Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 69 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2019, 09:52 AM - 2 Likes   #46
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mtl_pentaxian Quote
Because many of us like to occasionally go out with only a camera and a single prime lens so that our gear might not get in the way of our photography and the constraints of the single focal length might inspire creativity within those constraints.

I do, frequently, manual focus, manual aperture and no LiveView ... the 4xAA cells last all day!

03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #47
Pentaxian

Because many of us like to occasionally go out with only a camera and a single prime lens.....During those outings, many of us would be loathe to carry around another battery and fumble with it mid-shoot.
???!!!

Philip
03-14-2019, 05:22 PM   #48
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Battery capacity is an important spec and fitting the KP with the smaller battery was a mistake.
For you. For me and thousands that have bought the KP, it's fine. I also prefer the compact design and have had no problems managing battery life. Perhaps their target market is buyers more like me.
03-15-2019, 03:38 AM - 1 Like   #49
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
For you. For me and thousands that have bought the KP, it's fine. I also prefer the compact design and have had no problems managing battery life. Perhaps their target market is buyers more like me.
I don't have the KP having opted for the K-70 (for many other reasons) but I admire the design of the K-P. It really is quite simple, the replaceable grip system would not have been possible with a larger battery. The grips and the slimline design are part of what makes the KP a very remarkable DSLR (that and its awesome performance of course). By adding a battery-grip that will take a larger battery, the designers have catered for a much wider group of potential buyers IMHO. A stroke of genius, AFAIC.

03-17-2019, 04:21 AM   #50
Forum Member

Seems like the K-70 might not be immune to the aperture issue.

Some (starting) problem with K-70: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
03-17-2019, 04:51 AM   #51
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Some (starting) problem with K-70: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
Any part that can fail, eventually will.
03-17-2019, 05:02 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I went from K-5 to KP and couldn't be happier.
I do have spare batteries, but I am a relative light user, and rarely change batteries during an outing.
(Those of us who changed film every 36 shots would all agree that changing a battery is a lot less of a deal - whether it is every 100 shots or 700)
Those who do time lapse and astro obviously have different needs and should choose equipment appropriate to those needs; for me a spare battery or two in the bag is no big deal.
The only time I have been caught out is when I went away for a few days and left the spare charged batteries on my desk; can't blame the camera for that!!

03-17-2019, 05:50 AM - 2 Likes   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Wow! You found one single case. Great job.
03-17-2019, 06:01 AM - 1 Like   #54
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by newmikey Quote
And violated the "no Donkey Pee Rantings content" rule at the same time.
That's an automatic credibility score of zero, before even reading the rest of the post.
03-17-2019, 06:06 AM   #55
Pentaxian

Yes, that seems insignificant, except to that owner. The K-70 will soon be three years old, and it appears to have a generally good reliability record so far.

Philip
03-20-2019, 02:35 PM   #56
Forum Member

Sadly, I found another one posted on a closed Facebook group called “Pentax Camera Users” by a person going by name Camera Jackie, who writes:

“I have a K70, 15 months old. It's started taking very black dark photos, on auto! Turning it off and on doesn't help. After three or four shots it wakes up. The exif data on the black shots is the same as the first successful photo. I usually shoot on apperture priority, so thought error mine, until I turned it to auto.

Anyone else experienced this? Any ideas what I'm doing wrong or is camera faulty?? Thanks J”
03-20-2019, 03:37 PM   #57
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sadly, I found another one posted on a closed Facebook group called “Pentax Camera Users” by a person going by name Camera Jackie, who writes:

“I have a K70, 15 months old. It's started taking very black dark photos,
Good luck trying to find a camera with 100% reliability.
03-20-2019, 10:06 PM - 1 Like   #58
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Why are you here?
03-21-2019, 08:01 AM   #59
Pentaxian

Going back one generation, we can be fairly sure that K-S2 aperture control is more reliable than K-30/50 aperture control was - so most likely that will be true of the K-70 also - but the K-S2 and K-70 are still consumer grade cameras, so like any consumer grade camera, be it Canon Rebel, Nikon D3xxx, or any other comparable camera, most likely something will fail while a higher-grade body is still running. In the case of the K-70, the something that fails may still be the aperture control, which still leaves the camera usable {unlike my Canon Rebels that had processor issues .... which makes the whole thing useless}
03-22-2019, 03:22 AM   #60
Forum Member

Why are you here?
I’m here because this is a discussion forum for Pentax users to discuss Pentax cameras. Why are you here?

---------- Post added 03-22-19 at 03:24 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
Going back one generation, we can be fairly sure that K-S2 aperture control is more reliable than K-30/50 aperture control was - so most likely that will be true of the K-70 also - but the K-S2 and K-70 are still consumer grade cameras, so like any consumer grade camera, be it Canon Rebel, Nikon D3xxx, or any other comparable camera, most likely something will fail while a higher-grade body is still running. In the case of the K-70, the something that fails may still be the aperture control, which still leaves the camera usable {unlike my Canon Rebels that had processor issues .... which makes the whole thing useless}
That’s true enough. You can use any lens with an aperture ring and work around the problem.