Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2019, 08:22 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5iis auto white balance problem

When using auto white balance it seems all my images come out 800 to 1,000 degrees cooler than they should. here is an example . While I like the cooler temperature it is not as accurate as the lightroom adjuted one.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-13-2019, 10:03 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hmmmm . . . I would dispute the 'accurate' part of your statement. The second picture you show, on my monitor, looks to me to be too yellow. The first, to me, looks realistic.
04-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
Hmmmm . . . I would dispute the 'accurate' part of your statement. The second picture you show, on my monitor, looks to me to be too yellow. The first, to me, looks realistic.
I as well see it that way

---------- Post added 04-13-19 at 11:51 PM ----------

I as well see it that way. Was this shot in Raw? What color preset did you use. Vibrant, natural, portrait ect?
04-14-2019, 12:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Photobill Quote
I as well see it that way

---------- Post added 04-13-19 at 11:51 PM ----------

I as well see it that way. Was this shot in Raw? What color preset did you use. Vibrant, natural, portrait ect?
This was shot in raw using auto white balance. The second was adjusted using lightroom cloudy setting. Non of the settings in lightroom adjust the color as cool as as shot white balance

04-14-2019, 01:03 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
This was shot in raw using auto white balance. The second was adjusted using lightroom cloudy setting. Non of the settings in lightroom adjust the color as cool as as shot white balance
AWB in camera gets it right most of the time but depending what colours are in your scene it can sometimes not choose what you would consider ideal. As you shoot raw this is no problem as you can adjust during processing to achieve your desired result.

Comparing Adobe preset WB settings to Pentax (or indeed any other raw converter settings) is not going to help as they are all different. There is not an industry wide setting for "cloudy" for example.

I usually use a fixed WB "daylight" for my shots so that when processing all my raw images have identical WB and i can batch adjust if needed.

The setting you actually choose to use is a preference, there is no right or wrong answer. As you have seen from the previous replies some prefer the cooler look of AWB setting compared to the warmer look of the cloudy setting.

In the days of film a photographer may have used a warm-up filter to achieve the result of your second picture.
04-14-2019, 04:11 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Same here. I've measure color temperatures of natural light at different times of the day (taking photos of a gray card exposed to the light). The color temperature calculated by Pentax AWB is much closer to color temperature measured on a gray card, than the color temperature automatically calculated by post processing software. I don't know how Pentax does, but to me it seems that they got it right.

---------- Post added 14-04-19 at 13:17 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
When using auto white balance it seems all my images come out 800 to 1,000 degrees cooler than they should. here is an example . While I like the cooler temperature it is not as accurate as the lightroom adjuted one.
You can know what's the most correct color temperature by photographing a gray card and keeping it for later reference in LR.
04-14-2019, 04:24 AM   #7

Hello. I have K-5 and all photos always with surplus green, and red almost always to aspire to the crimson. I remove almost always with the daylight control and when processing in Lightroom I do correction in Camera Calibration of a shadow +5 and green +5 and only in this case it turns out to get rid of surplus of the green. In the automatic mode of balance white I recommend to remove in general never because there are shades of any wrong flowers which when processing can't be cleaned in any way
04-14-2019, 08:12 AM   #8
Resident fiddler
Loyal Site Supporter

To me the 1st is only slightly cooler (than would seem right, of course... I have no way of comparing it to the "ground truth"), while the second is definitely much too warm.
First step I would suggest is to calibrate your monitor and see if that makes any difference.

Caveat: my monitor has been profiled with a Spyder 3 colorimeter, which some say can be a bit on the warm side in certain occasions.
But I've generally found a good-to-very-good correspondence between what I see on my monitor and what gets printed or is displayed in other, calibrated, monitors.

04-14-2019, 09:48 AM   #9
Pentaxian

It looks to be an obviously overcast day, which would naturally result in a cooler balance. I too like the original best, unless in reality the sun was trying to come through, which your fixed-up result seems to suggest.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-15-2019 at 12:32 PM.
04-14-2019, 12:25 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by LensBeginner Quote
First step I would suggest is to calibrate your monitor and see if that makes any difference.
That's the first thing I thought of also. If you are using Windows on your computer, it has some rudimentary white balance settings. Also, if you have a non-motherboard video card, its driver software may have white balance adjustments. I just recently upgraded from a K10D to a K-5 IIs. Now my weak link in my photo viewing chain is my cheap TN technology monitor. My next 'camera' related purchase needs to be a wide-gamut IPS technology monitor.
04-14-2019, 01:04 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Why not just set a Custom White Balance? Its very easy.
04-14-2019, 08:41 PM   #12

I've had great results with this item
ExpoDisc EXPOD2-82 82 mm 2.0 Professional White Balance Filter
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00O4CWC4C/ref=emc_b_5_i?tag=pentaxforums-20&th=1

I use it outdoors mostly (use grey card indoors) go to custom WB, put over your lens, point at the light source, snap the photo & hit OK your all done.
I shoot RAW+ my wife does no photo editing and on occasion she needs a photo when I'm not around thus I need a properly WB jpeg for her at all times.

Good luck
Photobill