Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2019, 07:41 PM - 2 Likes   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Probably posted before, but just in case: Tony & Chelsea Northrup - History of Pentax

03-18-2019, 09:03 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, we've had a couple of threads on this, Zephos.

They're as usual pretty ignorant, but, you know, Chelsea's quite sympathetic to the history and culture of the Asahi/Pentax brands that she's read up about.
03-18-2019, 09:05 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, we've had a couple of threads on this, Zephos.

They're as usual pretty ignorant, but, you know, Chelsea's quite sympathetic to the history and culture of the Asahi/Pentax brands that she's read up about.
I didn't find them to be ignorant, just having a different opinion than most Pentaxians. I was disappointed that they didn't talk about more models, such as the K-3, etc. What in particular do you think they are ignorant about?
03-18-2019, 09:24 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
I didn't find them to be ignorant, just having a different opinion than most Pentaxians. I was disappointed that they didn't talk about more models, such as the K-3, etc. What in particular do you think they are ignorant about?
Help yourself to the links below, Zephos, honestly, this is not new, we've already covered this extensively nearly a year ago from many angles!

Tony and Chelsea Northrup Pentax History - PentaxForums.com

Northrup

T and C - Pentax History Podcast - PentaxForums.com

History of Pentax: The Beatles, Tragedy, WW2 (Picture This! Podcast) - PentaxForums.com

03-18-2019, 09:53 PM - 3 Likes   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Zephos Quote
What in particular do you think they are ignorant about?
Too bad they got so much wrong, sometimes badly wrong. Examples:
  • Phantom 1949 Asahi SLR
  • Ignorance of the actual history of 35mm SLR photography both in Europe and Japan
  • Wrong year for Asahiflex I
  • Confusion of the Asahiflex non-reflex viewfinder with a rangefinder and ignorance of its purpose (sport finder) or its presence of similar finders on top-shelf German SLRs
  • Apparently not aware of Exakta bayonet-mount cameras in the 1930s or Nikon F-mount and other Japanese bayonet mount SLRs from the late 1950s on
  • Missed the other Beatles who shot with and owned Pentax cameras
  • Confusion of the 6x7 medium format cameras with the 645 line
  • Apparent confusion about both film and digital 645 SLRs and that any were viable and highly successful as pro offerings
  • General ignorance of medium format photography
  • Unaware of the LX as a pro offering despite showing picture of same
  • Unaware of any Pentax dSLRs that were disruptive or had significant market success (the K10D and K20D on both counts, for example)
  • Did not realize that the distinguishing characteristic of the *ist D was compact size, not affordability (it was priced at the high end) and that APS-C was not an indication of down-market intent.
  • Unable to spell bayonet (bayonette?)
  • Ignorant of the market and technical draw of the M42 mount from its use on the first pentaprism SLRs from Zeiss and KW in 1949 through the 1950s, 1960s and well into the 1970s
  • Confusion regarding the role of the Canon AE-1 in transforming the SLR market (it was the value price point for an easy to use AE camera, not the high tech content)
  • Ignorant that while the SMC Pentax-AF 35-70mm lens was fairly clunky, the PDAF (not sure of actual mechanism) TTL focus detection the ME-F camera was the first of its kind in any commercial camera.* (Note too that the ME F supports focus confirm that works quite well.)
  • Ignorance regarding the hot shoe placement on the SF-1
  • Strangely suggesting that Pentax fans were primarily fixated on ancient optics

Kudos for:
  • Actually doing a Pentax history podcast
  • Highlighting backward lens compatibility
  • Calling out the Ricoh XR-1 as the first example of non-Pentax K-mount SLRs

Rightly:
  • Noted the lack of modern lens selection on launch for the K-1, though part of the blame should have gone to Ricoh for not providing the full spread of compatible lenses on their inquiry. Note that Tony and Chelsea were unable to secure a K-1 with lenses from Ricoh. Instead, they borrowed kit from someone they knew.

Ridiculous:
  • Splicing in late-60s Pentax ads for who knows what purpose (BTW...I am a fan of the Pentax Girl)
  • Suggesting that Pentax did not highlight their tech, choosing instead to market their cameras as consumer-level easy-to-use. Apparently he lacks access to magazine archives of the day.
  • Not letting Chelsea anchor the podcast. Her expressions were priceless in that she had done her homework and he was free-associating.

I actually sort of like Tony and Chelsea. I just wish they would hire a few assistants for fact checking and production...and perhaps makeup (Tony).

Steve

(...my apologies to Chelsea, should she be lurking...)

* It has been my understanding that the system is some variant of PDAF. If not, my fact-checkers will set me right...Confirmed (mostly) by details in the Wikipedia article...contrast detect sensor in the mirrorbox bottom in the same configuration as PDAF SLRs that followed. LINK

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-18-2019 at 10:55 PM. Reason: Clarification regarding ME-F
03-26-2019, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #6

Photos: Gallery
When I listen to any experts, I heed to what Bruce Lee once advised: “Absorb what is useful, Discard what is not, Add what is uniquely your own.”
03-26-2019, 01:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Lost respect for Tony when he came out and said there's no need to set ISO, just fix it in post! What a dope.
03-27-2019, 09:46 AM - 1 Like   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by jack002 Quote
Lost respect for Tony when he came out and said there's no need to set ISO, just fix it in post! What a dope.
I agree. For those like me, who only retain SOOC images, that suggestion makes no sense.

03-28-2019, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Suhail Quote
I agree. For those like me, who only retain SOOC images, that suggestion makes no sense.
Even shooting raw, this is lazy.