Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2008, 03:52 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Positive news about Pentax AF over Canon....

I thought I would post this as it is positive about the Pentax AF in low light.

Well, yesterday a group of us were in Blackpool and had to go into a pub to dry out (it was a monsoon....). Anyway, as we were all photographers we talked and played with each others SLR's

Well I was using my K10D taking some candids in the pub, not exactly low light, but hunting was minimal. However I tried a mates EOS 40D......Guess what? it would not even try to focus, not even hunt, only the portrait flash doing its usual so that the camera could attempt to focus, but nil, nowt, nada.

My mate explained that in low(ish) light he often had this problem.

Great! I thought, something that we all complain about frequently, is in reality not that bad at all, only noisy.......

So there you go, The Pentax AF, is not as bad as we think, and far better than the rival EOS 40D......

As a post script, I did try another friends 40D, in daylight with motor drive lens (Canon's own I might add), and it was no faster than my K10 with a DA* lens.
Interesting to know that the Canon rival cameras to the Pentax, are no better than Pentax, and you have to go to the 1D Mk3 (two friends have these and they are FAST!) to get faster AF than the Pentax.
The Nikon D700 is fast as well, but thats another story.......

Last edited by offertonhatter; 10-05-2008 at 04:02 PM.
10-05-2008, 04:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by offertonhatter Quote

Well, yesterday a group of us were in Blackpool and had to go into a pub to dry out (it was a monsoon....). Anyway, as we were all photographers we talked and played with each others SLR's

Well I was using my K10D taking some candids in the pub, not exactly low light, but hunting was minimal. However I tried a mates EOS 40D......Guess what? it would not even try to focus, not even hunt, only the portrait flash doing its usual so that the camera could attempt to focus, but nil, nowt, nada.

Great! I thought, something that we all complain about frequently, is in reality not that bad at all, only noisy.......

So there you go, The Pentax AF, is not as bad as we think, and far better than the rival EOS 40D......

As a post script, I did try another friends 40D, in daylight with motor drive lens (Canon's own I might add), and it was no faster than my K10 with a DA* lens.
Interesting to know that the Canon rival cameras to the Pentax, are no better than Pentax, and you have to go to the 1D Mk3 (two friends have these and they are FAST!) to getting faster AF than the Pentax.
I know and its been said before, and I happen to agree, but good news is seldom of interest around here. Instead we have our own professional complainers. Dont know what Pentax did to deserve it!
10-05-2008, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

which lenses exactly canon body was using was omitted... based on the OP's signature he was using K10D + 50-135/2.8... what was on Canon ? 2.8 ? or dark kit ?
10-05-2008, 04:18 PM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had a similar experience recently only the light was not bad, just hazy. Again, it was a 40D. The guy was trying to do a landscape facing east just before sundown and the camera would not acquire focus. Hunt, hunt, hunt. Finally he gave up, switched to manual and took the picture.

Steve

10-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Does it really matter Deejjaaaa? The fact of the matter was that it was a Canon lens with motor drive and IS. It should not make any difference what lens was on the Canon, the fact of the matter was the it would not focus....Simple really. In case you are interested, I think it might have been canons own 17-85, I was not interested in the canon lens, only the focussing.

Oh BTW,I put my nifty fifty on too whilst we are in the pub, but again, no problems at all.

Just checked to put Deejjaaaa's mind at rest, it was the 17-55mm F2.8 and wide open. So there you go.

Last edited by offertonhatter; 10-05-2008 at 04:47 PM.
10-05-2008, 04:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I had a similar experience recently only the light was not bad, just hazy. Again, it was a 40D. The guy was trying to do a landscape facing east just before sundown and the camera would not acquire focus. Hunt, hunt, hunt. Finally he gave up, switched to manual and took the picture.

Steve
Funny you should say that. Dave, the owner of the 40D, said exactly the same thing. He had to put it into manual to focus. How bad is that!
10-05-2008, 05:00 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting to know that the Canon rival cameras to the Pentax, are no better than Pentax, and you have to go to the 1D Mk3 (two friends have these and they are FAST!) to get faster AF than the Pentax.
Thats why some many of us get a little testy when this crap is thrown around....some of us have had similar experiences to yours and know the reality.

Maybe you should start your own blog page.

Whats more, your testing methods are, I reckon, absolutely beyond reproach. I mean, how more scientific can you get than a group of blokes in a pub for a Sunday afternoon testing cameras...?????????? .....

In fact, do you do tests on request? .....mate I can dream up a whole heap of scenarios for you to put to the test next Sunday.

10-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #8

Remember that the 40D has focusing problems not all but a few alot of them and there´s a lot of returns to customer service. Maybe the one you tested was one of the bad ones.
10-05-2008, 05:47 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
... and had to go into a pub to dry out ...
Only in Britain...

Sorry, I just found the lead in too funny to pass up.

Definitely nice to see positive insights for a change around here.
10-05-2008, 06:00 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have seen the same thing with a Canon 5D. It had a tough time focusing with the 24-105 IS lens outdoors on a freakin' billboard (talk about contrast). The original Minolta Maxxum 7000 could focus in that situation! Grass is always greener.
thanks
barondla

Check out POINT & SHOOT CONTEST #11 WINNERS in P&S forum. Enter #12. Any brand camera. Any subject. Enter now!
10-05-2008, 06:16 PM   #11

I liked my Pentax IstD and I like my K10D. I have absolutely no interest in Canon. I don't care if a Canon should be used as a boat anchor. The fact is, I have one lens, an older 24-90mm which will not AF often enough to make it worthwhile to even try. I use MF. My 16-45mm is better but I still use MF often with it. I would like for Pentax to come up with a killer AF system.
10-05-2008, 06:20 PM   #12

Does it really matter Deejjaaaa? The fact of the matter was that it was a Canon lens with motor drive and IS. It should not make any difference what lens was on the Canon, the fact of the matter was the it would not focus....Simple really. In case you are interested, I think it might have been canons own 17-85, I was not interested in the canon lens, only the focussing.

Oh BTW,I put my nifty fifty on too whilst we are in the pub, but again, no problems at all.

Just checked to put Deejjaaaa's mind at rest, it was the 17-55mm F2.8 and wide open. So there you go.
Actually the lens would matter because if it was a fast lens it would show the low quality of the AF in low light. But if the max aperture was 4.5 and your max was 2.8 there is a difference. I am sure the Pentax is ultimately the better but I am just saying the lens does have something to do with it.
10-05-2008, 06:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

wide open, really ? and how it can't be wide open for the focus purposes ? now you probably know how to handle 40D so good that you can stop that lens down for autofocusing purposes
10-05-2008, 06:39 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Nice read, and I think good to read something really positive, instead of the damn knockers all the time. (Ricehigh where are you??) Well done, mate.

And thanks for a great post Mallee Boy. Well worded that!!
10-05-2008, 06:45 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Guess I am living in a parallel universe cos my 40D with EF-S 17-55/2.8IS & EF 70-200/4L IS can AF faster and better than any Pentax that I have owned, especially in low light. If I had time, I enjoy my Pentax. If I need to shoot something quick, I grab my 40D. BTW, the lenses matter a lot on AF performance. No bashing, just my experience.