Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 08:01 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wlachan Quote
Guess I am living in a parallel universe cos my 40D with EF-S 17-55/2.8IS & EF 70-200/4L IS can AF faster and better than any Pentax that I have owned, especially in low light.
Yes, I got to say, that is the conventional wisdom. That is why I was so surprised when I saw the guy having so much trouble. Heck, the subject was a quarter mile away in good light (your basic landscape shot). I was going to ask if it was a frequent issue that might indicate a manufacturing defect, but thought that would be inappropriate from a stranger.

Now the interesting point is that the guy was a Brit visiting from Manchester. Same guy maybe?

Steve

10-06-2008, 06:16 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by patrickt Quote
I have one lens, an older 24-90mm which will not AF often enough to make it worthwhile to even try. I use MF. My 16-45mm is better but I still use MF often with it.
Have you tried using the popup flash? It's the K10D's AF assist lamp.

FWIW, the D300/D700 (tried a friend's) AF really quickly in low light, but the interesting thing is they both kick in the AF assist white LED a *lot* sooner than the K10D does for the AF assist popup. Thought that was an interesting tidbit.
I think the main gripe is Pentax's AF takes longer as light dims while competitors seem to take the same amount of time as AF in brighter conditions.
10-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
Thats why some many of us get a little testy when this crap is thrown around....some of us have had similar experiences to yours and know the reality.

Maybe you should start your own blog page.

Whats more, your testing methods are, I reckon, absolutely beyond reproach. I mean, how more scientific can you get than a group of blokes in a pub for a Sunday afternoon testing cameras...?????????? .....

In fact, do you do tests on request? .....mate I can dream up a whole heap of scenarios for you to put to the test next Sunday.
Bring it on! Love to.

In all seriousness, I can only comment on what I have found when comparing two separate cameras in the same scenario. I know its not in a lab, but a pub was the next best thing, especially as our shooting was cut short due to the weather.
I was only glad I was not comparing my other friends 1D mk3 to the Pentax......

It is just a shame, that when I put the comment of good news (from my standpoint) some people STILL want to knock Pentax someway. I thought this site was to share comments, tips etc, and hail our choise of camera. Yet...........

Oh well, I still stand my thread, and in my opinion (and surprise) that the low light in Pentax is not as bad as we thought, and certain rival cameras are worse, and their users admit that.
10-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Something must have been stuffed with your friend's 40D. My 40D is insanely fast, even with the SLOW 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS (I'd imagine the 17-55mm f/2.8 would be even faster) Put a EF 85mm f/1.8 on and it will blow you away.

This is like those threads where someone says "The pro at the wedding had a D300 and it stayed on the Green box. The pictures were awful. Ergo, the D300 sucks" No, the photographer sucked

10-06-2008, 01:13 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
do some macros of bubbles climbing through an ale.
10-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Now I'm thirsty. And it's only 4:14 PM over here
10-06-2008, 01:51 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Blue Quote
do some macros of bubbles climbing through an ale.
I will give it a go this weekend.... Before I drink the beer. Otherwise it will be a shot lost
10-06-2008, 02:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Answer to original post.

Thats why i went with Nikon over Canon, but i'v said this before, even my Nikon gear can and will hunt i certain light conditions. Not as bad as my Pentax stuff.

Not thats i'm knocking my Pentax gear, never have, never will, just saying, ALL manufactures have some problems, eventually.

Why do i read and then respond to this BS.

Dave

10-06-2008, 06:43 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote
Does it really matter Deejjaaaa? The fact of the matter was that it was a Canon lens with motor drive and IS. It should not make any difference what lens was on the Canon, the fact of the matter was the it would not focus....Simple really.
The lens matters a lot. Not only is the aperture important, the weight of the glass will also affect AF speed (although not the camera's ability to actually focus, just the speed). A lens with a larger maximum aperture will let in more light, which will help the camera focus. Furthermore, the quality of the lens glass and design is also important: a contrasty lens will AF better than a low contrast lens, even if they're the same aperture, because the AF algorithms work by looking for the setting that provides the maximum contrast within the AF sensor region.

A K10D with FA 50mm f/1.4 will probably smoke a Nikon D300 with 18-70mm f/3.5-4.5 in low light.
10-06-2008, 06:55 PM   #25

Why, oh, please tell me why it is so difficult for Pentax to come out with an in-body AF assist-beam which can be triggerred by the shutter button half-pressed? I bet 99.9% of all our low-light hunting will disappear with just this 'magic solution'. Please hit me on my head, and tell me that I am nothing but a fool.
10-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #26
Veteran Member

I've experienced the same thing taking shots at a school function in a dim auditorium. The Canon dad and the Nikon dad were both doing the "refocus fidget" trying to get their cameras to lock on, while I rarely had problems. Of course, that doesn't fit conventional wisdom, so it must be a fluke somehow.

Meanwhile, all the P&S's in the crowd were steadily flashing away.
10-07-2008, 04:39 AM   #27
Pentaxian

My sons girlfriend has a C 450d and she used my 10D at a visit to a game lodge.

She was VERY impressed with the Pentax, especially with it's focusing, and jpeg colours.

Kit lens vs kit lens - no comparison (Pentax wins)

I shoot rock-climbing bouldering contests- grunge lighting,music, 6 contestants climbing simultaneously, 1600 Iso, fill flash, chalk dust flying around, contestants falling on you - never have I had a problem with the focusing of the K10d

Incidentally I'm sure that DPreview compared raw outputs between the K10d and the C 40d and the K10 was better.

Price for price nothing comes close to the K10d - period

Unfortunately this model was way under marketed and has been put on the shelf
10-07-2008, 07:33 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I did a little research recently on the 40d because I am thinking about getting one. From what I read if it can't lock focus in this setting than the user didn't take one of the default settings off in the menu. I can't remember which one it is, but when this problem was posted on the C forum, everyone posted what to change and the owner was happy.
10-08-2008, 05:37 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Not sure what setting they're talking about. Pretty much out of the box, as long as you're in One Shot focus (~AF-S), it will lock focus. If you're in AI-Servo, it will never "beep" it is continually re-focusing as it tracks the object. Additionally, if you're trying to focus on something closer than the lenses MFD, it will "hunt" back and forth.

QuoteOriginally posted by FuzzyOne Quote
I did a little research recently on the 40d because I am thinking about getting one. From what I read if it can't lock focus in this setting than the user didn't take one of the default settings off in the menu. I can't remember which one it is, but when this problem was posted on the C forum, everyone posted what to change and the owner was happy.
10-08-2008, 05:38 AM   #30
Veteran Member

Guess the OP never came back; I was hoping he and his friend figured out what was wrong with the 40D, because it really should excel at low-light autofocusing.