Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote

Do you use AF microadjustment ? If yes, on which lenses and bodies ?
An odd question, Antonio … since all lenses and bodies have manufacturing tolerances, one person's setting is not another guide for anybody else's!

And the principle applies to all brands. Some like Nikon don't provide the owner a way of doing it (with their lower end models, you have to get it done by a repairer). Pentax don't skimp like that.

04-30-2019, 11:59 PM - 1 Like   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by AntonioS Quote
My previous Canon lenses also had front/back issues but nothing like large correction numbers I see with Pentax with some people setting to -10 and up !!!! This is crazy.
PDAF is not the 100% accurate focussing tool many folks thought it was. It was only as sensors beefed up their MP count this became apparent. Manufacturing tolerances mean that some adjustment is needed or desirable in some cases. I for one am very happy that Pentax along with other manufacturers provide this option. + or - 10 is not crazy, it is simply within the allowable user adjustable range. Unless someone has done very scientific testing who knows whether a Pentax +10 is any more of a physical adjustment than a Canon +5 ?

If you do have a camera that requires an adjustment at the limits and are concerned you are free to send it back to Pentax to have it adjusted under warranty so it requires zero adjustment.

My K1 is now 2.5 years old and the adjustments I need (+8 on average) have not changed at all over that time. So it is a one-off adjustment then you are good to go for the life of the camera.
05-01-2019, 02:50 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The only two of my lenses that have needed auto focus adjustment (on any body) or my DA *55 and a recently purchased Sigma 50-150 f2.8. The rest of them were all fine out of the box. But Clackers is right, it doesn't really matter what others have found, the big thing is to adjust your particular lenses for your particular bodies. Auto focus adjustment isn't a big deal and I don't worry about it, unlike things like decentering, when I purchase a new lens. As long as I can adjust the camera to take decent photos with the lens, that's the big thing.
05-01-2019, 06:24 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Manufacturing tolerances mean that some adjustment is needed or desirable in some cases. I for one am very happy that Pentax along with other manufacturers provide this option. + or - 10 is not crazy,
So true. Though I've calibrated most of my lenses, it's usually desired, not required. The only required adjustment was to my DA 50 mm 1.8 at -4. Most adjustments are to better center the focus point in the DoF, which can be substantial in slower lenses. Hence the -10 adjustment to my 18-55 was not needed to achieve sharp auto focus, it simply moved the average focus point toward the center of DoF. Calibrating my lenses to the camera might not always be necessary, but it gives me greater confidence in my equipment.