Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2019, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #61
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks! Yes, the bride and groom are both into walking, tramping (hiking) and running. It was all thoroughly enjoyable.

I'll add that, of the 600 or so photos I took, I have kept about 450. Not because of focussing issues, but rather because I discarded poor composition shots and shots of strangers that wandered through whom I photographed because I did not know they were hikers unrelated to our party at first. From a technical perspective, nearly every photo is a keeper.

I took a few shots with the K-5 and it's very apparent which is the K-5 and which is the K-1.
I'm learning the same with my new K-1 vs my K-5IIs. I'm keeping the K-5IIs, put the K-3 in the mail today to its new home, but the K-1 does show it up in the images captured.

04-02-2019, 12:37 PM   #62
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm learning the same with my new K-1 vs my K-5IIs. I'm keeping the K-5IIs, put the K-3 in the mail today to its new home, but the K-1 does show it up in the images captured.
In your opinion, how does the K-3 compare with the K-1?
04-02-2019, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #63
Veteran Member

In your opinion, how does the K-3 compare with the K-1?
I kept the K5IIs. 😀 I used the K3 but never felt it was as good as the K5IIs in normal use. If I was shooting in low light I felt the K-5IIs was a better choice. AF was better in the K3 but not significantly IMHO. I did enjoy the extra card slot in the K3. In the end, I felt that the K-1 + K-5IIs made the most sense to me. I'm also selling my almost unused K-01 as redundant and I hope someone will actually use it regularly.

Last edited by Docrwm; 04-02-2019 at 01:22 PM.
04-02-2019, 01:46 PM - 2 Likes   #64
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Thanks Robert. I realised, once I saw how little space we had at the top, that I needed the 28mm end. However, later, when the light was poor, I switched to the 35-70mm as the 28-80 is not great for focussing in low light.
I love the shots & the couple! The bride wore muddy hiking boots! And they had a "cheese" cake!

(I can tell that the only wedge that might come between them is a cheddar. )

04-02-2019, 02:10 PM - 1 Like   #65
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
I love the shots & the couple! The bride wore muddy hiking boots! And they had a "cheese" cake!

(I can tell that the only wedge that might come between them is a cheddar. )
She did have to walk / climb four hours to get there! Hence the muddy boots. (She got changed into her dress near the summit.)
The "cake" was very nice indeed!
04-02-2019, 04:11 PM   #66
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I kept the K5IIs. 😀 I used the K3 but never felt it was as good as the K5IIs in normal use. If I was shooting in low light I felt the K-5IIs was a better choice. AF was better in the K3 but not significantly IMHO.
Interesting. I spoke with someone else some time back regarding their upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3 and that person felt that the K-3 was really fantastic, when it nailed all aspects of the shot, but that the K-5 was easier to get a good picture out of.
04-02-2019, 04:34 PM   #67
Veteran Member

Interesting. I spoke with someone else some time back regarding their upgrade from the K-5 to the K-3 and that person felt that the K-3 was really fantastic, when it nailed all aspects of the shot, but that the K-5 was easier to get a good picture out of.
It's hard to describe in many ways. On paper the K-3 is superior, period. In use, not so much IMHO. Nonetheless, the K-1 is excellent in every way so far, except it weighs so much more than the K-5IIs.

04-02-2019, 06:59 PM - 2 Likes   #68
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's hard to describe in many ways. On paper the K-3 is superior, period. In use, not so much IMHO. Nonetheless, the K-1 is excellent in every way so far, except it weighs so much more than the K-5IIs.
Interesting. My friend said very nearly the same thing. I don't mind the weight of the K-1. It's certainly noticeable with the battery grip attached, but having held it for hours on end, I have no complaints. It sits in the hand so very nicely.
04-02-2019, 07:06 PM - 1 Like   #69
Veteran Member

Interesting. My friend said very nearly the same thing. I don't mind the weight of the K-1. It's certainly noticeable with the battery grip attached, but having held it for hours on end, I have no complaints. It sits in the hand so very nicely.
Weekend before last I did a 3 day event with it. 4 hours the first day, 12 the second, and 10 the third. It's definitely heavier but I decided that the output from it is worth the extra weight. Added a neoprene strap with some cushion and give to it and that made a positive difference. I even shot the Sigma 150-500 on a monopod with it. Definitely superior to my K-3 (which is winging its way to its new owner as of this morning).
04-02-2019, 08:34 PM - 1 Like   #70
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Weekend before last I did a 3 day event with it. 4 hours the first day, 12 the second, and 10 the third. It's definitely heavier but I decided that the output from it is worth the extra weight. Added a neoprene strap with some cushion and give to it and that made a positive difference. I even shot the Sigma 150-500 on a monopod with it. Definitely superior to my K-3 (which is winging its way to its new owner as of this morning).
12 hours! Yeah, why not. It's not like I mind one arm being longer than the other!
04-03-2019, 03:07 AM   #71
Veteran Member

12 hours! Yeah, why not. It's not like I mind one arm being longer than the other!
Neck strap and two hands on the camera. 😎
04-03-2019, 03:33 AM   #72
Pentaxian

Enjoyed this thread immensely and the results. Glad to see another fan of the F series lenses and their renderings. The F 24-50 is an excellent all purpose F if you can find one.
04-03-2019, 11:54 AM   #73
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Neck strap and two hands on the camera. 😎
Sorry - it was a poor attempt at humour.
I have never found the weight of the camera to be a problem. Some older lenses are bloody heavy though. The (very robust) K-5 does feel rather puny alongside the K-1 though.
04-03-2019, 11:55 AM   #74
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lukulele Quote
Enjoyed this thread immensely and the results. Glad to see another fan of the F series lenses and their renderings. The F 24-50 is an excellent all purpose F if you can find one.
F24-50; There's one I've never seen.
04-03-2019, 12:01 PM   #75
Veteran Member

Sorry - it was a poor attempt at humour.
I have never found the weight of the camera to be a problem. Some older lenses are bloody heavy though. The (very robust) K-5 does feel rather puny alongside the K-1 though.
Probably me, I've been a bit humorless since the 12-24 turned up defective.....sorry.