Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #16
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Perhaps you can find a forum member near you with a K 1 or K 1 II and arrange to meet so you can try the camera out ?

03-28-2019, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
If you love your lenses...keep them.

If you have a jones for a new camera, buy what you can afford.

If you can't afford the camera without selling gear, be careful to only sell the gear you don't love.

Steve

(...values clarification...)
Thank you for this advice. This actually made me think about what it is that I love. Do I love gear? Or do I love the process of photography? Hmm, some soul searching is required...

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:14 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ChatMechant Quote
Do whatever you need to do, but get a K-1. Especially since you like old lenses and bokeh. It's in a different league than the k5 or any crop body that I know of.
and that's what I've been thinking of too - I am not using these lenses in the way they were meant to be used.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by vector Quote
Disclaimer: I am a total novice, and not even a good one.

I have a K1, K3, and K5. The K3 was a big upgrade over the K5 for me, and I hardly touch the K5 anymore, should really sell it. I loved my K3, until I got a K1... now I hardly touch the K3 and when I compare perfectly decent shots from the K3 vs the K1, I just like that full frame look. Honestly I couldn't go on flickr or 500px and tell you what was or wasn't FF vs APSC, but I do test shots side by side between the 2 and maybe it is psychological bias to justify my unnecessary purchase, but I am personally happier and more satisfied with my K1 images. Beyond the images I just like holding and using the K1. It just feels great, handles great, I love the controls. It is just better and I enjoy it. All purely personal and subjective I know, but this is a hobby for me and enjoyment is why I do it.

I also like to use and handle old manual lenses and have a small collection of Takumars. I just like them, and when I have time to be slow and deliberate I shoot with them. But mostly, I don't. The AF lenses are just faster, less tedious and contribute more to my joy of shooting. I personally would go for whatever brings you the most joyful photography experience. If it's Fuji and awesome manual focus lenses, do it. Full frame K1 is also a very enjoyable experience.
I know the feeling - I have a Pentax 645 and a Mamiya RB67. While it's not a direct comparison as I use different lenses, but I think I do like the bigger negative... Whether it's psychological or not, hard to say. But I don't shoot 35mm film anymore because 120 just looks so much better. Enjoyment is definitely an important consideration!

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:22 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tvdtvdtvd Quote
I too consider myself a lens man. I have over 30 unique lenses useable on K-mount, plus another couple dozen adaptable
to use on the Q. I love the subtle differences each lens can bring to the table, which is why I own over a dozen different 50mm
lenses. Theoretically, I should only need one 50mm. I've isolated those lenses I could easily sell, but still find it difficult to
pare down my collection of 50mm to less than six or so lenses.

However, I use only one camera body for 95%+ of everything I shoot. (Currently a K-3).

Sooooo...., for me I would want to be really certain the Fuji camera/user experience met with my satisfaction before
I decided to switch bodies. Having access to that Ultron might be wonderful, but what would I give up? What would
I miss?

I rarely bring one body, usually 2 (or 3, if I can get away with it). K-5, and a P645 or RB67. Which is why I am not sure I should buy another crop body as in that case it will be K-5 or Fuji plus P645 or RB67... I suspect Fuji will get less use than K-5... Another vote for selling, then.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:25 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
For landscape and portrait, hard to beat the K-1 or now the K-1 II. Seems like the right move for your needs. Furthermore, since this design incorporates a crop mode for the use of crop lenses, you will no longer need your K-5. The crop mode provides about the same pixel density as the K-5, but will have better fine detail in images due to discarding the AA filter. I noticed this when I got my K-5 IIs compared to the original K-5.

Another factor- the crop mode turns a good 50mm lens into a FL of a more ideal portrait lens when used in this format. So you'd have very good options either way.

As to your old quaint lenses, I have no experience, but others appear to be offering good advice for using them.
You are right about that, K-1 seems like the best fit for my needs.

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
I'd sell off some. I recently started to sell some gear and it feels great when you get into it. There will be more weird lenses to acquire in the future!
Thanks! I know the feeling. I've sold most of the stuff I could, or would. These are the last two... Well, that and my first ever prime - M50 f1.7 which I won't sell as it's far more valuable than the $20 I can get for it...

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:42 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
If you're thinking of buying another camera to shoot these (and any other) full frame, manual focus lenses, I'd recommend buying a full frame mirrorless body - even if you have to choose an older model. I occasionally shoot my vintage lenses on my K-3, and that works just fine - but you miss out on so much of the individual rendering character by restricting yourself to APS-C, IMHO. I mostly shoot my vintage lenses on a Sony A7 MkII. I prefer almost everything about my Pentax gear, but the A7II lets me experience those lenses in a way that the K-3 can't, due to a combination of the sensor size and EVF viewfinder which makes for easier accurate focusing.

As to whether you should keep the lenses or sell them and get a K-1... That's a tough one. The K-1 is clearly an awesome camera from everything I've read in these forums. I would love to own one myself - that or the K-1II... either would do just fine But, like you, I am more excited by lenses than bodies. I don't shoot all of my lenses regularly. Some only come out of the cupboard every few weeks or even months... when I miss using them, basically. And that's the thing; there comes a point where I eventually miss shooting each of my lenses (especially the really good ones). So I'm pretty certain that if I sold any of the decent ones, some weeks or months later I would regret that.

If I were you, I'd keep the lenses. It sounds like you got a great deal on them, and you're also happy with their optical performance. Replacing them in future would likely be expensive, and the copies you get might not be as good as those you currently own...
You are right, a full frame mirrorless body would be great. I wish Pentax made one... I do want to have a mirrorless body to use with lenses I can't adapt. In addition to these two lenses I also have a Jupiter 11 in LTM mount. That one was made in 1952 so theoretically it could have Zeiss glass. It has been sitting waiting for a mirrorless body

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:44 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
Yes I agree. It seams like getting a lens you love is "PRICELESS" they just can't be replaced. The camera body is replaceable. IMHO

Photobill
Agree with you 100%. Plus a lens appreciates (unless you drop it) while the body depreciates... Bad investment!

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clickclick Quote
My inclination would be to keep the lenses and save the pennies so you can buy the K-1 too. As touched on a bit above, do remember the difference in FOV. I find some lenses, like my Sigma Art 35, I use more on my K3 II, but others like my 43, go back and forth between formats more often. That may not make a lot of sense given how close they are, but that's why I mention it. Somehow I find the personalities of the different lenses land me on different bodies than I first anticipated. Also, while some say they don't care about the size and weight difference, for me, I find I do (6 messed up discs split between neck and lumbar). My K3-II with DA* 16-50 and 55-300PLM are much easier for me to grab for a walk with the dog than my K-1, even if I decide to travel light and just have the DA^ 60-250 mounted on my K-1 and something like the 43 and an SMC 24 in my pockets.
That would be ideal, the sheep would be alive and the wolves fed, as the Russians put it Thanks for your advice!

---------- Post added 03-28-19 at 07:48 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
Perhaps you can find a forum member near you with a K 1 or K 1 II and arrange to meet so you can try the camera out ?
But that would mean face to face interaction! That's so 20th century! We don't do that any more!!!

As my 9 year old daughter responds when I tell her how we used to do something : "yeah, but you were born in the 19th century!"
04-01-2019, 11:43 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Quick update : I decided to sell the lenses. I took them out to take photos yesterday. The enna munchen felt so nice. I tried to tell myself that I should mount it on my fuji xa1. But I did... The focus ring is so nice... So I decided not to sell it knew that would happen... Selling one for now and saving for the k-1