Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-02-2008, 07:15 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K10D Settings

I have heard (read) alot of people expressing dissatisfaction with the K10D out of the box. I just recieved mine and was wondering what settings other users might recommend as I am just sitting here waiting for the battery to charge and can't wait to start shooting.

10-02-2008, 07:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You got me. The only thing I changed, out of the box, was to enable the aperture ring and change the default format to RAW.

Steve
10-02-2008, 08:12 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Sort of pointless for us to suggest what would look best to you.

But I'd bump the contrast +1 :-)
10-02-2008, 08:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

a lot of people only found dissatisfaction after the K20D came out.
before that they had only had goooooooood things to say about the K10D
this is why i bought one, and i must say, yes i would like to get a K20D, but for know, i am very pleased with the K10D

Dave

10-02-2008, 08:39 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

I use JPG with sharpness +2 and contrast +2 for photos I don't want to post process.
I use RAW otherwise.

Regarding K10D vs K20D, I actually prefer the K10D, it, at least for me, produces sharper, more "snappy" photos most of the time. The K20D has been relegated to become my "macro" photo camera due to the higher resolution and live view.
10-02-2008, 08:41 PM   #6
Veteran Member

In my humble opinion most photos with MY K10D need at least
+1 saturation
+1 sharpness
+1 contrast
+1/3 exposure compensation.

I don't know if this would vary from camera to camera for me. I got my hands on a K20 set it in a similar way and the saturation looked terrible. The asian people came out looking VERY orange while the white people came out looking exremely PINK. Perhaps between examples of the same body there would be variation too.
10-02-2008, 09:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You got me. The only thing I changed, out of the box, was to enable the aperture ring and change the default format to RAW.

Steve
I second the motion.
10-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Shoot in Raw and you'll never have to fret about the white balance or settings again.

10-02-2008, 10:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

just realized i only answered one part of your question
i find the K10 D shoots great in RAW . i use to only shoot in jpeg, but then i discovered RAW
with that, you can do and undo , add or minus, as you please . and most of all, if your white balance was out, you can still fix it,
Dave
10-03-2008, 01:24 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Aaron, when I got my K10D, I just set its default to RAW capture, and went through the menus (especially the Custom menu) to tweak a few settings to my personal preferences for how the camera operates. The manual is pretty clear about how to proceed and what to expect. Haven't had to fiddle with much since I first set up the camera, and haven't seen much to complain about in the pictures it helps me make, assuming that I do my part, of course.
10-03-2008, 01:33 AM   #11

while mine was charging up, I started at menu one, and worked through every option to get it as close to my previous k100d's settings, and tuned everything else. I like a custom set. But yes whatever works for you.

I see alot of folks replied about setting the sharpness/contrast etc. Is this even neccesary for RAW? I thought those settings only affected JPEG processing in-camera?
10-03-2008, 02:09 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote

I see alot of folks replied about setting the sharpness/contrast etc. Is this even neccesary for RAW? I thought those settings only affected JPEG processing in-camera?
You are correct, only affects JPEG processing.
10-03-2008, 06:17 AM   #13
Veteran Member

How about normal versus bright mode?

QuoteOriginally posted by kunik Quote
In my humble opinion most photos with MY K10D need at least
+1 saturation
+1 sharpness
+1 contrast
+1/3 exposure compensation.

I don't know if this would vary from camera to camera for me. I got my hands on a K20 set it in a similar way and the saturation looked terrible. The asian people came out looking VERY orange while the white people came out looking exremely PINK. Perhaps between examples of the same body there would be variation too.
10-03-2008, 08:51 AM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron1971 Quote
I have heard (read) alot of people expressing dissatisfaction with the K10D out of the box. I just recieved mine and was wondering what settings other users might recommend as I am just sitting here waiting for the battery to charge and can't wait to start shooting.
that's usually about JPG look, and overall controls... To get really nice JPG results just bump sharpness up, contrast +1 or even +2 for real black in shots, and there's that vivid option which I find usefull for landscapes, but again, that means constant WhiteBalance checking since colors get a bit off, if WB is to warm...
This ofcourse, doesn't apply for RAW, since it's all user work with it...

controls are whole different story, considering k10d is really detailed and comprehensive about 'em... I spent about a month untill fully setup as I like
10-03-2008, 11:37 AM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by marlon Quote
The settings are recorded in the RAW file, although they don't affect the data. Some RAW processing applications will look at those "As Shot" settings and use them to set their own default settings for the image, just as they all generally do for white balance. So you can think of those settings as providing "hints" to your RAW processing application as to how you want the processing performed. Should be an easy matter to check which of those setting your particular application will listen to. I find ACDSee will listen to saturation and sharpness "hints", and on both my DS and K200D, I have the sharpness turned up a click above the default, which generally produces pleasing results to me in ACDSee.