Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 175 Likes Search this Thread
05-10-2019, 02:14 AM   #151
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by stihlmania Quote
The thermostat stuck open is a normal GM code these days, back then it was not!
How does the system see it?

Is there a sensor on the thermostat?

Or does the computer use logic and make the determination based on data from the coolant temp sensor and how long the engine has been running since the most recent startup?

On a side note the O2 sensors these days are one of the most reliable parts on our engines. Don't replace them without testing...........
This was over 20 years ago. O2 sensors were quite good then too.

I never once had the need to change one out.

Now camshaft position sensors on Diesel engines, well, my road service bag had one in it. Every time the foreman sent me out for a line truck that had shut down unexpectedly and was sitting on the roadside I could guarantee it was a cam sensor.

The linemen thought I was pretty good, roll up, open the hood, swap out the sensor, and tell the driver to fire it up.

Worked every time.

05-10-2019, 05:09 AM   #152
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Maybe now that Tata owns River things will change.....
They don't. They purchased the rights to use the Rover name, along with a few other leftovers of the UK car industry like Daimler and Lanchester. But nothing of the Rover manufacturing company still exists...even the tooling was scrapped and the premises sold. They now take their own models, put the Rover badge on it, put it on a ship, then con the gullible out of European prices for Indian domestic-market vehicles.

However, I think you are referring to Land Rover (and Range Rover), which were once sub-brands of Rover and are now also owned (as part of Jaguar Land Rover) by Tata, but are still designed and manufactured primarily in the UK. Tata basically just owns the holding company, but it operates independently.
05-10-2019, 05:17 AM   #153
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by victormeldrew Quote
However, I think you are referring to Land Rover (and Range Rover), which were once sub-brands of Rover and are now also owned (as part of Jaguar Land Rover) by Tata, but are still designed and manufactured primarily in the UK. Tata basically just owns the holding company, but it operates independently.
As of today, there are rumours that Jaguar Land Rover may be acquired by PSA, the French group that owns Peugeot, Citroën, Opel and Vauxhall...
05-10-2019, 05:20 AM   #154
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
As of today, there are rumours that Jaguar Land Rover may be acquired by PSA, the French group that owns Peugeot, Citroën, Opel and Vauxhall...
Yes, the holding company is a popular target. Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover are all extremely valuable brands. But it would be a fool who would do anything other than take financial ownership...their value is due to their engineering and design, and to interfere, particularly with a view to 'efficiency and cost-cutting', would be folly.

05-10-2019, 05:55 AM   #155
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
How does the system see it?

Is there a sensor on the thermostat?

Or does the computer use logic and make the determination based on data from the coolant temp sensor and how long the engine has been running since the most recent startup?

This was over 20 years ago. O2 sensors were quite good then too.

I never once had the need to change one out.

Now camshaft position sensors on Diesel engines, well, my road service bag had one in it. Every time the foreman sent me out for a line truck that had shut down unexpectedly and was sitting on the roadside I could guarantee it was a cam sensor.

The linemen thought I was pretty good, roll up, open the hood, swap out the sensor, and tell the driver to fire it up.

Worked every time.
They don't. They purchased the rights to use the Rover name, along with a few other leftovers of the UK car industry like Daimler and Lanchester. But nothing of the Rover manufacturing company still exists...even the tooling was scrapped and the premises sold. They now take their own models, put the Rover badge on it, put it on a ship, then con the gullible out of European prices for Indian domestic-market vehicles.

Yes, the holding company is a popular target. Jaguar, Land Rover and Range Rover are all extremely valuable brands. But it would be a fool who would do anything other than take financial ownership...their value is due to their engineering and design, and to interfere, particularly with a view to 'efficiency and cost-cutting', would be folly.
Just to post some BS....Ford is going to acquire Pentax and make a camera entirely out of aluminum! NO DISRESPECT FOR ALL THE GEAR HEADS ON THIS POST!
But wasn't this THREAD about PENTAX/RICOH!
05-10-2019, 06:16 AM - 3 Likes   #156
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SharkyCA Quote
NO DISRESPECT FOR ALL THE GEAR HEADS ON THIS POST!
But wasn't this THREAD about PENTAX/RICOH!
I'd apologise to the OP for going off topic, but since I am the OP, I get out of jail free this time
05-10-2019, 07:11 AM - 5 Likes   #157
Pentaxian

I'd apologise to the OP for going off topic, but since I am the OP, I get out of jail free this time
Ah, so now we are talking about a PentaxForum design defect -- thread topic-ture solenoid failure -- in which the thread gets stuck on some other topic.

05-10-2019, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #158
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That is how I typically checked the oil on my Triumph or Norton motorcycles back before 1972,,,, no oil leakage, no oil......my 1973 Honda CB 500 never leaked oil so I had to re-learn how to check the dipstick!
British ingenuity beating Japanese efficiency
05-10-2019, 08:12 AM - 5 Likes   #159
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
Ah, so now we are talking about a PentaxForum design defect -- thread topic-ture solenoid failure -- in which the thread gets stuck on some other topic.
I have the perfect meme for this situation.

No applause please, just throw money at me.
05-10-2019, 08:29 AM - 2 Likes   #160
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photoptimist Quote
The perils of modern day internet-media discourse.

Imagine trying to explain all this to a time traveller from the past who thought the wheel was high tech.
05-10-2019, 08:53 AM - 2 Likes   #161
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The perils of modern day internet-media discourse.

Imagine trying to explain all this to a time traveller from the past who thought the wheel was high tech.
Or a time traveller from the future, although it's harder to imagine what a time traveller from the future would think. I suspect there's an awful lot of our current thinking and practice that is going to have to be cast aside if we are going to survive the next hundred years.

Or maybe we just don't have a future. At the current pace fo global warming, Canada has warmed 1.7 ºC over the last 100 years, a 12º increase would mean hothouse climate uninhabitable by large numbers of humans. It's starting to look like collectively, we don't have the capacity to anticipate and react to that kind of change. Especially since it take foresight. By the time we see the hothouse environment, it will be way to late to reverse it.
05-10-2019, 10:38 AM - 1 Like   #162
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I seem to be the most guilty one for going off topic, sorry. My self- imposed punishment shall be 2 days of no telephoto usage!!!
05-10-2019, 12:34 PM - 1 Like   #163
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

I seem to be the most guilty one for going off topic, sorry. My self- imposed punishment shall be 2 days of no telephoto usage!!!
Don't be so hard on yourself.

Say three hail hociRs and eat a bunch of bacon.
05-10-2019, 12:36 PM   #164
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Or a time traveller from the future, although it's harder to imagine what a time traveller from the future would think. I suspect there's an awful lot of our current thinking and practice that is going to have to be cast aside if we are going to survive the next hundred years.
We are going to need to change our way of thinking to overcome the limitations of long distance space travel, if we ever want to explore the cosmos.
05-10-2019, 12:58 PM - 3 Likes   #165
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
And now, folks - interesting though this off-shoot in the conversation may be - I'd be awfully grateful if we could return to the topic (this BigMackCam guy hasn't helped, frankly)

Thank you