Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 08:27 AM   #1

What to do?

I currently have a K10D and recently purchased my hubby a K200D. It appears he isn't using his nearly as much as I had thought. I was considering selling selling both and getting the K20d and a 18-50mm 2.8! Is this wise?

10-05-2008, 08:41 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
madisonphotogrl,
I think that you will need more money, then you can get for the cameras used. If you do it , make him think that it is his idea. LOL

Dave

QuoteOriginally posted by madisonphotogrl Quote
I currently have a K10D and recently purchased my hubby a K200D. It appears he isn't using his nearly as much as I had thought. I was considering selling selling both and getting the K20d and a 18-50mm 2.8! Is this wise?
10-05-2008, 08:50 AM   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If it were me I would keep the K10D and trade the K200D for a lens.
Maybe it is just me but I get better results with a K10D than a K20D (pics looks sharper, crisper, colors spot on). For one thing I suspect that the shake reduction algorithm of the K20D isn't compatible with my shakes!
10-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #4

Original Poster
Maybe you are right. Do you have problems with reds in your pictures with the K10D? I will take a picture of a red rose and all will be crisp but the petals on the rose. It only happens with reds too.

10-05-2008, 09:17 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

Maybe you are right. Do you have problems with reds in your pictures with the K10D? I will take a picture of a red rose and all will be crisp but the petals on the rose. It only happens with reds too.
I can't pick a specific problem; I've just noticed that I'm spending more time in pp getting the white balance of K20D RAW shots right, and for some images I simply have to give up. I have no issue with the K10D.
10-05-2008, 12:54 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

If you're content with the K10D, there won't be much you'll gain by going K20D. Agreed, with whatever you'll get for the K200D, you should go for good quality glass that you'll use.
10-05-2008, 02:02 PM   #7
Veteran Member

If you do plenty of protraits or landscape, k20d is more forgiving to give some freedom for errors. A good lens sounds good too.

It is good to rid one of these two cameras unless you want a backup.
10-05-2008, 04:09 PM   #8
Inactive Account

I'm not sure you can close your finance option with selling both bodies and buying k20d plus lens... I don't think you'll even cover just cost of k20d.

I'd keep k10d, sell k200d, save something and invest into lenses, 50-135 for example or primes if you preffer, let's say that nice 77 1.8 ltd...

10-06-2008, 10:28 PM   #9
Damn Brit

In light of your previous thread; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/36894-feeling-foolish-gulity.html wouldn't it be sensible to sell all your camera equipment, pay off some of your debts and then start again with the K2000?

I wish I could afford to impulse buy a new camera kit every month.
10-07-2008, 07:40 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
... wouldn't it be sensible to sell all your camera equipment, pay off some of your debts and then start again with the K2000? ...
"Sell not cameras to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." - Bentax Franklin ca. 1738

Personally, I would rather sell my Jeep and ride the bus than part with my camera. Then again I rarely buy on credit any more; my mortgage is the only current debt I carry. I have never been comfortable with spending money I do not have without gaining tangible leverage in the process.

/rant on/
When Wall Street has "between 52 and 62 Trillion Dollars, we don't really know the exact number..." tied up in credit swaps it's no great wonder that the general populous is feeling a serious pinch in the wallet. Visa has craftily molded the western world in to a debtor society and recent events show that even translates up to the wizz kids of the financial world. Sad.
/rant off/
10-07-2008, 09:32 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I agree to a certain extent...

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
In light of your previous thread; https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/everything-else/36894-feeling-foolish-gulity.html wouldn't it be sensible to sell all your camera equipment, pay off some of your debts and then start again with the K2000?

I wish I could afford to impulse buy a new camera kit every month.
I agree with Gary, except I don't think you need to sell off everything. Keep whichever body you like the best and sell the other. Since your lenses aren't terribly expensive ones, go ahead and hang on to them. Use the proceeds from the sale of the body to put towards that credit card bill. Don't buy any more camera gear until the credit card is paid off--use what you have and make it work for you. Once you're out from under the credit card, then you can start saving for better lenses.

HTH,
Heather
10-07-2008, 10:13 AM   #12
Veteran Member

sit tight.

If I was in your situation...wait, I sort of am...I would keep your current bodies and enjoy the heck out of them until the next thing from Pentax comes along that you absolutely can not live without, and then make the move. Fact is, both the K10D and ther K200D are fine cameras and there is no sense in switching up to the K20D just to get the newer number.
If/When Pentax releases something that is a huge step up, which I am sure they will within the next 6-12 months, then make the move. Otherwise you may find yourself making the switch yet again...or at least having the burning desire to do so.

Jason
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM   #13
jeffkpotter

I would do it in a New York second, but I don't want to get you in trouble! The economy is tight.
I really struggled with making the decision to upgrade from the K10d to the K20d and had to sell
my airbrushes and view camera to do it. It hurt bigtime but I'm so glad I did it!
10-07-2008, 04:57 PM   #14
Veteran Member

You really need to get out of debt. If your husband isn't using his camera keep your favorite of the two and sell the other.......and immediately pay that money to the credit card.
You have to be careful on a forum like this. Someone is always buying something and that's cool. Bob bought this and Joe buys that and you find yourself wanting both! You run out and buy them.....and you're deeper in debt. Sure you can cover the payments but then George buys the new DA* 60-250 for only $1300 and you get one too! Alan gets a K20D and by golly you need that. And it's getting harder to make those payments and then the durn car breaks down and there isn't enough money left in your limit to fix it and you have to walk to the restaurant to eat but wait, you've missed a couple days of work trying to figure out how to get the car running..........
Why in the world do you NEED the K20D? For a National Geo assignment or because Jay has one?
I have a DA* 300/4, do you know what I did to get it? I worked overtime most of the summer, never went fishing till September (I fish a LOT, usually), never ate out once and on top of that I ate cheap TV dinners most nights. I live in a dinky little house and drive a 18 year old rusty rig with 196,000 miles on it. The kids are grown and out of the house and I'm divorced....and I'm out of debt. But I had to work hard at it, real hard. And I sacrificed. A lot. And it was worth it.
All my friends live in nicer houses and drive better cars and trucks than me, but that's not important to me. I like my house and my rig gets me anywhere I want to go.
I just wish I had a 77Limited like Jay and you know what? I'll get one when the time is right and I still won't be in debt.
When you throw those shackles of debt from your shoulders you'll be amazed at how much money you'll have to do the fun things you like to do, without feeling foolish or guilty.:-)
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM   #15
jeffkpotter

>When you throw those shackles of debt from your shoulders you'll be amazed at how much >money you'll have to do the fun things you like to do, without feeling foolish or guilty.

Eaglerapids is a truly wise sage. I have to agree. Forum stimulated LBA, or upgrade fever, can
be detrimental to your financial health, and can obscure your judgment. I should know.
Still, I live off of my camera and the K20d has helped me greatly, but don't let that compel you to
spend more. The K10d is a corker and a classic!