Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-05-2019, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
That is not how it works.
Thanks Steve. So AF/FA will work to correct AF lenses and also the green hexagon focus confirmation (useful with manual focus lenses) but wont do anything for a misaligned focus screen which is the case here.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was not sure.

05-07-2019, 04:00 AM - 1 Like   #32
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Thanks Steve. So AF/FA will work to correct AF lenses and also the green hexagon focus confirmation (useful with manual focus lenses) but wont do anything for a misaligned focus screen which is the case here.

Thanks for clarifying that. I was not sure.
and here's another point - the lens calibration function in the camera corrects for errors in the lenses, not in the relationship of the focusing screen to the prism and mirror.
05-21-2019, 07:02 AM - 1 Like   #33

Original Poster
Further to focusing screens, I found an older post of a user who took one out of a Pentax ME Super and filed it down to size. Is that a good idea? I see a Split Matte screen on offer from Japan at £325 so how can such a price be justified?
05-24-2019, 03:29 PM - 2 Likes   #34
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by dlh Quote
and here's another point - the lens calibration function in the camera corrects for errors in the lenses
That is only partly correct. AF errors can be caused by the lens, or by the AF sensor being out of perfect alignment, or both.

05-25-2019, 04:26 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

Ultra high prices usually mean that they don't have the item in stock.

As for cutting down a screen, you can fo it, but they are pretty easy to damage as the plastic they are made from is optical quality and is easy to scratch - you don't have to stick to pentax if you want to cut down a screen, I cut an old nikon screen down to fit one of my canon film cameras, the thing there is I'm kinda handy with tools, and I got the nikon screen for about $5.

Looking on Ebay I'm seeing k10d focus screens pretty cheap with free postage from asia, I'd probably look at those.
05-29-2019, 02:10 AM - 1 Like   #36
Forum Member

i just bought this as replacement the old one for my K70, not sure if it make any improvement??

05-29-2019, 05:43 AM - 1 Like   #37
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by KoolKool Quote
i just bought this as replacement the old one for my K70, not sure if it make any improvement??
That looks like an autofocus screen, and doesn't appear to have the microprisms being discussed here. Is that what you're going for?

05-29-2019, 09:39 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The only metering problems I have had were with spot-metering. As might be expected, the center split does throw things off when using the spot meter mode. Other than that, things are good and comparable to the stock screen.

Steve
Are the metering errors consistent, so you can correct with exposure compensation, or are they 'all over the place'?

Edit: Forget it! I found the answer in later posts. :-)

Last edited by deus ursus; 05-29-2019 at 11:38 AM.
05-31-2019, 10:31 AM - 2 Likes   #39
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by deus ursus Quote
Are the metering errors consistent, so you can correct with exposure compensation, or are they 'all over the place'?

Edit: Forget it! I found the answer in later posts. :-)
As you discovered...totally off the wall...one can't meter off the middle of the "split".

Steve
10-01-2019, 07:58 AM - 1 Like   #40
Unregistered User

Ok, I've had it with "focusingscreens.com". The one for the K-50 did work fine, but the one for the K-1 has incorrect dimensions - it can't go into the tray properly since the holding tab is located too far to the center and interferes with the metal lip on the tray - guaranteeing distortion - could not be adjusted front-to-back, in part because the little plastic "shims" supplied came in a warped condition which did not relax over time, even under pressure. No telling what sizes they are, either. They don't tell you up front that these things aren't really made for Pentax cameras (a violation of consumer protection laws where I live), indeed, they don't make them at all. As @Stevebrot confirms, they're made by Canon and apparently purchased by the FocusingScreen people and cut down (in this case, rather badly). So one of them was fine, the other was a disaster; and the question I then pose to the assembled multitude is this: you want to risk a hundred bucks on a fifty-fifty chance it might work in your camera?

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
One thing you could try is to use the AF/FA menu to adjust the focus to compensate for that backfocus **....
Thanks, but this issue has nothing to do with autofocus; manual focus can only be calibrated by mechanical adjustments.
11-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #41
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Fascinating info. Seeing the problems with spot metering and a central focusing aid, wonder if a company couldn't solve this problem if they wanted? Could the split image focusing aid be moved slightly away from center so the spot meter would work? Or perhaps leave the focusing aid in the center and move the spot metering to the left or right with a mark on the screen to show its location? The latter would probably be the best. Spot meter use is a slower work flow. Who cares if the spot is in the exact center? Just turn, or tilt camera slightly to put spot meter on the desired subject.

Thanks,
barondla