Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 06:46 AM - 10 Likes   #1
Pentaxian

Custom Image explained - Pentax communication? In English?

I've just seen this - it's a few days old, but some of us would be interested.
It's an in-depth explanation - with visual examples - of the Pentax Custom Images presets (with notes about their customization, as well).

And it's in English - no pesky Google translation needed.

Excellent! I hope they'll add more and more such content (how about... AF modes?)

Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING

P.S. I'm not sure this is actually News - except for the news of Ricoh Imaging stepping up their English communication. It's definitely not a rumor
If there's a more appropriate section...

03-18-2019, 07:11 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The key sentence is the first one: "All PENTAX digital SLR cameras currently on the market feature the creative Custom Image function." The menu on my 6.5 year old K-30 looks a little rougher than on the web page, but I still have the spider chart. Admittedly, this web content is more colorful and detailed than the two pages it gets in my camera manual, but you have to excuse me for being somewhat less excited by this "news." Does anyone know how many Pentax DSLR users use their camera for post-processing of SOOC JPEGs?
03-18-2019, 07:12 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've been looking forward to such guides. Wasn't it already one of the two articles published last year?

Anyway. I've always thought that "Natural" is the default setting closest to RAW (as far as the histogram is concerned). But in those web pages about Custom Image, it seems that the reference style is almost always "Bright".
Recently, I've realized that the max spot meter exposure is almost +3ev (when contrast is set to minimum), and not +2ev as I used to believe. The default style already add some contrast to images (and histogram) before rendering it to the display. So, in order to know how much exposure headroom we have to post processing of RAW files, it is useful to set the customer image contrast slider to minimum, which gives approx. +3ev to -5ev exposure latitude.
03-18-2019, 07:27 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've been looking forward to such guides. Wasn't it already one of the two articles published last year?

Anyway. I've always thought that "Natural" is the default setting closest to RAW (as far as the histogram is concerned). But in those web pages about Custom Image, it seems that the reference style is almost always "Bright".
Recently, I've realized that the max spot meter exposure is almost +3ev (when contrast is set to minimum), and not +2ev as I used to believe. The default style already add some contrast to images (and histogram) before rendering it to the display. So, in order to know how much exposure headroom we have to post processing of RAW files, it is useful to set the customer image contrast slider to minimum, which gives approx. +3ev to -5ev exposure latitude.
The default is always bright, isn't it? (When the camera is new or you reset the settings.) I usually set it to natural. So you are suggesting to set the contrast to minimum on bright or natural (to get the most accurate histogram)?

03-18-2019, 08:06 AM   #5
sbh
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Kunzite Quote
I've just seen this - it's a few days old, but some of us would be interested.
It's an in-depth explanation - with visual examples - of the Pentax Custom Images presets (with notes about their customization, as well).

And it's in English - no pesky Google translation needed.

Excellent! I hope they'll add more and more such content (how about... AF modes?)

Give further expression with PENTAX "Custom Image" | RICOH IMAGING

P.S. I'm not sure this is actually News - except for the news of Ricoh Imaging stepping up their English communication. It's definitely not a rumor
If there's a more appropriate section...
Nice! It explains a few things. Good to see.
03-18-2019, 09:33 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The default is always bright, isn't it? (When the camera is new or you reset the settings.) I usually set it to natural.
Me too. And I forgot how was the default when I switched-on cameras for the first time. And now I won't do a reset to factory defaults to check this point
03-21-2019, 08:17 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've criticized Ricoh on a few things recently but now I'm going to give them some credit. Nice job on these articles. I learnt a few things and look forward to more.
Small things like this can really help keep the user base engaged.

03-21-2019, 09:23 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by caliscouser Quote
I learnt a few things and look forward to more.
Me too.

Absolutely. This part (articles, papers) is a big miss for Pentax. The manuals aren't that clear about how things are meant to be used. I hope Ricoh Im. will continue to clarify some of camera operating modes.
03-21-2019, 10:02 AM   #9
Forum Member

Thanks for posting this! I think this is a great article as it lets you see the differences the custom image modes/parameter settings actually make in jpeg. Great job Ricoh. Looking forward to more of the same type of articles.
03-21-2019, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Hmm, why is this in a different location than these articles: Make the most of your PENTAX camera! Your guide to helpful picture-taking techniques / Beautiful Photo-life | RICOH IMAGING? The article is not really a "product".

More "how to use" your camera articles are great. Really great. And I hope they continue to eventually build up a comprehensive library. But with even just a few under their belt, the organization already feels discombobulated, but they may have a plan I don't see.

QuoteOriginally posted by RGlasel Quote
Does anyone know how many Pentax DSLR users use their camera for post-processing of SOOC JPEGs?
No, but the result of out of camera jpegs is often panned in reviews or compared unfavorably to other manufacturers who might use punchier defaults. More information on how to fine-tune these settings is a good thing (even if I never personally use them).
03-21-2019, 10:19 AM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The default is always bright, isn't it?
Yep

Steve
03-21-2019, 10:21 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Yes! Both Nikon and Canon publish ongoing articles and white papers regarding their product features and how to use their gear, something that is much appreciated by folk doing research or attempting troubleshooting or simply trying to figure something out.

Steve
03-21-2019, 10:25 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
So, in order to know how much exposure headroom we have to post processing of RAW files, it is useful to set the customer image contrast slider to minimum, which gives approx. +3ev to -5ev exposure latitude.
You are aware that the custom image settings only apply to in-camera JPEG, in-camera RAW, and RAW processing with PDCU, right? They don't impact RAW capture data or RAW processing with tools other than that provided by Pentax.*

Steve

* A possible exception might be the non-Adobe camera profiles available in Lightroom that approximate those in the camera and PDCU.

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-21-2019 at 11:11 AM. Reason: completeness
03-21-2019, 01:01 PM   #14
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Moved to "Pentax DSLR Discussion"
03-21-2019, 11:29 PM   #15
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are aware that the custom image settings only apply to in-camera JPEG, in-camera RAW, and RAW processing with PDCU, right? They don't impact RAW capture data or RAW processing with tools other than that provided by Pentax.*
Yes I'm aware of that. OOC picture styles interest me because I often convert RAW with the camera directly (also doing RAW dev. on PC). I've found that for properly exposed RAW, the combination if picture styles and filters can give interesting (sometimes funny) results. Fuji have their own in-camera film emulations, similar to Pentax JPEG styles.