Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2019, 12:03 PM   #76
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Probably me, I've been a bit humorless since the 12-24 turned up defective.....sorry.
Ouch! What's the problem with the 12-24?

04-03-2019, 12:05 PM   #77
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,238
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Ouch! What's the problem with the 12-24?
Intermittent electrical problems with MF-AF (along with the f) alternating randomly as its used on each camera. Cleaned contacts but its something more serious. KEH has sent me a refund, FedEx back to them, and apologized. They were the only ones with a Sigma 12-24DG in the US for sale so I'm back to trolling the sales forum and used gear for one.
04-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #78
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Intermittent electrical problems with MF-AF (along with the f) alternating randomly as its used on each camera. Cleaned contacts but its something more serious. KEH has sent me a refund, FedEx back to them, and apologized. They were the only ones with a Sigma 12-24DG in the US for sale so I'm back to trolling the sales forum and used gear for one.
Drat. At least you're not out of pocket.
04-03-2019, 12:25 PM - 1 Like   #79
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,238
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Drat. At least you're not out of pocket.
No, they are taking care of it. It's the scarcest lens I've tried to buy that I can recall. I like it (MF still works and I've taken a few pictures at different focal lengths and f settings) and it is certainly incredibly wide for FF. I'll just have to keep searching. I'm just unwilling to carry the 1040g DFA 15-30 behemoth of a UWA lens that costs more than I paid for my K-1 around. Geez the thing has nearly the same size/weight specs that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 has and it costs a fortune!!

04-03-2019, 04:52 PM   #80
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
I'm just unwilling to carry the 1040g DFA 15-30 behemoth of a UWA lens that costs more than I paid for my K-1 around. Geez the thing has nearly the same size/weight specs that my Tamron 70-200/2.8 has and it costs a fortune!!
So, studio lens only?
04-03-2019, 04:59 PM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
Docrwm's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Somewhere in the Southern US
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 12,238
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
So, studio lens only?
It would seem so to me. Heck, the 70-200/2.8 really requires a monopod or tripod for any extended use. It weights 1150g, so only 90g more, and is not more than a couple cm longer. This trend toward huge, and heavy, lenses that are touted as being amazing optically is a bit daunting IMHO. Not that I begrudge anyone a high-end lens but it might be nice to have some variety in the choices other than having to go on a scavenger hunt when you don't want to pay more for the lens than the body. But then, I'm an old Scot.
04-03-2019, 05:29 PM - 1 Like   #82
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
It would seem so to me. Heck, the 70-200/2.8 really requires a monopod or tripod for any extended use. It weights 1150g, so only 90g more, and is not more than a couple cm longer. This trend toward huge, and heavy, lenses that are touted as being amazing optically is a bit daunting IMHO. Not that I begrudge anyone a high-end lens but it might be nice to have some variety in the choices other than having to go on a scavenger hunt when you don't want to pay more for the lens than the body. But then, I'm an old Scot.
There's a lot to be said for old lenses. And, I have a limited budget for glass so often, old lenses works really well, for me anyway!
04-04-2019, 03:36 PM - 1 Like   #83
Senior Member




Join Date: May 2016
Location: Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Posts: 111
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
And, I have a limited budget for glass so often, old lenses works really well, for me anyway!
You got an extra budget for limited lenses only? Lucky you!

04-04-2019, 04:22 PM - 1 Like   #84
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ehrwien Quote
You got an extra budget for limited lenses only? Lucky you!
Hahaha. Will have to sell the kids kidneys for those!
04-05-2019, 05:04 AM   #85
Moderator
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter
Racer X 69's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: The Great Pacific Northwet
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 17,680
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Thanks Robert. I realised, once I saw how little space we had at the top, that I needed the 28mm end. However, later, when the light was poor, I switched to the 35-70mm as the 28-80 is not great for focussing in low light.
That's an unusual looking wedding "cake" Mark.

Cheesecake?

cheesy
04-05-2019, 09:45 PM   #86
Moderator
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
MarkJerling's Avatar

Join Date: May 2012
Location: Wairarapa, New Zealand
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,418
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
That's an unusual looking wedding "cake" Mark.

Cheesecake?

:cheesy:
Indeed! We thought it was a novel idea. And very enjoyable, I might add.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
advice, camera, dslr, f4-5.6, gear, k1ii, lens, photography, pm, post, powell, smc-f, summit, wedding
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Advice needed for shooting indoor flower show. Scotteroni Photographic Technique 15 04-01-2017 06:05 PM
Pricing advice for an unusual lens (1000/8) tpe Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 18 04-02-2012 11:22 AM
Advice needed- Lenses for a wedding k1000 Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 15 06-29-2011 12:03 PM
Shooting first wedding...need some advice DanLoc78 Photographic Technique 17 07-05-2008 08:13 AM
Shooting a wedding (need advice) BigSpender Pentax DSLR Discussion 35 03-29-2007 09:50 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:17 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top