Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2019, 05:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

K5IIs under exposes

Ir seems to be a problem in a lot of situations. These shots were taken with the around noon with the sun behind me.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
04-15-2019, 05:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Yes, from the EXIF as well as the image, that's underexposed. Might you have bumped the exposure compensation?
04-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
Yes, from the EXIF as well as the image, that's underexposed. Might you have bumped the exposure compensation?
I don't believe so. I will have to test further to make sure
04-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Besides accidental EC, another common cause is the AE meter set to "spot." (In these two images, the meter would seen just the sky and exposed the image just for that.)

04-15-2019, 06:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Besides accidental EC, another common cause is the AE meter set to "spot." (In these two images, the meter would seen just the sky and exposed the image just for that.)
I had it set to center weighted
04-15-2019, 06:26 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote
I had it set to center weighted
Any reason you're not using matrix metering in a situation like this? In any case, since the center isn't the brightest in this shot, it's a little weird that it turned out so dark.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-15-2019, 08:03 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Were you using a tripod ?

04-15-2019, 08:10 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I don't believe so. I will have to test further to make sure
I believe the EXIF will show whether exposure compensation was activated if you delve deep enough into the file.
04-15-2019, 08:16 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

High noon
Sunny day
Significant sky
Center weighted
Light clouds and/or white walls in the center 2/3rd of the frame

f/8, 1/1000s, ISO 100

Sunny 16 would indicate the same, but 1/500s so the exposure is close...only 1 stop under if going that route. A chimp of histogram looks to have indicated about 2 stops under in the field and possible even 2.5-3.0 stops to bring up the values of the barn and clouds, though either of those could have been addressed in PP.

This looks to be reasonable performance for center-weighted metering based on the contents of the scene.

Steve
04-15-2019, 08:20 PM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bkpix Quote
I believe the EXIF will show whether exposure compensation was activated if you delve deep enough into the file.
No EC according to the EXIF. This appears to be the classic wide-angle landscape trap where the meter gets fooled by sky. I suspect the images could have been salvaged from the RAW in PP.

Steve
04-15-2019, 08:21 PM - 2 Likes   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Were you using a tripod ?
Brilliant! The next question is whether the eyepiece was open to direct sun. If so, that is the smoking gun.

Note: Not to diminish the fact of the obvious underexposure of the photos in the original post or the possibility that the camera meter might be failing.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-16-2019 at 08:52 AM.
04-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

K5IIs under exposes.It seems to be a problem in a lot of situations.
I was having the same problem when I got my new (to me) K-5 IIs recently. Different compositions, lighting situations, etc. Switched to matrix metering and the problem went away.
04-17-2019, 12:31 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can see no particular reason for these scenes to be shot using center-weighted metering. The default matrix metering should be fine. That said, the K-5 series does tend to slightly under expose, I'd say about 1/3 stop or so, which is not always noticeable. But the examples shown here are way off from that.

And yes, stray light entering through the VF eyepiece can wreak havoc on exposure!

The K-5 IIs is a great camera.
04-17-2019, 09:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Center weighted metering with the majority of the center being sky......no mystery here I would say.

Evaluative/Matrix metering is designed for scenes like this.

It would be interesting to shoot the same scenes again with matrix metering then spot metering for the grass. Then review the results.
04-22-2019, 04:27 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Ir seems to be a problem in a lot of situations. These shots were taken with the around noon with the sun behind me.
It’s definitely preserving the highlights. Does your camera do this with every lens or just with the 21?