Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 02:56 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
OK, I want to see some of these photos when you've shot the wedding!
I'll certainly post some Bob.

03-24-2019, 03:13 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Great advice, thanks. I just wish the 35-135 was as sharp as the 35-70, which some have described as "a bundle of primes". My 35-70 is a particularly good copy.
I think a little softness may be ok particularly on faces. The 71-135 extra range seems more important than the extra sharpness.

Do some test photos and decide what's best.
03-24-2019, 03:25 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I think a little softness may be ok particularly on faces. The 71-135 extra range seems more important than the extra sharpness.

Do some test photos and decide what's best.
Good point. Thanks, I'll do some tests.
03-24-2019, 03:30 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

For photos from the helicopter, I figured the K-5 and the DG70-300mm may be a good choice. That camera and lens combination always seem to work well.
I'd reconsider that. My experience is limited to (very) small winged aircraft, but for the supposedly even stronger vibrations in a helicopter, it may be beneficial to work differently than you normally do - don't press the camera to your face to stabilize it, but hold it loosely away to dampen vibrations transferred through your body. The good life view as on the K-1 will help, so would the extra weight. And, more importantly, the K-1 display also provides more maneuvering options for your camera while you are belted to your seat, to get a good view. I like to have my camera strap extended all the way, so I can still have it around my neck to secure the camera when reaching out as far as I can. I suggest to adjust and try that upfront. In the small plane, which my father flies, I can stick the lens through a very small window this way. The K-1 has the same pixel-pitch as the K-5 and no AA filter, so you don't lose anything but gain an option for wider field of view and potentially even a little more detail and marginally better high-ISO handling. One on the ground, you'll for sure have some time to switch your setup for the hike up - by normal standards, the distance and height should be well under 1h (my family does 400m/h on steeper ascents), so there's ample buffer in the estimated 1-1.5h, as there should for the 'not-so-keen' group.

The 35-135 is very noisy focusing if that matters. I'd still make it the primary lens unless you expect it to be heavily frowned on.
That's normally not an issue outdoors, unless the air is dead silent, which it only very rarely is on a mountain top.

So, I'm not planning on carrying too much gear.
What do you use to carry it? I'd strongly recommend a good backpack, it makes a world of a difference compared to a shoulder bag. Even a good shoulder bag with one camera and two lenses bothers me after 20min, but I happily carry my camera backpack with camera, several lenses, clothing, food&water for 2-3 people and a tripod all day.

03-24-2019, 03:54 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JensE Quote
I'd reconsider that. My experience is limited to (very) small winged aircraft, but for the supposedly even stronger vibrations in a helicopter, it may be beneficial to work differently than you normally do - don't press the camera to your face to stabilize it, but hold it loosely away to dampen vibrations transferred through your body. The good life view as on the K-1 will help, so would the extra weight. And, more importantly, the K-1 display also provides more maneuvering options for your camera while you are belted to your seat, to get a good view. I like to have my camera strap extended all the way, so I can still have it around my neck to secure the camera when reaching out as far as I can. I suggest to adjust and try that upfront. In the small plane, which my father flies, I can stick the lens through a very small window this way. The K-1 has the same pixel-pitch as the K-5 and no AA filter, so you don't lose anything but gain an option for wider field of view and potentially even a little more detail and marginally better high-ISO handling.
I think I need the extra reach of the K-5 and 70-300mm combination in the helicopter. Also, I'm less concerned about that getting a bump in the helicopter than the K-1! But, with flight height restrictions, and the aim being to get some shots of the hiking groups, I figured I need all the reach i can get. So, I need to consider this more, I think.

One on the ground, you'll for sure have some time to switch your setup for the hike up - by normal standards, the distance and height should be well under 1h (my family does 400m/h on steeper ascents), so there's ample buffer in the estimated 1-1.5h, as there should for the 'not-so-keen' group.
By account of experienced hikers who've done the climb, it's a 1.5hr to 2hr trek. So, I really want to keep the weight down. An experienced hiker / climber may do it in under an hour. The people I'm with, and myself - nah.

What do you use to carry it? I'd strongly recommend a good backpack, it makes a world of a difference compared to a shoulder bag. Even a good shoulder bag with one camera and two lenses bothers me after 20min, but I happily carry my camera backpack with camera, several lenses, clothing, food&water for 2-3 people and a tripod all day.
I have a very comfortable photography backpack which will accommodate both bodies and up to 8 lenses, the flash and batteries etc. But, I'd like to keep the weight down so want to limit the number of lenses I carry up. (and down) Later, when at the reception, I'll not have those limitations. I could carry a tripod but I would prefer to do without that, even though the backpack does have a tripod stowage strap / socket etc.
03-24-2019, 04:14 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I fully agree to only pack what you'll need - didn't mean to suggest to bring more, just wanted to make a point for a good backpack.

I think I need the extra reach of the K-5 and 70-300mm combination in the helicopter.
The point I was trying to make is that, due to having the same pixel pitch (K-1 crop is basically the same as K-5), you don't have any extra reach with a K-5 over the K-1, just a smaller angle of view at the same level of detail. Actually - I do have the same two cameras - the K-1 delivers a little more detail than the K-5 at the same focal length, similar to a K-5 IIs, due to the absence of an anti-alias filter. It's different with the K-3/ IIKp/K70, where you have higher pixel density than the K-1 and no AA filter and thus indeed extra reach.
03-24-2019, 04:35 AM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The advice about using the k1 is missing the explicit words: in crop mode. It was implied, but maybe that wasn't clear. The crop mode of the k1 is almost exactly the same as using a k5iis.

03-24-2019, 04:52 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The advice about using the k1 is missing the explicit words: in crop mode.
That's a matter of personal habits and workflow. I tend to shoot FF - the amount of captured detail is the same - and crop in post-processing, because this helps with some context in LV, similar to the viewfinder. I like that for scenes with movement, for static scenes on a tripod however, I'm also fine with the 'zoomed-in' final crop view. FF also helps to correct or fine-tune composition afterwards, something that I find very hard to get precisely right with the camera not at my eye, such as when shooting out of an open small-airplane window at an angle.
03-24-2019, 05:04 AM   #24
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I fully agree to only pack what you'll need - didn't mean to suggest to bring more, just wanted to make a point for a good backpack.

The point I was trying to make is that, due to having the same pixel pitch (K-1 crop is basically the same as K-5), you don't have any extra reach with a K-5 over the K-1, just a smaller angle of view at the same level of detail. Actually - I do have the same two cameras - the K-1 delivers a little more detail than the K-5 at the same focal length, similar to a K-5 IIs, due to the absence of an anti-alias filter. It's different with the K-3/ IIKp/K70, where you have higher pixel density than the K-1 and no AA filter and thus indeed extra reach.
Thank you - I'll have to do a test! Still worried about using the K-1II in the helicopter though.
03-24-2019, 05:08 AM - 2 Likes   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Tricky choice, Mark...

Given how much you like the F35-70 (and from photos I've seen, I can understand why), I'd be tempted to take that and the F70-210. It might result in a few more lens changes than if you opted for the F35-135, but I suspect you'd be happier with the image quality. Maybe take the 18-55 too, as you could use it in crop mode (or on your K-5) for wider angle shots...

Good luck with the shoot!
03-24-2019, 05:17 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Still worried about using the K-1II in the helicopter though.
I'd be much more concerned about the lens, an extended telephoto lens is much more prone to damage than the camera. The most dangerous time is normally getting in and out, so I always make sure to stow the camera safely then. My K-1 has seen a lot of hikes, far less than optimal storage in fully loaded backbacks, bicycle panniers, in a tight kayak, crashes on ski while on my back ... The only time it got "damaged" (AF needed adjustment), was when it dropped out of the car trunk onto concrete - I had forgotten to close the camera bag.
03-24-2019, 07:16 AM - 1 Like   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Tricky choice, Mark...

Given how much you like the F35-70 (and from photos I've seen, I can understand why), I'd be tempted to take that and the F70-210. It might result in a few more lens changes than if you opted for the F35-135, but I suspect you'd be happier with the image quality. Maybe take the 18-55 too, as you could use it in crop mode (or on your K-5) for wider angle shots...

Having just shot the 35-70, 35-135, and 70-210 at an event (trying out new K-1) I can support Mike's recommendation. The 35-70 is a bag full of primes and the 70-210 isn't weak either. The 35-135 is not in their class IMHO.

My other recommendation is to take as wide a lens as possible, even if MF, with you for the K-1. I took a Vivitar 19/3.8 that is MF and am very happy that I did for the group shots. It's very light and small weighing only 200g with caps.
03-24-2019, 07:38 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi Mark, know it's not on your list but that D-FA 28-105 is a very addicitive lens coupled with the K-1...tough to take off once on the camera. For me, this lens has a lot of unexplored potential almost becoming a "one-size-fits-all" when you consider the resolution and cropping capabilities when couple to the K-1.
03-24-2019, 08:29 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For photos from the helicopter, I figured the K-5 and the DG70-300mm may be a good choice. That camera and lens combination always seem to work well.
Unless there is something for which the telephoto is needed (zooming in on the rest of the trekking wedding party!?), I think wide(r) angle is going to be better. You probably won't be flying high in the 'copter, so not far from the ground/scenery.
03-24-2019, 12:11 PM   #30
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Tricky choice, Mark...

You're not helping with regard to the weight issue!

I'll leave the 70-210. It's very heavy and the DG70-300 seems to focus quicker. I think the answer is to take both the 35-70 and the 35-135.