Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 68 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2019, 07:34 PM   #46
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Larrymc Quote
Usually single pilot helicopter operations are flown from the right seat, most of the instruments are located there. What is the helicopter model? I'm sure the pilot will remind you but be aware of the main rotor blades height above any sloped surface and be very aware of the tail rotor blades if the helicopter pilot doesn't stop the rotor system.
Yes, thanks. We've already been sent some paperwork with do's and don'ts.

Not sure which machine it will be, but it's likely to be this one:

McDonnell Douglas 600N

or, alternatively, this one:

McDonnell Douglas Hughes 500E

(Not my photos)

03-24-2019, 08:30 PM   #47
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I see an awesome time had by all ahead. Good luck Mark!
03-24-2019, 08:49 PM - 2 Likes   #48
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I see an awesome time had by all ahead. Good luck Mark!
If only there were a way for us to vicariously enjoy the event too?
03-24-2019, 09:07 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
If only there were a way for us to vicariously enjoy the event too?
Live steam from Mark's go pro... Lol.

03-24-2019, 09:34 PM   #50
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Live steam from Mark's go pro... Lol.
No go pro's in this house. Strictly Pentax!
03-24-2019, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #51
PDL
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My 2¢:
Don't take too many lenses, when I had a set of more than three lenses per body on any major outing (I shot a few weddings on film with a thread mount camera) I found myself missing a few shots because I was changing lenses. (Please note that M42 mount lenses are slower to swap out than bayonet ) My fix was to carry more bodies, with each one connected to a given lens. On a trip to Yellowstone, back in the day, I had three bodies with three different emulsions and at that time I had only three lenses so it was not a big deal. I suggest that you carry a wide angle, normal and short telephoto as that would cover most of the wedding required action.

Just remember, you have to be flexible and quick enough to catch the important pictures and the people you are shooting don't really care about your equipment or your art. They are interested in your ability to document their day and in the end their day is what it is all about.

Now, why are you concerned about the K-1II? It seems to be a pretty robust body so it should hold up all right. Unless you get a chopper pilot who flies by "feel" .

Anyway, have fun, say hi from all of us here, breath and squeeze the shutter, trust your equipment, don't drink too much and don't fall out of the chopper as that would be bad. It's been a few years since I was on vacation in NZ, I still keep up with the news, weather, cricket matches and such. Beautiful place, nice people, great beer, good food and lots of birds (I like the bell bird). Please note that most if not all of us would like to tag along and we are jealous.
03-25-2019, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #52
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

On the McDonnell Douglas Hughes 500E you can see the kind of window which I was referring to earlier, where LV on a tillable display comes in really handy. Not sure if there's one on the other side. Given the size of it, I would repeat Sandy's recommendation for a secure carrying system. Shooting through the glass, you generally need a decently fast aperture, so that scratches/dirt/reflections etc. 'disappear' when you get close enough. Again best tested, e.g. through a car window, upfront.

03-25-2019, 07:40 AM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Yes, thanks. We've already been sent some paperwork with do's and don'ts.

Not sure which machine it will be, but it's likely to be this one:

McDonnell Douglas 600N

or, alternatively, this one:

McDonnell Douglas Hughes 500E

(Not my photos)
You'll definitely be in the left seat with either one of these. I flew the forerunner of these aircraft the US Army OH-6 back in the 70s. If the collective lever (it comes out of the cockpit floor at an angle) is still mounted in the left cockpit be careful of putting anything including your hand on it while in flight, it will probably be removed if its in civilian service though.
04-01-2019, 07:26 PM - 11 Likes   #54
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Well, thank you for all the advice. All went well.

In the end, I (mostly) used a lens I forgot I had - SMC-F 28-80. That, and the 70-300mm Sigma, the 50mm F1.7 and my old favourite, the SMC-F 35-70.

The K-1 performed fantastically and almost all shots are beautifully sharply focussed. The wedding ceremony was right at the mountain peak, so it was a bit of a challenge, weather wise.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1 Mark II  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
View Picture EXIF
04-02-2019, 02:46 AM - 1 Like   #55
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, thank you for all the advice. All went well.

In the end, I (mostly) used a lens I forgot I had - SMC-F 28-80. That, and the 70-300mm Sigma, the 50mm F1.7 and my old favourite, the SMC-F 35-70.

The K-1 performed fantastically and almost all shots are beautifully sharply focussed. The wedding ceremony was right at the mountain peak, so it was a bit of a challenge, weather wise.
Those shots are awesome, Mark. Great job!

Did you enjoy the helicopter ride?
04-02-2019, 03:19 AM - 1 Like   #56
Veteran Member

Outstanding! The 35-70 is a gem but you got a lot from the 28-80.
04-02-2019, 11:59 AM - 1 Like   #57
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Those shots are awesome, Mark. Great job!

Did you enjoy the helicopter ride?
Thanks Mike!

Yes, enormously. What's a solid 4 hour walk / climb up, took us less than 4 minutes!
04-02-2019, 12:05 PM - 3 Likes   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Outstanding! The 35-70 is a gem but you got a lot from the 28-80.
Thanks Robert. I realised, once I saw how little space we had at the top, that I needed the 28mm end. However, later, when the light was poor, I switched to the 35-70mm as the 28-80 is not great for focussing in low light.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
04-02-2019, 12:09 PM - 1 Like   #59
Veteran Member

Thanks Robert. I realised, once I saw how little space we had at the top, that I needed the 28mm end. However, later, when the light was poor, I switched to the 35-70mm as the 28-80 is not great for focussing in low light.
Very nice. Very nature friendly seeming wedding. Glad you got those shots, they're terrific.
04-02-2019, 12:18 PM   #60
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Very nice. Very nature friendly seeming wedding. Glad you got those shots, they're terrific.
Thanks! Yes, the bride and groom are both into walking, tramping (hiking) and running. It was all thoroughly enjoyable.

I'll add that, of the 600 or so photos I took, I have kept about 450. Not because of focussing issues, but rather because I discarded poor composition shots and shots of strangers that wandered through whom I photographed because I did not know they were hikers unrelated to our party at first. From a technical perspective, nearly every photo is a keeper.

I took a few shots with the K-5 and it's very apparent which is the K-5 and which is the K-1.