Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2007, 07:08 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Dreaming about next PMA announcement

The thread regarding a 1.3 crop sensor made me stop and think about what the future might hold in store for us. This is way out of the box thinking and is probably insane but it is fun to speculate while we wait for the next announcement from Pentax that I am sure is still to come at PMA.

Let's say EV's improve greatly so the mirror can be eliminated. This could reduce the size and cost of bodies substantially. Let's also assume the cost of sensors drops and there are more choices such as :
1)1.3 crop with 14 MP.
2)1.3 crop with 10MP
3)1.5 crop with 10MP.
4)1.5 crop with 6MP.
5)2 crop with 8MP
6)2 crop with 6MP.

Now that would allow Pentax to make various niche bodies for special needs. If these bodies sold in the $300 to $600 range and were small enough you could carry several with you. A DA 21, DA40 , and a DA70 would give you coverage from 27mm to 140mm.

Total control of DOF, FOV, and noise levels. Sign me up for a new loan, LOL.

Regards,

02-28-2007, 07:27 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by regken Quote
Let's say EV's improve greatly so the mirror can be eliminated. This could reduce the size and cost of bodies substantially. Let's also assume the cost of sensors drops and there are more choices such as :
An SLR without a mirror? I'm going to miss that if that day happens. I like the sound and feel of something mechanically going when I squeeze the shutter.
02-28-2007, 08:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I miss the "kerplunk" of the good ol' ME. Actually if you are considering a 2x, it looks like the new Olympus E410 (or the next gen E400) is going to be unveiled.

The Four-Thirds Mount has one of the shortest flange distances so there are mount adapters a plenty on ebay and you can use all your M42 and K mount lenses! I like the E400 cuz of the resemblance to old film cameras like the OM10, Pentax ME.
02-28-2007, 08:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alvin Quote
An SLR without a mirror? I'm going to miss that if that day happens. I like the sound and feel of something mechanically going when I squeeze the shutter.
What I would like to see is the IR filter which is in front of the sensor moved in from of the mirror therefore sealing the chamber completely. No more dust on the mirror or focusing screen, easily clean and if you scratch it, the damage would not show unless extensive as it is way out of focus. In addition make it so it can be replaced easily. Isn't the Sigma SD14 build like that.