Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #76
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Probably me, I've been a bit humorless since the 12-24 turned up defective.....sorry.
Ouch! What's the problem with the 12-24?

04-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #77
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ouch! What's the problem with the 12-24?
Intermittent electrical problems with MF-AF (along with the f) alternating randomly as its used on each camera. Cleaned contacts but its something more serious. KEH has sent me a refund, FedEx back to them, and apologized. They were the only ones with a Sigma 12-24DG in the US for sale so I'm back to trolling the sales forum and used gear for one.
04-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Intermittent electrical problems with MF-AF (along with the f) alternating randomly as its used on each camera. Cleaned contacts but its something more serious. KEH has sent me a refund, FedEx back to them, and apologized. They were the only ones with a Sigma 12-24DG in the US for sale so I'm back to trolling the sales forum and used gear for one.
Drat. At least you're not out of pocket.
04-03-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #79
Veteran Member

Drat. At least you're not out of pocket.
No, they are taking care of it. It's the scarcest lens I've tried to buy that I can recall. I like it (MF still works and I've taken a few pictures at different focal lengths and f settings) and it is certainly incredibly wide for FF. I'll just have to keep searching. I'm just unwilling to carry the 1040g DFA 15-30 behemoth of a UWA lens that costs more than I paid for my K-1 around. Geez the thing has nearly the same size/weight specs that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 has and it costs a fortune!!

04-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #80
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm just unwilling to carry the 1040g DFA 15-30 behemoth of a UWA lens that costs more than I paid for my K-1 around. Geez the thing has nearly the same size/weight specs that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 has and it costs a fortune!!
So, studio lens only?
04-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #81
Veteran Member

So, studio lens only?
It would seem so to me. Heck, the 70-200/2.8 really requires a monopod or tripod for any extended use. It weights 1150g, so only 90g more, and is not more than a couple cm longer. This trend toward huge, and heavy, lenses that are touted as being amazing optically is a bit daunting IMHO. Not that I begrudge anyone a high-end lens but it might be nice to have some variety in the choices other than having to go on a scavenger hunt when you don't want to pay more for the lens than the body. But then, I'm an old Scot.
04-03-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #82
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
It would seem so to me. Heck, the 70-200/2.8 really requires a monopod or tripod for any extended use. It weights 1150g, so only 90g more, and is not more than a couple cm longer. This trend toward huge, and heavy, lenses that are touted as being amazing optically is a bit daunting IMHO. Not that I begrudge anyone a high-end lens but it might be nice to have some variety in the choices other than having to go on a scavenger hunt when you don't want to pay more for the lens than the body. But then, I'm an old Scot.
There's a lot to be said for old lenses. And, I have a limited budget for glass so often, old lenses works really well, for me anyway!

04-04-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #83
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And, I have a limited budget for glass so often, old lenses works really well, for me anyway!
You got an extra budget for limited lenses only? Lucky you!
04-04-2019, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #84
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
You got an extra budget for limited lenses only? Lucky you!
Hahaha. Will have to sell the kids kidneys for those!
04-05-2019, 05:04 AM   #85
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Thanks Robert. I realised, once I saw how little space we had at the top, that I needed the 28mm end. However, later, when the light was poor, I switched to the 35-70mm as the 28-80 is not great for focussing in low light.
That's an unusual looking wedding "cake" Mark.

Cheesecake?

cheesy
04-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #86
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's an unusual looking wedding "cake" Mark.

Cheesecake?

:cheesy:
Indeed! We thought it was a novel idea. And very enjoyable, I might add.