Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2019, 01:02 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
There is not enough detail on the trees. A full strength HDR shot would have had that. So my guess is that it is possible to replicate this in one shot. I'm not knocking the K5 but a more modern sensor would be of some help in this regard.

04-25-2019, 03:53 PM   #17

I have had success pulling details out of the shadows in Raw shots from my K-5 like this. I do two different exposures in Camera Raw and then blend in Photoshop.

I have had good luck using HDR to shoot through windows from a dark inside to a sunny outside. I have not tried it for sunsets.
04-25-2019, 04:18 PM - 1 Like   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
There is not enough detail on the trees. A full strength HDR shot would have had that. So my guess is that it is possible to replicate this in one shot. I'm not knocking the K5 but a more modern sensor would be of some help in this regard.
I didn't want more details on the tress. The K5s dynamic range is higher than the newer models except for the full frame K1

---------- Post added 04-25-19 at 07:19 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Yeah, the trees in the background and the one in the front are basically silhouettes, Robert.

When all's said and done, you've exposed for the sky.
Thats the way I wanted it lol I could have shown more details in the trees but didn't like it as well
04-25-2019, 04:30 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Actually, the silhouette effect is nice, especially with the tree. To open shadows some, the easiest way would be using a grad ND filter for the shot, about a 2-stop would be effective, yet still providing some silhouetting. Your bracketing technique simply was not extreme enough- you needed to bracket a wider range of exposure. My KP, and probably other current models, has a 3-shot bracketed setting via a dial setting, adjustable as to the exposure degree. I have found it to be very effective.

You could try a bit of "fill-flash effect in photoshop to see what that brings.

04-25-2019, 04:38 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by robert Quote

Thats the way I wanted it lol I could have shown more details in the trees but didn't like it as well
Okay, but then this is not a good example to demonstrate your question, Robert, since HDR isn't needed to generate a silhouette.

04-25-2019, 04:46 PM   #21
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
Nah, Mossy Oaks, that didn't turn out bad at all. The way the trees are silhouetted in your photo make a much more interesting photo than just the washed out trees in Norm's photo that are supposedly more properly exposed.
If you decide you don't like the "washed out" trees, you can always make them black as in the original image. But if you like "washed out" you can do it with a better exposure. I'm not sure you know what "washed out" means, I'm not sure you're using it correctly.
04-26-2019, 09:55 AM   #22
Veteran Member

In reply to the OP, the answer is Yes.

I could probably get it with my Samsung S7 phone

Expose for the sky and obviously shoot in RAW, then pull up the shadows in Lightroom/etc.
04-26-2019, 10:35 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Darktable's LP filter can recover details from dark areas. First meter the photo to brightest spot and then apply following LPF technique. Important parameter is contrast, it should be -ve. This brightens dull areas and dims bright areas.

Using lowpass filter to recover shadows | darktable