Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2019, 02:15 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Electronic Shutter Use

I saw a video about why using the electronic shutter is not always the best to use.

03-21-2019, 02:45 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Yep...it is a special tool with a special purpose. That being said, I am not sure I agree with his conclusions. Sony is known for doing inline processing of their RAW data. What he observed may not apply to other mirrorless cameras or to other makes offering electronic shutters.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-21-2019 at 02:52 PM.
03-21-2019, 03:05 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Remember on a DSLR you have two seperate light meters. that will also potentially throw a spanner in the works.

His style is a bit dramatic though. The optical qualities of a 1.4 lens are not cheating you simply because the camera underexposes.

The histogram is there on our cameras for a reason
03-21-2019, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The optical qualities of a 1.4 lens are not cheating you simply because the camera underexposes.
What is missing on the darker versions is additional blur due solely to additional brightness. A different background might produce a less dramatic result.

FWIW...My impression is that his extra money spent for the f/1.4 has been subverted by technique. He is cheating himself through choice of focal length and subject distance.

Steve

03-21-2019, 04:30 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've used it with excellent results. I shoot long and vibration is a real issue for very long shooting. I have a user mode set up for electronic shutter for those situations on tripod something a bit further away. It is just a bit sharper in those instances.

I didn't watch the video so can't comment.
03-22-2019, 06:13 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Click bait and I took it