Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2019, 01:48 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looking at the 3rd photo I see a couple of fine shots showing sharply on that green. Most of us are likely to only get one of these right. You have accurate focus and an accurate swing. NICE!

04-15-2019, 05:41 AM - 2 Likes   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

My *istdD and K10D were working fine. I had not used them for years so last week donated both to Art students. I gave them few lenses also so they can actually take pictures.
04-15-2019, 06:47 AM   #18
Pentaxian

I think all of my Pentax cameras are about 10 years old, give or take, and all are working just fine. The only one I have any issues with is the Samsung GX-20 (K20D clone), which has a sticky memory card door. I have to simultaneously twist the release and gently pry it with my fingernail to get it open. Once it's open, I can work the release mechanism a few times and it'll be fine until it sits closed again for a while.
6 Days Ago   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by From1980 Quote
Looking at the 3rd photo I see a couple of fine shots showing sharply on that green. Most of us are likely to only get one of these right. You have accurate focus and an accurate swing. NICE!
Thanks,
But I need to confess. We where playing an adjacent hole. My foursome only gets shots that close about twice a year 🙌

But back on original topic, I have always thought camera equipment was like a car. If you get past the break in period OK you can look forward to many good years. Lemons have a tendency to show up right out of the box.

Keep shooting your old equipment
Photobill

6 Days Ago   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
I've read about some camera losing memory of clock time due to some internal battery being depleted. Does leaving a D-LI90 in the camera avoid discharge of the internal battery used to keeping the clock running?
Is there an advantage to leave a D-LI90 inside the camera for storage? Should the battery be removed before storing the camera? ...
My K3 internal battery has that internal clock loosing power thing if I remove a battery from the camera for more than 24hrs. A few hours to over a night without a battery seems to be fine. So I always leave a battery in the camera after use. I have not seen any bad effect by leaving a battery in the body (yet).

Memory card slot 1 is (a bit) sticky now when compaired to slot 2. I guess it is over used.

Text (white color) on buttons peeled off. left, right arrows often goes first. Focus point, menu, lv, af follows soon.

Other than that..., it is the battery that comes with my K3 causing mirror flop problem. I have 2 older batteries from my K5 which never cause a mirror flop to my K3.

Last edited by tokyoscape; 6 Days Ago at 04:24 PM.
6 Days Ago   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
We know that shutters get used up to a point where they fail, or other things like aperture level block failure after hundred of thousand of actions, or external wear and damage when being used, that lead to camera end of life.

Now, considering a user who take good care of his/her Pentax DSLR equipment, only a few thousand shutter actuations per year, what other part of the camera would start to fail?

I've read about some camera losing memory of clock time due to some internal battery being depleted. Does leaving a D-LI90 in the camera avoid discharge of the internal battery used to keeping the clock running?
Is there an advantage to leave a D-LI90 inside the camera for storage? Should the battery be removed before storing the camera? How about the experience of some people still using an istD or K10D, did they have to replace the internal battery or is it still working after 10 years?
Although I donít use it much any more, my *istD still worked a week ago when I put batteries in it, bought in December 2003, and my PZ1 still works, I bought it in 1991. If not used much, I would expect the flash capacitor to fail, or at least take incredibly long to charge the first few times
6 Days Ago   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I would expect the flash capacitor to fail, or at least take incredibly long to charge the first few times
Oh yes, that's a point for cameras with built in flash.

---------- Post added 16-04-19 at 08:39 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
My K3 internal battery has that internal clock loosing power thing if I remove a battery from the camera for more than 24hrs. A few hours to over a night without a battery seems to be fine.
So, that confirm that the main battery (D-LI90) is somehow connected to the RTC supply. That's good news , because it means that one can still set the time/date to correct value even on an old camera.

---------- Post added 16-04-19 at 08:41 ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoscape Quote
Text (white color) on buttons peeled off. left, right arrows often goes first. Focus point, menu, lv, af follows soon.
I can imagine that. The user familiar with Pentax interface will still remember what buttons do.
6 Days Ago   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My Kx also has the annoying habit of forgetting the date and time when changing batteries. Also, the bottom cover has cracked at the screw mounting next to the battery door. To keep the battery springs from pushing the door open, some duct tape is needed. A used bottom cover is worth about $100, if some ebay sellers are to be believed. There are also issues with AF mode not kicking in that usually goes away after wiping down the lens mount contacts.

The end of the road is near, I am afraid. Then again, I only paid $50 for it two years ago. I have probably gotten my money's worth now.

6 Days Ago   #24

Just want to add in something important for moderate to heavy user, Be careful not to lose those tinny screw at the bottom of the camera unnoticed. It can unscrew itself.

My K5 lose 2 screws at one of the corner from years of use without checking. That will surely compromise the WR of the body. While it is a quick fix, just screw in a similar size screw but if you don’t know you lose them and use the camera in rain, you will likely damage your camera.
6 Days Ago   #25
retired sw engineer
Loyal Site Supporter

I notice that no one here has said anything about the K-30/50/s2/70 line.

I switch out the AA batteries in my K-30 every week, and would do the same thing if I were still using the DL-ion battery, as a protection against the battery's going bad unnoticed; I keep batteries in it because for some time, depriving it of power caused the clock to restart. Yes, the aperture control was failing when I got my KP, but that is OK because both the lenses I use with it regularly now have aperture-rings.