Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2007, 02:48 AM   #16
Veteran Member

No AF issues here, only with 16-45.

03-02-2007, 09:18 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Do you have one? Is it safe? I gather they sort of have to take your camera apart to install it. Otherwise I'd have one already.

Will
Yes, the Katz Eye is safe. You don't "take your camera apart", the screen is held by a spring clip that you carefully release, and replace it with the new one. They supply you with directions.

The other option is to have Rachel do it for you for fifty bucks, but you have to send her the camera. If you can manage to handle the camera without frying it, you should be able to change the screen.
03-02-2007, 09:25 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dana G Quote
Yes, the Katz Eye is safe. You don't "take your camera apart", the screen is held by a spring clip that you carefully release, and replace it with the new one. They supply you with directions.

The other option is to have Rachel do it for you for fifty bucks, but you have to send her the camera. If you can manage to handle the camera without frying it, you should be able to change the screen.
I managed to take the original eye-cup off my K100D and replace it with the Pentax 1.2x magnifying eyecup. And I've been doing light brain surgery on computers for a couple of decades. So you think I could do it? Do you know if this affects the camera's warranty?

Will
03-02-2007, 09:38 AM   #19

I managed to take the original eye-cup off my K100D and replace it with the Pentax 1.2x magnifying eyecup. And I've been doing light brain surgery on computers for a couple of decades. So you think I could do it? Do you know if this affects the camera's warranty?

Will
Yes, and no. Yes you can do it, and no, the camera is designed with interchangeable screens (or at least my K10D is, and the mechanism is similar to my old MX cameras) so it won't effect the warranty.

I just find it a lot easier to use a focus aid in the screen. I don't understand why they suddenly stopped making them for autofocus cameras, some of us still use old manual lenses!

03-02-2007, 09:46 AM   #20

Will
Are you seriously? mean, was this just an insider joke :-)

Chancing focusing screens does not affect to your camera warranty more than chancing lenses do. They are made to be changed.

Pentax has several types of screens for K10D too.....

Of course if you damage the mirror or screen or somethig else inside the mirrorbox with inadequate tools you are using, maybe it will not be covered by warranty. But maybe you have sufficient insurance... :-)

With Pentax screens is delivered special tweezers to make this safely. But they are not essential, it can be done with any standard tweezers too.
03-02-2007, 10:24 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I'm guessing that you were satisfied with Pentax's handling of the problem with the first camera, then? I mean, someone else in your situation might have decided it was time to look into getting a Nikon or something.

Not sure what this means. Are you saying that everything works great if you simply focus on something close at hand first, and then move out to the thing you're actually interested in taking a photo of?

Will
The service took too long, especially if they were just going to exchange it, but other than that, I have no issue with the service.

What I am saying is about the focus error on the 31ltd, is that when I set the camera to manual focus and adjust the focus ring all the way out, then set it back to AF and focus on something nearby, the body consistently locks focus in the wrong spot (looks like a tiny bit of back focus, actually). The selected object is not quite in focus.

When I perform the same exercise but this time manually dialing the lens in as far as it can go, then changing back to AF and focusing on the same object, the focus is spot on.

The camera consistently shows this error when it has to focus in from infinity.

There is a thread running over at the other site about this exact behavior on a K10D with a DA 21ltd. I have not tested any other lenses or my second body yet.

As for giving up, well I suppose it could come to that, but I have been using Pentax products since 1977, and I have never experienced even one failure or problem with any of them during that time. Yes, I received a defective K10D, and I will never know what exactly was wrong with it, and now my K100D has failed (purchased Oct 2006) in a odd way (it thinks it always has a lens on it with the aperture ring set to a non-A position), so it appears that modern Pentax equipment is not as reliable as my older stuff. But I have owned, or do still own the following since about 1977:

MX, ME, ME Super, 2 x 645, PZ-1, ZX-5N, ZX-L, 2 x MZ-S, 2 x DS, K100D, 2 x K10D, plus many different lenses.

So, while I hope that Pentax can get their act together on manufacturing quality, having two problems in 30 years is not so bad as to make me leave all of the other things I love about the Pentax equipment.

Ray
03-02-2007, 10:49 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Harald Quote
Are you seriously? mean, was this just an insider joke.

Chancing focusing screens does not affect to your camera warranty more than chancing lenses do. They are made to be changed.
This is not the impression I have been given.

I understand that lenses are meant to be changed. That's why there is an easy little lens-release button on the front of the camera. But there is no similar quick-release for the whole focusing system. As I said, I myself have purchased the Pentax magnifying eyecup. That is clearly a user-serviceable part - just pry off the old eyecup and slide the new one on. You don't get inside the camera at all. My impression was that installing a Katz Eye is a significantly more intrusive operation. I've been taking computers apart for over twenty years. These days, most of what I do is legal. In the 1980s, most of what I did was "illegal" and voided the warranty - so you either didn't do it or you took the risk and were prepared to cover your tracks if you had to. I know that the Pentax operating manual suggests that you do not clear your sensor yourself. That's why I was asking about the Katz Eye.

Anyway, I accept Dana G's comment that it's safe, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Katz Eye folks. I think I'll probably try to get one when I can.

Will
03-02-2007, 11:27 AM   #23
Veteran Member

This is not the impression I have been given.

I understand that lenses are meant to be changed. That's why there is an easy little lens-release button on the front of the camera. But there is no similar quick-release for the whole focusing system. As I said, I myself have purchased the Pentax magnifying eyecup. That is clearly a user-serviceable part - just pry off the old eyecup and slide the new one on. You don't get inside the camera at all. My impression was that installing a Katz Eye is a significantly more intrusive operation. I've been taking computers apart for over twenty years. These days, most of what I do is legal. In the 1980s, most of what I did was "illegal" and voided the warranty - so you either didn't do it or you took the risk and were prepared to cover your tracks if you had to. I know that the Pentax operating manual suggests that you do not clear your sensor yourself. That's why I was asking about the Katz Eye.

Anyway, I accept Dana G's comment that it's safe, and I have heard nothing but good things about the Katz Eye folks. I think I'll probably try to get one when I can.

Will
Pentax sells screens and instructions about changing them, and there is nothing in the manuals about warranty issues and screen changing, so I cannot see how it voids your warranty to change the screen.

Of course, if you damage anything, that is a different story.

I remove mine now and again for dust cleaning reasons. It can be a bit tricky until you see how it is done, but it is quite simple once you figure it out.

Ray