Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
04-16-2019, 07:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Pentax K70 or KP with the 18/135 Pros & Cons

What are the PROS & CONS of these two cameras using the same lens? The KP costs more than the K70. I picked up several different over the past several years. I am interested in these two cameras in the future. I have a Canon 70D now I am playing with now. I read a lot about Pentax and have a couple or friends who have Pentax and really like them.
For those who have these cameras what do you feel are the pros and cons of them? For me I do mostly out door photography animals, Birds. Lakes and Rivers and forests and parks and zoos. I do not do much video at all so I do not need a camera for video I can play with it from time to time. Feed back greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill

04-16-2019, 08:06 PM - 1 Like   #2

Welcome to Pentax!

About two years ago, I moved from the Pentax K-x to the K-70 with the 18-135mm WR, and I'm very happy with this combination. I've since added the DA 50mm prime, the 55-300mm PLM, a Tamron 90mm macro, and a Sigma 10-20mm wide angle. Of these lenses, the 18-135mm WR spends the most time on my camera (by a wide margin), followed by the 55-300mm PLM. Of course, which lens I am using depends a lot on what I happen to be shooting at the time. I think the 18-135mm definitely provides a lot of versatility for outdoor photography, while the 55-300mm PLM provides longer reach and faster focusing.

On the the K-70 vs. the KP, I would suggest you read the very good, detailed reviews available on PF. The KP has a number of great features that I really like, but one suggestion I would make is if you haven't actually handled both cameras, you do so before buying either. To me, the ergonomics of the two cameras are very different. The KP has three inter-changeable grips, but even using the largest one, for my medium-large hands the grip is not comfortable. I much prefer the depth and shape of the K-70 grip. For me, the control wheels on the K-70 are perfectly positioned. Having said that, in general, the KP features (including build quality) are better than the K-70's.

Bottom line: I don't think you could go wrong with either the K-70 or KP. Good luck with your decision!
04-16-2019, 08:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The KP is more fun.
04-16-2019, 08:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
What are the PROS & CONS of these two cameras using the same lens? The KP costs more than the K70. I picked up several different over the past several years. I am interested in these two cameras in the future. I have a Canon 70D now I am playing with now. I read a lot about Pentax and have a couple or friends who have Pentax and really like them.
For those who have these cameras what do you feel are the pros and cons of them? For me I do mostly out door photography animals, Birds. Lakes and Rivers and forests and parks and zoos. I do not do much video at all so I do not need a camera for video I can play with it from time to time. Feed back greatly appreciated. Thanks Bill
Right now the difference between the K-70 and the KP is about $200; for that $200 you get a better overall build quality and a different physical design.

* The K-70 has a fixed large grip; the KP has a choice of three grips {I'm using the smallest one}

* The K-70 has an articulating LCD; the KP has a tilting LCD

* The K-70 has 2 e-dials which allow you to change shutter-speed and aperture while keeping the camera lifted to your eye;
the KP has a 3rd e-dial which is user configurable .... I have mine configured to allow me to change ISO also while keeping the camera lifted to my eye.

* The K-70 looks a lot like other rounded DSLRs; the KP has a squared-off body reminiscent of how SLRs were designed thirty years ago.

There are several other functional differences which were explained to me here a few months ago; I carefully bookmarked them, but I accidentally lost them when i rebuilt my computer system a few months ago.

04-16-2019, 09:19 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
There are several other functional differences which were explained to me here a few months ago; I carefully bookmarked them, but I accidentally lost them when i rebuilt my computer system a few months ago.
At your service

KP vs K-70

Just a reminder of the some of the significant differences:

- Metering: 86K pixel vs 77 segment
- AF system: SAFOX11 (27 point) vs SAFOX 10 (11 point), plus new tracking algorithms
- Processor: Prime IV + accelerator vs Prime M II
- 3 Control wheels vs 2
- Shake Reduction: 5-axis SRII vs SR
- Ultrasonic DRII vs sensor shake DR
- Quiet shutter and motor aperture vs louder shutter and solenoid aperture.
- 7FPS vs 6FPS
- Magnesium body vs plastic.
- Electronic shutter option
- External battery grip option
04-16-2019, 09:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the KP and love it. I came from Pentax K-50 and K-30 so it was an easy transition but it has way more capabilities. It’s low light capabilities are probably one of the thing it is most known for. I do have the 18-135 lens which pairs well with the camera, but I also have the Sigma 17-50 2.8 which may get a little more use unless there is rain or snow, then definitely the 18-135. But my most used lens with this camera is the 55-300 PLM, a combination that seems to be made for each other. If you buy a 55-300 Pentax zoom make sure it is the PLM, it is very fast focusing and very compact. I’ll be taking the KP on a trip soon, along with the 55-300 PLM, Sigma 17-50, DA 15/4, F 50/1.7, and DA* 300. I’m not expecting bad weather so the faster Sigma zoom is going instead of the 18-135 WR.

I have not used the K-70, but I think it is a fine camera, I considered both, but the KP won out in the specs comparisons that mattered to me. The only thing I miss on the KP is the ability to use a wireless remote, but I get along fine using the delay or even a wired remote. And I wish it had a GPS instead of a built in flash, but that’s not a big deal. The low light ability is extremely good, as is the IQ.

You will like either camera, both are excellent. I would suggest go to the comparison feature here in Pentax Forums and see the differences, and decide which ones matter most to you. I think coming from a Canon 70 D you will be very happy with the Pentax image quality. I shoot a lot of outdoors, nature, wildlife, birds. I would recommend the DA 55-300 PLM due to the fast autofocus, good IQ, and general performance in a small size, also the DA*300 for its superior IQ, albeit slower focusing. I have not used the D FA 150-450, it is supposed to be outstanding.
04-16-2019, 09:50 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Coming from Canon - which I did four years ago - I'm guessing you'd like the DA 18-135mm DC and DA 55-300mm PLM lenses more than older Pentax offerings, because they will feel more like Canon offerings.

04-16-2019, 10:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to see this thread:
DA 18-135 WR, Show us what it can do - PentaxForums.com
04-17-2019, 01:47 AM   #9
Pentaxian

The 18-135 works well on both cameras. In my opinion (before and after purchase) the changeable grips on the KP are a silly gimmick, and even the biggest is too small to give a feeling of security - I prefer the large built-in contoured grip of the K-70. I also like the fully-articulated screen of the K-70, which enables shooting at low/high positions in both landscape and portrait orientation. However, both are excellent cameras, and I can live with those two negatives (for me) for the extras in the KP which others have listed above. In practice, the most significant difference for me has been the extra control dial on the KP - it's great to have instant control of three shooting parameters.

Philip
04-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #10
Pentaxian

The DA 16-85 is the Pentax, along with the DA 18-135, lens that people consider when looking for a general purpose zoom. It is a little more expensive, but higher quality. It depends whether the extra 2mm at the wide end and the superior edge-to-edge IQ is more important to you than the 85-135 at the long end. There are good arguments for both choices.

Last edited by Paul the Sunman; 04-17-2019 at 02:09 AM.
04-17-2019, 01:51 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Here is a link for comparison I find useful. Camera Comparison

Also here on the Pentax Forums.

My personal camera is the k-70.
04-17-2019, 02:46 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Due to the rarity of Stores carrying Pentax, I was unable to handle either a K-70 or KP as an upgrade to my K-5II. That alone nearly pushed me into the Nikon system. I rolled the dice on a KP from Camera Canada, uncertain that it would be much of an upgrade. Shooting with the KP over the past week the image quality is a significant improvement. At first the grips seemed odd and the slight change in ergonomics took adapting. I started with the large grip and have downsized to the medium grip over the past few day. The more I shoot with the KP the more natural it feels. Build quality is excellent but not the bullet proof tank that the K-5II is. I have medium hands and like the medium grip for Limited’s and lighter lenses. I will buy a battery grip for shooting with the DA* 60-250 but always used a grip on my K-5II when doing so.

Once you get used to the build quality of a premium camera body it may be difficult to go back. Go for the KP you’ll enjoy it!
04-17-2019, 03:00 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The KP is essentially a pro style design in a compact form for such a pro-build of camera. It offers the list of advantages given above. A much more advanced controls set than the K-70. The optional battery grip can be advantageous for a number of reasons, including a huge potential increase in battery life for lengthy continuous shooting, and a convenient set of double controls for lengthy vertical shooting, and also a better balance for overall handling when using heavier lenses. For those interested in more gripping surface, it provides that as well. It is a modular design in terms of matching ergonomics to the present need and attending lenses, as well as individual preferences.

I bought the silver version, and it is a beautiful camera. The DA 18-135mm lens is well suited to its design, as it is remarkably compact for having such a large and versatile zoom range.
04-17-2019, 03:49 AM - 1 Like   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I think the OP was asking more about the difference in image quality using his lens on both cameras, tho I could be mistaken. His interests in a Pentax are more casual than professional. IMHO he will see no difference whatsoever.

Both render essentially the same and with the same resolution. Both are easy to use. The differences won't be found in the photos but in the added features. Whether he needs or would use those extra features is subjective.

With that said I've found the K70 used outdoors hiking and such to be far more comfortable to use than the KP I rented. The K70's grip is deeper and more secure AND more comfortable IMO. I also never found an advantage in wildlife shooting with the KP. On the contrary even my *200 felt oddly imbalanced compared to being on the K70.

I'll be picking up a KP myself to use, there's some specific features related to portraiture that it includes, but for they type of shooting the OP will be doing I don't know that he'll benefit more from the KP

Last edited by gatorguy; 04-17-2019 at 03:58 AM.
04-17-2019, 11:56 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have the KP, the larger pro-style K-5 IIs, and the previous model to the K-70, the similarly-designed K-S2. If I use a larger lens such as my DA*200mm f/2.8, my preference with the KP is for the optional battery grip, though using just the larger grip works ok for me. It is mainly about gripping when not in the shooting position. When in shooting position with such a larger lens, I basically grip by the lens anyway. With the battery grip, the weight is around the same as the K-3 II, which is the subsequent design after the K-5 IIs but a few ounces heavier.

The KP has become my most used body, although each has something of its own to offer. All will provide very fine IQ, but that from the KP is outstanding with its superb low light capabilities and 5 axis SR II anti-shake. For those reasons, the DA 18-135mm lens can deliver its full potential when used on the KP. Balance with that lens is excellent, even without the battery grip. One of the standard grips, depending on the individual, will work well. For the smaller lenses, like the Limited series for example, I much prefer the smallest of the 3 grips. I find the ability to change grips to suit the situation to be useful, and not a gimmick. If one always wants a large camera, then it is lost on them.

Actually, for hiking and the like, especially with more compact lenses, it is then the KP can provide advantages its design concept addresses- a compact pro-built field camera for advanced users, including those owning a FF K-1.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-17-2019 at 12:13 PM.