Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2008, 07:23 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K200D--first impressions

I got my new K200D yesterday and these are a few of my initial impressions:

The grip: I like the K200's grip better, as it's deeper, meaning that I'll have a more secure grip on it
Setup: the menus are very similar to the K10, so no problems in adjusting the menu settings.
Buttons: it has most of the buttons except for the metering dial (just beneath the left top dial on the K10), the AF button (I might miss that--being able to separate the AF from the shutter button--I don't use it all the time, but I guess I could just switch to MF if I need that capability), and the dial that surrounds the 4-way controller dial (not a big deal to me since I don't use it).
Viewfinder: never mind that it's a pentamirror--it's still nice and bright.
Build: it feels just as solid as my K10.

I just went out and took a few shots with it, but I don't have time right now to elaborate on that, but I will later on.

Heather

10-03-2008, 08:46 AM   #2
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
I got my new K200D yesterday and these are a few of my initial impressions:

The grip: I like the K200's grip better, as it's deeper, meaning that I'll have a more secure grip on it
Setup: the menus are very similar to the K10, so no problems in adjusting the menu settings.
Buttons: it has most of the buttons except for the metering dial (just beneath the left top dial on the K10), the AF button (I might miss that--being able to separate the AF from the shutter button--I don't use it all the time, but I guess I could just switch to MF if I need that capability), and the dial that surrounds the 4-way controller dial (not a big deal to me since I don't use it).
Viewfinder: never mind that it's a pentamirror--it's still nice and bright.
Build: it feels just as solid as my K10.

I just went out and took a few shots with it, but I don't have time right now to elaborate on that, but I will later on.

Heather
what about viewfinder size? how much difference compared to k10?
10-03-2008, 09:23 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
As for the viewfinder size, I don't know all the technical details right off hand, but when I went out with the K200 this morning, I didn't find it's size to be a problem for me.

On the subject of actually using it, I took it out earlier this morning shooting in both JPG and RAW. Since I'm at work right now, I won't be able to process and upload the pics until later on tonight. A couple of things I noticed right off the bat that I really like are that the shutter seems just a bit quieter and the bigger LCD is brighter than the K10D. Autofocus didn't seem to be a problem, but I'll have to try it out in different situations to see how it does (ie--low-light). It's smaller size and deeper grip make it easy to carry around, with the DA35 mounted.

Overall, I'm really liking this camera a lot.

Heather
10-03-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Inactive Account

I am glad to hear you like the K200. I also own a K10 and recently purchased a K200. I find the K200 to be a very nice addition to my kit. It did not take me long to adjust to using both even with some control differences.

10-03-2008, 11:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hwblanks Quote
the AF button (I might miss that--being able to separate the AF from the shutter button--I don't use it all the time, but I guess I could just switch to MF if I need that capability)
No need - in the custom menu you can assign those same functions to the OK button. I have mine set to temporarily cancel AF, but you can also set it to enable AF if you like. Only drawback of not having a dedicated AF button for this purpose is that if you assign the OK button to AF, then you can't use OK for a couple of other things that could conceivably be useful, like returning to the center AF point when using selectable focus point mode, or displaying ISO. I'm not interested in selectable focus points (I use center only), but I would of course love it if a future firmware revision would find a way of provididng easier control over ISO. That's really the only real disadvantage I find to the K200D control layout as it is.

As for viewfinder size, I came to the K200D from the DS, and was also afraid I'd miss the larger/brighter viewfinder. I do a lot a shooting with MF lenses, and I find the differences pretty minimal. I did recently buy the magnifying eyepiece because a friend was trying to get rid of his, and I've used it some. Definitely an improvement in most ways, but in other ways I like the camera better without it. So I carry it in my bag and put it on only when shooting in situations where I know it seems to help (eg, dark jazz clubs).
10-03-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just to make sure I am not missing out, there is no way to adjust the ISO on the K200D other than through the FN menu, right? (and of course the auto iso setting)
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sewebster Quote
Just to make sure I am not missing out, there is no way to adjust the ISO on the K200D other than through the FN menu, right? (and of course the auto iso setting)
Well, there is Sv mode, which is basically P mode but with the wheel controlling ISO. But aside from that, you're right. What I think would be fabulous is if pressing the Fn button down displayed ISO in the viewfinder, and the wheel changed it. As far as I could tell, that wouldn't mess anything else up. Man, what an improvement that simple change would make!
10-03-2008, 01:11 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thanks for the succinct write-up, Heather.

But tell me, why a K200D? It's basically a K10D with smaller buffer, less buttons and a pentamirror.

10-03-2008, 01:45 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote

But tell me, why a K200D? It's basically a K10D with smaller buffer, less buttons and a pentamirror.
For me a couple reasons: smaller and a little easier to handle, but for me what I'm finding, which is irritating the HECK out of me is that the K10D metering is not working well with my two M lenses in M mode. I've got a thread on this going and there doesn't appear to be too many ways around it for a rank amateur like myself who maybe relies on the green button too much. My M lenses work beautifully with the K200D.
10-03-2008, 02:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

I can't speak for her, but I personally was willing to accept those things in order to gain the smaller/lighter body, more comfortable (for me) grip, AA batteries, quieter shutter, allegedly better high ISO performance including no VPN (even though it's the same sensor, it's the ADC and other elements of the pipeline differ), and the higher likelihood for firmware upgrades.
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The first pics--finally! :)

For the first pics, I paired the K200 up with the DA35. Note that other than processing the RAW images in LR, these are straight out of the camera.

A couple of images shot in JPG:

These were shot in RAW (DNG):

I think I may be falling in love with this camera.
Maybe I won't need to get the K20 after all...maybe I'll just wait on the K300. We'll see.

Heather
10-03-2008, 05:19 PM   #12

At cameralabs.com it says the k200d has tendency to underexpose is that true?
10-03-2008, 05:22 PM   #13
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums

I was thinking the very same thing. Aside from the ''smaller size'' the K200D seems like a downgrade from the K10D to me...Heck the K20D is s true upgrade to the K10D, but not leaps ahead. I for one would really miss the dual wheels for starters.
10-03-2008, 05:23 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by hotrod Quote
At cameralabs.com it says the k200d has tendency to underexpose is that true?
It has been my experience that this is true of all Pentax digital s.
10-03-2008, 05:42 PM   #15

So what do you do about the underexposure?