions with angry people. You want to say something, but is it worth being dismissed as a Pentax Pollyanna?

People surfing the internet looking for reports of Aperture block failures of K-70s and finding 2, should be a cause of relief, not concern. There have to almost certainly be 10s of thousands sold, having two reported failures is awesome. That's not a meaningful issue, unless you own one of the two. Certainly not something that should be influencing people's purchasing decisions.

Buying a K-70, the odds against a failure of any kind are pretty good. But say for example 3% of K-70s are going to have some kind of issue. And the same percentage of Canon, Nikon and Sony cameras are going to have some issue within the first few years. Does it matter, if the Pentax issue is the aperture block and other systems fail another way.. they all have certain percentage of failures.

For those tracking issues like this, I'd say, keep in mind industry failure rates for similar models from other manufacturers and let us know how Pentax stacks up against them. That might be interesting information. Tracking individual failures without the context of industry failure rates is pretty pointless.

And of course, there's my advice for new buyers, if you can't afford an expensive repair, buy the extended warranty. My *ist, which I paid close to $2,000 for had a $179 warranty available. It ended up saving me a $700 repair bill when the main circuit board failed. $2000 was just too much for me to comfortably just spend out of pocket if it came to that.

My Studio instructor once asked what was the difference between really expensive cameras and cheap ones, quipped "The expensive ones cost a lot more to repair." Folks might want to keep that in mind when making purchasing decisions. At some point you are gong to have a repair or replace type decision. Buying product means you have to be ready for that, regardless of when in the expected life of the product it happens, and whether it's a product failure, or as is more often the case in my experience a drop or fall. My Tess lost her first K-x when a mysterious wind came out of nowhere and blew her tripod over with the camera attached. It was 6 months old. That was 8 years ago. The replacement K-x (bought second hand) is still being used by a family member. You just never know. Aperture block failure should probably be the least of your worries.

Last edited by normhead; 03-22-2019 at 07:04 PM.
05-29-2019, 04:29 AM   #63
Pentaxian

I'm having the very same ponderings as the OP. Update the K5? If so, to what?

I've been mainly shooting mirrorless (MFT) for the last few years but keep getting drawn back to the sheer IQ and dynamic range of the K5 sensor. What it doesn't have at a practical level is wifi - which I find so handy - and I wouldn't mind a bit more resolution.

I always liked the rendering of the K3, it reminded me a bit of the old K10D but iirc it never had wifi? Which leaves the k70/KP.

I should probably just keep the 5 and one day jump to a K1.

Last edited by saladin; 05-29-2019 at 04:35 AM.
05-29-2019, 04:58 AM - 1 Like   #64
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

easy way to compare:

Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com

K 3/ 3 II has tethering only via O-FC1 FLU

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-flucard-o-fc1-review/flucard-setup-guide.html

K 70/ K P has built in wireless

05-29-2019, 02:22 PM   #65
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
easy way to compare:Pentax K-70 vs. Pentax KP vs. Pentax K-3 II vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax Camera Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Good one, Allen. These comparators answer many of the questions asked in a "which camera should I buy?" thread. They should be the first port of call.

The user experiences like those shared here are the next port of call. The specs don't tell you how the camera feels in the hand, or what the battery life is like in practice, or how the metering or AF works in the real world.

Then comes the hard part: working out what matters to you as the prospective user.

Here's my perspective, having a K-S2 (similar in a number of ways to the K-70), K-3 and KP, and having previously had two K-30s (similar ergonomics to the K-70, I suspect):
- The better metering and AF in the K-3 and KP are a big improvement over the K-S2/K-70.
- I much prefer the ergonomics of the K-3 and the K-30 before it to that of the K-S2 or KP (even with the largest hand grip).
- The K-3 balances beautifully with bigger lenses. The K-S2 or KP, on the other hand, balance well with a Limited mounted. But neither is a deal-breaker. Even my biggest lens (Sigma 400 f5.6) is usable with the KP (without battery grip).
- I've never used a battery grip. They are way too expensive for me (the one for the KP is one-third the price I paid for the camera). I'd rather spend the money on a lens.
- The robust construction of the K-3 promises a longer life. The KP is not quite the same but a step up from the K-30/K-S2. But I probably won't keep any of them more than 5-7 years anyway.
- Three control wheels (KP) are good, but I do find the layout on the KP rather cluttered.
- Pixel shift is a great feature, especially the version on the KP.
- Overall image quality with the KP is a sufficient improvement over the K-3 to make it worth putting up with the ergonomics.
- An articulating screen (the K-S2 is similar to the K-70) is a big plus. Better than the tilt screen of the KP for me. The flippy screen can be used in portrait mode or to view from the front.
- The Dli90 is better, but the small battery (Dli109) is no big deal.
- The infrared remote sensor is great (especially front and back, like on the K-3). I could even trigger it with my smartphone. The KP requires a new remote shutter release, which is a PITA.
- I can live without the top LCD or dual card slots of the K-3.
- The burst rate of the K-3 is excellent, but you might not need it much unless you shoot sports or moving wildlife.
- The KP and K-3 have a much more effective dust removal system than that in the K-S2 or K-30 (or K-70).

Last edited by Des; 05-29-2019 at 02:29 PM.
05-29-2019, 03:51 PM   #66
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

I didn't do any thing

thank the members of the forum who posts the user reviews and the staff who do the in depth reviews and whoever organized the comparison tool