Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
03-13-2019, 12:43 PM - 1 Like   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
For the past couple of days I've been reading through this forum. I stopped on this thread because I was curious about the K-70, having recently acquired a K-5. If I'm out of line, I apologize, yet I've always been one to speak my mind. I am new to this Pentax Forum, and all of the "my dog is bigger than your dog" attitude, that appears on many threads, does nothing to make me feel welcome, nor does it keep me better informed about Pentax. I wanted to read about the D-70, instead, I ended up with whose battery is bigger.
If you have read the first post in this thread, you will know that Arbalist started it by asking for comments as to whether the K-70 was a good upgrade from his K-5. In subsequent posts you will have read lots of helpful comments in praise of the capabilities of the K-70, along with links to reviews of that camera and comparisons with other Pentax cameras.

The battery capacity is a matter of fact - the D-Li90 used in the K-5 is good for twice as many shots as the D-Li109 in the K-70. It is not unreasonable for some members to express their opinion that this an important difference between the cameras for them, whereas some others write that they are happy to accept that limitation and work around it.

Hopefully most members here probably would consider that anyone's views are always welcome. However, it should come as no surprise if alternative views are expressed, especially if/when someone posts comments that seem unfair and/or factually incorrect.

Philip

03-13-2019, 01:05 PM - 3 Likes   #32
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
The battery capacity is a matter of fact - the D-Li90 used in the K-5 is good for twice as many shots as the D-Li109 in the K-70. It is not unreasonable for some members to express their opinion that this an important difference between the cameras for them, whereas some others write that they are happy to accept that limitation and work around it.
What might not be so good is people claiming a camera is second tier because of battery size. We are all in favour of facts, some of the interpretations of those facts get pretty outrageous. For me the battery size issue hasn't been mentioned. I do a lot of trips where I'm away from a charger for two weeks. At the end of such trips I have often had to exchange the battery from the least used camera and put it in the most used camera. Having APS-c batteries the same size as my K-1 batteries is desirable.

But for a K-70 or K-P alone, just buy more batteries. You need to know you have to buy more batteries, but it would be crazy to not buy the camera for that reason, or to over-look the other positive features of the camera because you might. For most people, they are going to want two batteries. I'm not sure whether a K-3 battery or K-70 battery would even change that. You're always going to want two. Maybe the K-70 batteries will be cheaper if all you need is one extra. There are advantages both ways.

Everyone loves new facts. Most hate outrageous interpretations of those facts.

Last edited by normhead; 03-13-2019 at 01:18 PM.
03-13-2019, 01:19 PM - 2 Likes   #33
Forum Member

Original Poster
As a point of interest it has always amazed me how long the battery lasts in my K5. I bought a spare years ago but have never needed it.
03-13-2019, 01:20 PM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Arbalist Quote
As a point of interest it has always amazed me how long the battery lasts in my K5. I bought a spare years ago but have never needed it.
I always have a fresh one in the camera case. But then, doing small birds and stuff, firing off 800 images in a single session is not all that usual. At 8 frames a second, it just doesn't take that long.

03-13-2019, 01:57 PM   #35
Pentaxian

I agree with all of your post #32, Norm (and see my post #18).

Philip
03-13-2019, 02:16 PM - 6 Likes   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a K-70. Use it for macro, flowers, landscape, the occasional bird in a tree etc. I have no need for exceptional battery life. I carry a spare when I leave the property but often don't need it. Makes sense to match your equipment to the type of photography you pursue. If you need larger battery capacity than the K-70 provides don't buy one. Seems rather obvious to me. The K-70 is a damn good camera for what it is. A lot of bang for your buck. I know practically nothing about post production. This shot pretty much sooc. Minor tweaks. K-70 paired with the 55-300mm PLM. I think you can pick up this combo today for $1,000.00 give or take. They team up well together.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-13-2019, 02:16 PM - 1 Like   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ErikRuss Quote
I am new to this Pentax Forum, and all of the "my dog is bigger than your dog" attitude, that appears on many threads, does nothing to make me feel welcome, nor does it keep me better informed about Pentax.
First of all, welcome to the forums!

It is inevitable in any gear based forum (no matter the brand or even type of equipment we're talking about) that comparisons are inevitable. Some of the strange arguments you see? They're a sign of how much people love their cameras and enjoy using them as you don't (usually) get into arguments about stuff you don't care about. The advantage is that they also love their cameras enough that you will always find someone here willing to answer any questions you have.

I suggest there is useful information to be gleaned from these discussions, as people are arguing about (for example) how much battery capacity is enough, they are hopefully giving their use cases and you can use this information to make your own decisions. If it gets to be too much, head to the various 'post your photos' sections and look at pretty pictures, these areas are usually much more peaceful.

I hope you can find a way to get the information you're after and in a way that's agreeable to you.

03-13-2019, 02:24 PM - 2 Likes   #38
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When I place my K5IIs next to my K70 the size seems the same to me, so the excuse about small form factor does not excuse the poor battery choice. The K5 is way heavier if thats a concern and the rear LCD is smaller on the K70 due to being set in a flippy screen holder. Is the K70 a good camera? yes it is and If it was my first camera I would not have noticed the battery size. I will say though if you buy extra batteries for your K70 dont get third party batteries due getting less shots than a Pentax battery, I learnt the hard way by buying 2 wasabi and I get 50 shots from one and about 100 from the other.
Do I regret buying my K70? Yes in few ways I do.
But I will add a shot here from my K70 =)

Last edited by zippythezip; 03-13-2019 at 02:30 PM.
03-13-2019, 03:17 PM - 5 Likes   #39
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Oh Hell. While I'm at it. K-70 with HD DA 35mm Macro Ltd. Bottom line is do the research to match your camera equipment to your photographic style. Then you should have no regrets. Well.....less regrets anyway.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-13-2019, 06:16 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by DW58 Quote
Oh Hell. While I'm at it. K-70 with HD DA 35mm Macro Ltd. Bottom line is do the research to match your camera equipment to your photographic style. Then you should have no regrets. Well.....less regrets anyway.
The two ways to in crease your DOF for macro.. smaller sensor, and wider angle lens.
03-13-2019, 08:35 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Battery life is near the top of my list because I take a lot of long-duration time lapses. One battery can last for several hours. Since I sometimes leave it out in the rain, for me there's no better pairing for the money for high-quality for time lapses than the K5 and the DA* 16-50mm.
03-14-2019, 12:10 AM - 2 Likes   #42
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mconwxdr Quote
Battery life is near the top of my list because I take a lot of long-duration time lapses. One battery can last for several hours. Since I sometimes leave it out in the rain, for me there's no better pairing for the money for high-quality for time lapses than the K5 and the DA* 16-50mm.
Same here, just astrophotography, that’s why I made this for my K-70 (could have been any other camera for that sake)

03-14-2019, 01:06 AM   #43
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
Having to manage two battery formats for the same camera body is not good design, in my opinion.

And if, like me, you don’t want to add the bulk of the grip, you’re stuck using the smaller battery from the “second-tier” line and all the while resenting the fact that the batteries I already have for my K-01, K5 and previous first-tier models I’ve owned are completely useless.
As a KP owner, I think the dual battery idea is brilliant, and the grip is awesome. You don't have to manage two batteries at all - just replace the D-Li90 from the grip when needed and enjoy the extra battery life.

And as for bulk, in my experience the grip makes it a considerably better handling camera, especially with lenses like my DA*11-18, DA*50-135 and DFA150-450 (which I use a lot on the KP). I only remove it when I'm using a minimalist DA Limited walk-around kit.
03-14-2019, 04:51 AM   #44
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DrawsACircle Quote
That also puzzles me, many of us carry a bag full of lenses with a 1:1 cost/weight ($/gram) ratio, why care about battery capacity when an extra cost and weigh a fraction of all the other stuff we carry with us?
Because many of us like to occasionally go out with only a camera and a single prime lens so that our gear might not get in the way of our photography and the constraints of the single focal length might inspire creativity within those constraints.

During those outings, many of use would be loathe to carry around another battery and fumble with it mid-shoot.

Also, the smaller battery increases the likelihood that the time you feel inspired to go out and take pictures will be the time that your battery is nearly drained from the previous shoot and you didn’t think to recharge it then.

Battery capacity is an important spec and fitting the KP with the smaller battery was a mistake.

It’s the only reason why I don’t own a KP today and am hanging onto my trusty K5 in the hopes that Ricoh make a good successor to the K5/K3 line.

I like the aesthetics of the KP. I think the proposed custom KP hideous.

I would never ever consider the K-“double digit” line ever.

I recommended a K-50 to my sister and two years later she’s stuck with the aperture block issue and outside of warranty with an estimated $200 repair bill.

I don’t care that they claim to have resolved the issue. I’m not vouching for the second tier cameras again and I advise people to buy the premium line, if considering Pentax, for battery capacity and other considerations.
03-14-2019, 06:12 AM   #45
Pentaxian

During those outings, many of use would be loathe to carry around another battery and fumble with it mid-shoot.
Because you're going to take 400 images in one shoot... with one lens on a walk.
Ya, OK.
What I'm loathe to do is carry a camera without a camera bag, and every case and bag I own has room for a spare battery.

But ya, I guess is you want to risk damage to your camera having your camera bouncing around on a neck strap, you're got a point. Not one that makes sense to every one but a point.

I don’t care that they claim to have resolved the issue. I’m not vouching for the second tier cameras again and I advise people to buy the premium line, if considering Pentax, for battery capacity and other considerations.
But you'll recommend Nikon (sensor stain issue) Canon Eos R issues, Sony star eater issues. If you are going to start recommending against camera companies with issues, there's going to be no one left to recommend. Nikon actually had their sales suspended in China and Russia because they were dumping defective bodies there and refusing to honour the warranties.

I understand not recommending second tier cameras to any but very light users. But recommending against K-70s and K-Ps that have features the K-3s don't on the basis of ancient history seems a little crazy.