Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
04-24-2019, 05:14 PM   #1
Forum Member

Kx - Date requiring reset

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

My Kx now has to have the date and time reset when I change batteries etc. It never used to do this .Does it have small internal battery that prevents this and does it need a replacement? ( It may not be worth it as I use it as a backup to my K 70.)

Any comments?

04-24-2019, 05:35 PM   #2

Correct, there is a small backup battery or "super" capacitor for the clock soldered to the main board. Replacing the component is not a trivial task as it involves removing the main board in order to access the soldering points.
04-25-2019, 01:46 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for that. I doubt I is worth replacing then unless it corrodes the internals.
05-05-2019, 06:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
not a simple DIY job.
It is annoying with a 3,4 years old camera act like this. I had my Pentax Q did the same.

07-03-2021, 12:30 PM   #5

I currently have my KX in bits, to remove the internal battery (capacitor) in case it leaks. Even worse than changing it on the K30 as the battery is located under the main rear PCB. Have now taken it off and trying to locate a substitute - assuming the K30 type will probably be OK but still looking into it. Anyone know?
07-04-2021, 08:33 PM   #6

Photogem said the K-x uses a different battery than the K-30. Search his posts to get the model number.
07-08-2021, 10:31 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two K-x cameras and neither has yet required the date to be re-set with AA battery change. I bought the first one new in June, 2010 and the second was bought used in December 2012. Both still functioning well.

07-09-2021, 10:06 AM - 1 Like   #8

Don't know if the life of the internal battery is affected by whether the main batteries are kept powered (rather than flat) or not. The internal battery on my KX died after about 5 years and I have just replaced it!
The battery (not capacitor) I replaced with is this one: Seiko replacement 3V MS621 rechargeable coin button cell battery Lithium Li-ion | eBay and it works perfectly.
Unlike the K30, the battery is not on the back of the main PCB but underneath it - which is harder to access and I desoldered 8 wires to lift the bottom edge to get to it.
Will post pics over the weekend.
07-11-2021, 10:46 AM - 2 Likes   #9

Two pictures from the KX battery change. Two KX pics attached.
07-11-2021, 05:41 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Bradford Quote
Richard, you are braver man than I. The way I do things I'd probably get every wire on the board soldered together.
07-12-2021, 07:14 AM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
Richard, you are braver man than I. The way I do things I'd probably get every wire on the board soldered together.
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's great to see how to do this, though. I don't see any reason Pentax couldn't have put the battery on the other side of that board, the space isn't even used. And imagine if it had a little clip rather than solder points, like a CMOS battery on a PC motherboard.

Richard Bradford, thanks for sharing!
07-12-2021, 02:38 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
That's exactly what I was thinking. It's great to see how to do this, though. I don't see any reason Pentax couldn't have put the battery on the other side of that board, the space isn't even used. And imagine if it had a little clip rather than solder points, like a CMOS battery on a PC motherboard.

Richard Bradford, thanks for sharing!
Perhaps the space needed for the battery is not sufficient to allow the battery's dimensions, diameter and/or thickness.
07-12-2021, 03:00 PM - 1 Like   #13

Great points. I actually thought of soldering a short cable to the battery points on the PCB, so the battery itself could be accessed without removing the PCB in future - heat shrink could have easily covered it to avoid shorting against any components. There is physical space to do this. Think Pentax chose to put the battery under the PCB as, surface mount wise, there is not space to put it on the back, as it is on the K30. No idea what they changed component wise to make this impossible - guessing internal battery replacement wasn't their biggest concern when designing the PCB layout.

---------- Post added 07-12-21 at 03:05 PM ----------

Think I only just avoided soldering everything together, Chas. Bravery had nothing to do with it - am just stubborn and had decided to accept the outcome, what ever it might be. Was slightly surprised and very much delighted when it all powered on fine after reassembly. Feels like a new lease of life for the camera now. I even decided to learn what the 'green button' does. Will be getting some extra lenses next...
07-12-2021, 04:44 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Richard Bradford Quote
[/COLOR]Think I only just avoided soldering everything together, Chas. Bravery had nothing to do with it - am just stubborn and had decided to accept the outcome, what ever it might be. Was slightly surprised and very much delighted when it all powered on fine after reassembly. Feels like a new lease of life for the camera now. I even decided to learn what the 'green button' does. Will be getting some extra lenses next...
There is a Yvon Bourque e-book on the K-x. That may be of help to you.
07-13-2021, 04:24 PM   #15

QuoteOriginally posted by Photos-by-Chas Quote
There is a Yvon Bourque e-book on the K-x. That may be of help to you.
Thanks, Chas.