Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2008, 11:45 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
I have heard (read) alot of people expressing dissatisfaction with the K10D out of the box. I just recieved mine and was wondering what settings other users might recommend as I am just sitting here waiting for the battery to charge and can't wait to start shooting.
as others have mentioned, sett the use apature ring to "on"

ALso, as a throwback to shooting film, I usually set WB to daylight, unless I need a custom setting, for interior lights, which is done by taking a photo, and then selecting WB with the Fn button and 4 way controller. This gives you interactive adjustment of WB on the spot.

Contrast is adjusted based upon shooting conditions, to get the most out of the situation (cloudy day flat lighting, high contrast. Sunny day harsh shadows low contrast)

Usually saturation and sharpness sit in the middle,

RAW is on demand with the raw button for RAW plus JPEG.

Normally shoot in manual mode using spot metering to isolate what I want right.

Note, when using A TC on fast lenses (F2.8 and faster) requires compensation for exposure, typically -1 to -1.5 stops.

10-03-2008, 12:56 PM   #17

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks to all, this was a very informative thread. I appreciate all the input.
02-23-2009, 07:44 PM   #18
Forum Member

now don't bite my head off. lol

I'm gonna shoot in JPEG, so how should I adjust the white balance right out of the box?
02-23-2009, 08:44 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd go along with Lowell's advice to set WB to "daylight" in that case...kind of the default for us old film shooters, it makes a good beginning point. If you post process beginning with Adobe's Camera Raw (ACR), you can then check out alternative white balances with your JPEGs just as you can when processing RAW files.

02-23-2009, 10:21 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by crispy0009 Quote
I'm gonna shoot in JPEG, so how should I adjust the white balance right out of the box?
If you shoot JPEG, you need to set WB according to the situation. AWB works fine most of the time, but you'll want to change to tungsten when shooting under incandescent lighting (eg, your basic light bulb).
02-25-2009, 02:26 AM   #21
Forum Member

Thanks folks.