Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

View Poll Results: Make your Choice and Indicate your Identitiy!
Concentrate to invest further into the Pentax APS-C DSLR system 14057.85%
Plan to Switch, for a system with Full Frame option 208.26%
Do Nothing, Still Wait and See if Thing will be Changed later 6024.79%
I am an Old Film SLR Pentaxian 5924.38%
I am a New Pentax DSLR Pentaxian 8635.54%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2008, 07:39 AM   #1
Veteran Member

No Pentax Full Frame DSLR, What to Do Now Then?

As we all learnt from the recent Pentax interview at Photokina, there will be no Full Frame Pentax DSLR as told. But Pentax also stated their determination in solely building the APS-C DSLR system from now on (but not following the FF market trend and direction created and led by Canon, Nikon and Sony).

As an old film Pentax SLR or new Pentax DSLR user, what do you think now and what will you do then?

N.B. When completing the Poll, please enter two to three entries: 1. On your choice amongst the 3 possible things for what would you think and do; 2. Indicate whether you are a new (Pentax DSLR) or an old (Pentax film SLR) user (enter both if you're both just in case) - Thus a maximum of 3 multiple entries per user.

10-03-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
PFH
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don´t know why some people thinks that FF is like The Holy Grail. I´m personally quite content with the quality of the aps-c.
10-03-2008, 08:01 AM   #3
Banned

this is typical of ricehigh: someone who only cares about cameras and the technology, not actually taking photos.

I wont vote, but for the record, I plan on doing nothing... except to continue to use my chosen equipment.
10-03-2008, 08:05 AM   #4
Inactive Account

New digital Pentaxian here, and I plan on dropping considerable cash on the beautiful DA* lenses, once I actually have that cash. all saved from eating ramen noodles of course. Some of the shots on here with those lenses are incredible, regardless of sensor size. Go Pentax.

I'm pretty sick of seeing this topic come up, actually. As soon as a company takes a "different" approach from market leaders, they get lambasted. 30 years ago, a different approach was seen as a good thing.

10-03-2008, 08:06 AM   #5

There's no option for "I don't care about this at the moment!"

I personally am not sure about investing in APS-C glass at the moment, simply because of its wildly inconsistent optical results on a film body. But on the subject of a FF DSLR, I simply don't care. If I could easily afford one, maybe I would be slightly more interested, but as I can't (and am very happy with what I have already) then I will not vote on this.
10-03-2008, 08:12 AM   #6
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote

I personally am not sure about investing in APS-C glass at the moment, simply because of its wildly inconsistent optical results on a film body. But on the subject of a FF DSLR, I simply don't care. If I could easily afford one, maybe I would be slightly more interested, but as I can't (and am very happy with what I have already) then I will not vote on this.
Your option should be "Do Nothing, Still Wait and See if Thing will be Changed later"
10-03-2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Your option should be "Do Nothing, Still Wait and See if Thing will be Changed later"

but that's going on the assumption that this person, wants pentax to change... as I know this is exactly the thought ricehigh had when typing out that option.

Last edited by séamuis; 10-03-2008 at 08:31 AM.
10-03-2008, 08:21 AM   #8
Busiko

From the MX, LX over to K10D. And I've read that this K10's shutter can fire up to 100,000 times. I hope.
10-03-2008, 08:24 AM   #9
Veteran Member

This is sort of funny...it's not like we actually can anything about Pentax business model, can we? Do we want to? I think the who FF hysteria is getting a little old. I have said it before, and I say it now, if Pentax isn't working out for you, please, by all means explore your options, we don't need a new thread every time someone feels compelled to switch brands.

I second the notion of adding a"who cares" option to vote on.

Jason
10-03-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Busiko

QuoteOriginally posted by Spongefingers Quote

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
but that's going on the assumption that this person, wants pentax to change... as I know this is exactly the though ricehigh had when typing out that option.
Two things about this post of yours:

1 - Spongefingers STATES that "If I could easily afford one, maybe I would be..." - You see. he has some interest on it.

2 - You have already made your vote intention, so I don't understand your position as far as RH intentions are. Why don't you give him a break?
10-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Take photos with the stuff I have now.
10-03-2008, 08:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

They've fibbed before...

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
As we all learnt from the recent Pentax interview at Photokina, there will be no Full Frame Pentax DSLR as told. But Pentax also stated their determination in solely building the APS-C DSLR system from now on (but not following the FF market trend and direction created and led by Canon, Nikon and Sony).

As an old film Pentax SLR or new Pentax DSLR user, what do you think now and what will you do then?

N.B. When completing the Poll, please enter two to three entries: 1. On your choice amongst the 3 possible things for what would you think and do; 2. Indicate whether you are a new (Pentax DSLR) or an old (Pentax film SLR) user (enter both if you're both just in case) - Thus a maximum of 3 multiple entries per user.
maybe they are again. Or maybe the 645D IS the full frame camera. Who knows.

Initially, in my switch to digital, I missed my wide angles, but that has now been addressed, so I don't see any problem with APS-C continuing, especially since it keeps the size of everything down. Imagine the size of a 12-14 f4 zoom at full frame...yikes. The 14mm 2.8 would be enormous (it's already pretty big). I have lots of FA* glass not being utilized to its full extent, but so what.

From a Pentax perspective, I would rather have them address the more serious issues of:

1) lousy dynamic range still (in all digital cameras)
2) purple fringing (couldn't the micro-lenses handle this, or in-camera software?).
3) slow shutter sync
4) AF performance
5) Buffer speed
6) no fixed focal lenses from 100-200 (except for macro).
7) No big glass
8) better textural resolution as Pål has pointed out

With RAM memory now at $29.00 Cdn for 8 gigs retail, I don't see why buffer performance is such an issue, unless its related to the relatively low voltage available in cameras.

Anyway, generally pleased with the way Pentax is going, some nice new lenses and features on their cameras, but I, like many many others, just WISH THAT THEY WOULD BRING OUT A *** ****** PRO DSLR CAMERA THAT WE HAVE BEEN WAITING ON FOR 12 OR MORE ******* YEARS! WE KNOW THEY'VE GOT THEM; THEY'VE BEEN SPOTTED IN THE WILD - BRING THE **** THING TO MARKET FOR ***** SAKE! WHAT ARE YOU AFRAID OF? SUCCESS?

Pentax, I'm sure, suffers from depression and low corporate self-esteem - its like they have late-onset adult corporate zits or something.

Cheers,
Cameron
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jasvox Quote
.it's not like we actually can anything about Pentax business model, can we?
when people stop buying - company goes down
10-03-2008, 08:49 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I picked 3 of the 5 options, I didn't realize you could do that in a poll

Actually, my lens purchasing is tending to full frame only because I still use my PZ-1 from time to time, and as a back up to my DSLRs.

all but my sigma 10-20 are full frame (6 more zooms and 7 primes),

This was not by design, but it just worked out that way, as I have aquired lenses and cameras over the past 25 years.

If full frame happens, the worst thing would be that I replace my sigma 10-20 with a sigma 12-24.

In reality Who really gives a #$%#@

While other makers are generating dual camera lines, and dual lens lines, they are at the same point showing a lack of comittment to a large group of their users.

cannon, for example changes lens mounts 2 separate times already. I am amazed people are willing to stick with them through all that.
10-03-2008, 09:02 AM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Busiko Quote
Two things about this post of yours:

1 - Spongefingers STATES that "If I could easily afford one, maybe I would be..." - You see. he has some interest on it.

2 - You have already made your vote intention, so I don't understand your position as far as RH intentions are. Why don't you give him a break?
Actually no, sir. My point is that it's the present that matters, not the oh-so murky future. Even if I could afford a £2000 DSLR tomorrow, I might experience some temptation, but I'm quite sure I won't become so wealthy tomorrow, so I have no realistic concerns about such cameras. It's a purely practical matter.

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
Take photos with the stuff I have now.
I completely agree. Take pics with what we have got, and save the future for when it comes.